Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

1,177 REPLIES 1,177

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is no longer possible with Navigatr.  You cannot set the PVR to record just a portion of a programme, nor can you set a manual recording, which was useful for some people in some instances.  I'm guessing that it was not used by the vast majority though.

You can record a portion if you're watching "live".  You can switch to the channel at the appropriate time, hit record, then hit stop at the appropriate time.  I do this sometimes when I tune to a channel just before a song is played on say MuchMoreRetro or one of the Galaxie channels.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

I don't know if they'll be bringing back the "list", however, when looking at the tiles you should be able to tell the recording order because the most recent will be closest to the top.  Most people might start by watching the oldest recording first.

Another option that I suggested earlier in this thread is to set a series recording (say timeslot/day) even if you're doing single recordings. You can then see most of the information regarding the programme in the tile (date, time, channel name). Then delete the scheduled recording when you're done watching.  Link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

You can see lists in AnyPlace Web for Computers, or RAPTV app for tablets, or app for mobiles.

Thank you 57, there are certainly ways to work around, however, in my particular situation with tennis, I would not necessarily want to be watching all the recordings, but rather would want to pick out the ones with the most compelling matches, or watch only part of a recording.  The nature of tennis on TV is that the matches don't happen at an exact time, or for an exact length of time.  Not like watching a series.  

I will use your suggestion of setting a series even if it is only one recording.  That's a great idea!

Unfortunately RAPTV will not work for me on my iPad or iPhone.   It seems ok for a while, then crashes, so unreliable.  This is a common problem.  I try it again every now and then.

These are, of course, workarounds, and I want Rogers to know that having to use workarounds is totally unacceptable, when we continue to pay the same, or more, for a far inferior product.  At the price I am paying, I have every right to expect the product to be free of problems, as with any other product that I buy.  This Navigatr is definitely a product that should be returned.

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@pmcsplaza wrote:

With the new Navigatr format, which I actually like, there's one major failing: 

"One major failing?"  There are quite a few actually.

One of the many major failings I don't like is having to click on the tile to see the name of the program and the date of the recording. Why isn't that information on the tile?  You also have to exit each time and then you end up back at the newest recording rather than the tile you just viewed. I end up wasting a lot of time going back and forth to review the recordings. This problem has been identified ever since this thread started.  

Someone also said there are a list of fixes.  I have never seen any list of fixes. There is list of problems but none have ever been acknowledged by Rogers and no one knows if or when they are going to fix them. 

Since Rogers practices what is called Mushroom Management, don't expect your one major failing to be heard or fixed any time soon.   Sadly, all we can do in this forum is  commiserate on our unfortunate circumstances.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In the July 28th Navigatr thread @roxandtreez made a list of issues. That list contained more than 40 "issues". Some of them were major, some of them not so major.  By the December/January rollout of the revised firmware, some of the issues were resolved.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Things like the following have been "fixed": 

- Not being able to turn on CC while watching a recording (should be a lot easier though).

- Not being able to turn off "more like this" (related content)

- Going to the incorrect programme when you stop a recording to delete it, causing you to delete the incorrect programme.

- Firmware deleting existing recordings when loaded onto 8642s

- Some other minor quibbles.

- The portion of the firmware to save energy that sent PVRs into a coma was removed.

Rogers still has a lot of work to do to get this working properly though and we keep our fingers crossed.  Here's the list after the December/January rollout.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I don't have the latest firmware which was rolled out in the past couple of weeks to some people, but some other issues were supposedly resolved (6.0.1.0110):

- Settings option available on 8642s

- Slightly more responsive 8642s

- Memory leak on 9865s that caused sluggishness appears to be fixed.

- Some other minor random issues supposedly addressed.

If Rogers can properly address a half dozen issues every month or two, that would be great.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

In the July 28th Navigatr thread @roxandtreez made a list of issues. That list contained more than 40 "issues". Some of them were major, some of them not so major.  By the December/January rollout of the revised firmware, some of the issues were resolved.

