UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@rgottinger wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

Not much choice out there, is there?

So Bell isn't better?

Not so simple to ask why I am still a subscriber. First of all, for me, no Bell isn't better. While the FIBE TV itself may well be better that the current Navigatr fiasco, as far as I can tell it requires me to take a Bell internet package (since after all it *is* internet TV) and in that category Rogers' higher speed and capacity plans are FAR superior (or at least were the last time I checked a couple of weeks ago). Plus as a 30-year customer, I am privy to some substantial retention/loyalty savings that no doubt could not be duplicated elsewhere.  I feel genuinely stuck between a rock and a hard place. Rogers has the superior bundle (for me) at a better price, but the trade-off is I have to hold my nose at the stench of Navigatr. 

Same here and Bell is not cheaper by any stretch of the imagination as i have looked into it several times. The difference for me is its just television and my life doesn't hinge on it. I don't see Navigatr as awesome but i clearly don't have as big an issue with it either. If the stench is truly that bad then is the superior bundle really worth it?

Well, to be fair, I am no doubt engaging in a little bit of hyperbole to make the point. Yes, it is only TV and no, my life doesn't hinge on it either. In point of fact, to me, the Internet speed and capacity is actually even more important which is one reason why I will not switch to Bell. I mean  it's not as if the TV doesn't work at all.....

But the fact is that they have taken a very workable system, pedestrian and not full of bells and whistles for sure, but one that WORKED quite well for all of us, and in the name of "progress" have made it far worse than the system it replaces. And this galls us all here, especially when we are not getting a lower price for lower performance. And especially since Rogers seems to want to stonewall us and just pretend the issues are all in our minds or they condescend to us with  "there there you will just get used to it".

So yes, that gives off a huge stench. But it's not like a life-threatening emergency so yes, let's keep it in perspective.

My surmise on what's happened is that Rogers was totally asleep at the switch and got duped by Espial into committing to a product that well over-promised and hugely under-delivers. And now they are stuck with a hugely embarrassing business blunder and lots of  egg on their face, but have no clue what to do about it (in the short term at least). So they dabble a bit here and there at the edges and they stonewall until most of us either quit complaining or just "get used to it".  

Well, I am unfortunately "getting used to it" but I will NOT stop complaining until they release the product they should have released from the beginning. Not as long as I am paying good money for it at least.....

I Plan to Stick Around

Let's also not lose sight of the fact that this is the 2ND rollout of Navigator.And yet there were/are still many problems with it.So what happened between the 2 rollouts?Apparently it wasn't testing.

I Plan to Stick Around

@rgottinger wrote:

Not much choice out there, is there?

So Bell isn't better?

Who knows?  There are unhappy people there too!  Better the devil you know?  But as long as I AM a subscriber, I can demand my money's worth....and I am getting less than I was a few months ago, for the same cost.  Meantime, I am doing my research.

Thank goodness for some great workarounds from the people on this Forum.  Especially the one about recording everything as a series, even if only one recording, since you then get the information you need about the recording.  You just end up with a lot of "zombies", but thanks again to the Forum, I know how to get rid of them.

No thanks to Rogers, who did not provide this information in the FAQ,  and should not have designed it that way in the first place.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No need to end up with zombies if you record singles as series. After you've finished watching the single recording, delete it.  You should then be "inside" the tile and can go to the right side to "delete all scheduled recordings" (you may need to scroll "up"? to the scheduled tab first - there should be zero scheduled recordings there.)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Who knows?  There are unhappy people there too!  Better the devil you know?  But as long as I AM a subscriber, I can demand my money's worth....and I am getting less than I was a few months ago, for the same cost.  Meantime, I am doing my research.

Thank goodness for some great workarounds from the people on this Forum.  Especially the one about recording everything as a series, even if only one recording, since you then get the information you need about the recording.  You just end up with a lot of "zombies", but thanks again to the Forum, I know how to get rid of them.

No thanks to Rogers, who did not provide this information in the FAQ,  and should not have designed it that way in the first place.