Things like the following have been "fixed": 

- Not being able to turn on CC while watching a recording (should be a lot easier though).

- Not being able to turn off "more like this" (related content)

- Going to the incorrect programme when you stop a recording to delete it, causing you to delete the incorrect programme.

- Firmware deleting existing recordings when loaded onto 8642s

- Some other minor quibbles.

- The portion of the firmware to save energy that sent PVRs into a coma was removed.

Rogers still has a lot of work to do to get this working properly though and we keep our fingers crossed.  Here's the list after the December/January rollout.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I don't have the latest firmware which was rolled out in the past couple of weeks to some people, but some other issues were supposedly resolved (6.0.1.0110):

- Settings option available on 8642s

- Slightly more responsive 8642s

- Memory leak on 9865s that caused sluggishness appears to be fixed.

- Some other minor random issues supposedly addressed.

If Rogers can properly address a half dozen issues every month or two, that would be great.

I have been very fortunate not to have some of the severe technical issues that many have experienced.

My complaints have revolved around the poor functionality of the new PVR software.  I think pretty much everyone agrees it's terrible.

I have had some correspondence with the Office Of The President (OOP).  I have sent photos of the interface on my TV and explained the issues, and also the fact that the FAQ are inadequate and incorrect.  The latter information was forwarded to the tech department, who forwarded to someone else, and I don't know what happened after that.

Today I reached the end of the road.  I was told that the tiles are here to stay, and what I am seeing, or not seeing, is by design and unlikely to change.

So I will not be seeing date and time details in a tile.  And I will not be seeing time and length of recording details when I click on the tile.  I will not be able to differentiate between recordings that have the same tile poster, and are on the same date, until I watch the show and figure it out from what I see or hear on the show.  Hard to believe, but that is what I have been told.

As far as design of the interface goes, including menus, what we see now is what we are going to get.

WOW!

They just don't get it.

So, no, they are not going to be resolving half a dozen issues every month or so.

So, everyone on this Forum, there's your answer.

And I, as a consumer, am going to take my money elsewhere.

Johnrc123
I Plan to Stick Around

I am gobsmacked. Probably one of many readers of your jaw-dropping post. I've never seen anything so utterly careless towards customers. A real clear flip of the bird to those of us who pay quite a lot of money every month. 

Of course, like you, I and am sure many, many others will take our business elsewhere. I just can't for the life of me figure out why Rogers so clearly doesn't care. Just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I still encourage anyone disappointed in this to do as Rogers states on its bills, and submit a complaint to the CRTC (government commission overseeing telecom companies). It's quite quick and easy. Here's the link: 

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsccm/Default-Defaut.aspx

I'm also now aware of another organization set up to field complaints about telecom. Originally set up for wireless service complaints they apparently also field cable TV complaints now known as Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form

Truly incredible.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@Johnrc123 wrote:

I am gobsmacked. Probably one of many readers of your jaw-dropping post. I've never seen anything so utterly careless towards customers. A real clear flip of the bird to those of us who pay quite a lot of money every month. 

Of course, like you, I and am sure many, many others will take our business elsewhere. I just can't for the life of me figure out why Rogers so clearly doesn't care. Just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I still encourage anyone disappointed in this to do as Rogers states on its bills, and submit a complaint to the CRTC (government commission overseeing telecom companies). It's quite quick and easy. Here's the link: 

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsccm/Default-Defaut.aspx

I'm also now aware of another organization set up to field complaints about telecom. Originally set up for wireless service complaints they apparently also field cable TV complaints now known as Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form

Truly incredible.

Absolutely beyond belief, and agree, makes no sense.  That's why I stuck with it up to this point, thinking that, like any normal business, they would sort it all out.  But, inexplicably, that is apparently not going to happen.

Thanks for the links.  I will register my complaints.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

So, no, they are not going to be resolving half a dozen issues every month or so.

Customer01,

I tried to indicate my agreement with your comment about the OOPs not listening to consumers but I am afraid it was deleted as Off Topic.  