You certainly can and you should do that every time a promotion expires, regardless. As for the devil you know that's as good a reason as any but make no mistake, the other option that beigns with Bis no different. Friends use them and they have complaints as well

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

No need to end up with zombies if you record singles as series. After you've finished watching the single recording, delete it.  You should then be "inside" the tile and can go to the right side to "delete all scheduled recordings" (you may need to scroll "up"? to the scheduled tab first - there should be zero scheduled recordings there.)

Thank you, yes, I did mention that I got that info from the Forum (probably you, 57), and put it to use.

But thanks for reiterating it for anyone who did not know, since I did not explain it in my post.

Where would we all be without all the workarounds from people such as yourself!

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@park wrote:

Getting back to specifics, looking to the mods for some answers.

1. CC did not work when we played back the latest recorded Big Bang.

Noticed CC is sponsored by Toyota (Rav4 actually). When is this getting fixed? 

PS: Might be useful to let Toyota know their $ are being wasted.

2. The channel that has the 6 newscasts on the screen at the same time (ch 179 here in Mississauga)

does not change the audio when you move from one to other. It stays on the first one (RT).

3. ON demand does not work on one of my TVs.  It has a catalog error.

The JUNO AWARDS and Wheel of Fortune had no CC when played back last night.

Reboot fixed problem #2 and #3.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Customer01 wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

So, no, they are not going to be resolving half a dozen issues every month or so.

So, everyone on this Forum, there's your answer.

And I, as a consumer, am going to take my money elsewhere.

Customer01,

I tried to indicate my agreement with your comment about the OOPs not listening to consumers but I am afraid it was deleted as Off Topic.  

The OOP corresponded with me re the issues I have, and even forwarded some items, but there simply nothing that can be done about it, since the company is committed to the current design.

What they don't understand then, is that it is is not (in my opinion anyway) so much an issue of the current *design* per se, as it is a function of the fact that this "design" has been implemented in the most amateurish way imaginable. It is the #epicfail in the FUNCTIONALITY, not the design itself.

I am going to agree with you but for a different reason. I will try to explain in another way in case this comment gets deleted too.  Thiefs are now breaking into cars using wireless technology and customers are providing the feedback that there is a big problem.  These companies like GM and Toyota can respond in two ways - ignore it; or do something about it. It is not that the design is being implemented wrong although that may be part of it, it is that the design is flawed and the design needs to change.  Now I have not mentioned Rogers for obvious reasons. 

I agree with you fully, so perhaps the disconnect is in the term "design". When the original poster said that Rogers "is committed to the current design" I interpreted that to mean that they are committed to the Espial browser and its STYLE - i.e., interactive tiles etc. In other words no way are they going back to the older system. We all knew that would be the case.

So when I say that it is functionality rather than design per se, what I meant is that *IF* they want to be committed to this style, this design, this tile interface, then at least MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY. That's what I meant when I said the problem is not design per se, but the way they have made it come to life....or not.

Perhaps I should have said that if they are committed to the CONCEPTUAL STYLE, then so be it - just make the darn thing work better than it does, and don't be satisfied with foisting a piece of total garbage on us unwilling hostages! 

Yes, when I said design, I meant the whole thing, not just appearance.  We are all in agreement though, that the design, the functionality and the implementation have all been poor.  

So we are all agreed! There is a functionality/software design flaw that needs to be addressed.  The question I now have is - How does this user community get Rogers to acknowledge it and fix it, rather than ignoring it? I would like to see the name of the program and the date/time the program was recorded to appear on the digital tile. All customers think this basic requirement was lost with the switch to Navigatr.  Surely this isn't rocket science and can be fixed! (When I referred to Elon Musk in this regard the last time, my post was deleted, so I have to be careful).

@User14 wrote:

So we are all agreed! There is a functionality/software design flaw that needs to be addressed.  The question I now have is - How does this user community get Rogers to acknowledge it and fix it, rather than ignoring it? I would like to see the name of the program and the date/time the program was recorded to appear on the digital tile. All customers think this basic requirement was lost with the switch to Navigatr.  Surely this isn't rocket science and can be fixed! (When I referred to Elon Musk in this regard the last time, my post was deleted, so I have to be careful).

And add the channel to this list.

Question: If there is a functional problem with Navigator that is identified by the User Community, how does Rogers acknowledge the customer concerns with Navigatr and then address or fix the problem?