The OOP corresponded with me re the issues I have, and even forwarded some items, but there simply nothing that can be done about it, since the company is committed to the current design.

DrMike

@Customer01 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

Customer01,

I tried to indicate my agreement with your comment about the OOPs not listening to consumers but I am afraid it was deleted as Off Topic.  

The OOP corresponded with me re the issues I have, and even forwarded some items, but there simply nothing that can be done about it, since the company is committed to the current design.

What they don't understand then, is that it is is not (in my opinion anyway) so much an issue of the current *design* per se, as it is a function of the fact that this "design" has been implemented in the most amateurish way imaginable. It is the #epicfail in the FUNCTIONALITY, not the design itself.

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

That is no longer possible with Navigatr.  You cannot set the PVR to record just a portion of a programme, nor can you set a manual recording, which was useful for some people in some instances.  I'm guessing that it was not used by the vast majority though.

You can record a portion if you're watching "live".  You can switch to the channel at the appropriate time, hit record, then hit stop at the appropriate time.  I do this sometimes when I tune to a channel just before a song is played on say MuchMoreRetro or one of the Galaxie channels.

If I am going to do that, it means I have to be at the PVR when the segment starts. If I am going to do that, then I may as well watch it live. I need that option for when I don't want to or can't sit at the PVR waiting for start and finish.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The reason I mentioned it was because sometimes people wish to archive a specific portion of a programme.  If all you wish to do is timeshift, then simply setting the entire recording works, then delete when finished.  Of course you may need to use the 3-minute skip feature repeatedly (or FF5) to get to the starting point desired.

User14

@DrMike wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

Customer01,

What they don't understand then, is that it is is not (in my opinion anyway) so much an issue of the current *design* per se, as it is a function of the fact that this "design" has been implemented in the most amateurish way imaginable. It is the #epicfail in the FUNCTIONALITY, not the design itself.

I am going to agree with you but for a different reason. I will try to explain in another way in case this comment gets deleted too.  Thiefs are now breaking into cars using wireless technology and customers are providing the feedback that there is a big problem.  These companies like GM and Toyota can respond in two ways - ignore it; or do something about it. It is not that the design is being implemented wrong although that may be part of it, it is that the design is flawed and the design needs to change.  Now I have not mentioned Rogers for obvious reasons. 

DrMike

@User14 wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

Customer01,

I am going to agree with you but for a different reason. I will try to explain in another way in case this comment gets deleted too.  Thiefs are now breaking into cars using wireless technology and customers are providing the feedback that there is a big problem.  These companies like GM and Toyota can respond in two ways - ignore it; or do something about it. It is not that the design is being implemented wrong although that may be part of it, it is that the design is flawed and the design needs to change.  Now I have not mentioned Rogers for obvious reasons. 

I agree with you fully, so perhaps the disconnect is in the term "design". When the original poster said that Rogers "is committed to the current design" I interpreted that to mean that they are committed to the Espial browser and its STYLE - i.e., interactive tiles etc. In other words no way are they going back to the older system. We all knew that would be the case.

So when I say that it is functionality rather than design per se, what I meant is that *IF* they want to be committed to this style, this design, this tile interface, then at least MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY. That's what I meant when I said the problem is not design per se, but the way they have made it come to life....or not.

Perhaps I should have said that if they are committed to the CONCEPTUAL STYLE, then so be it - just make the darn thing work better than it does, and don't be satisfied with foisting a piece of total garbage on us unwilling hostages! 

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@DrMike wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

Customer01,

I agree with you fully, so perhaps the disconnect is in the term "design". When the original poster said that Rogers "is committed to the current design" I interpreted that to mean that they are committed to the Espial browser and its STYLE - i.e., interactive tiles etc. In other words no way are they going back to the older system. We all knew that would be the case.

So when I say that it is functionality rather than design per se, what I meant is that *IF* they want to be committed to this style, this design, this tile interface, then at least MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY. That's what I meant when I said the problem is not design per se, but the way they have made it come to life....or not.

Perhaps I should have said that if they are committed to the CONCEPTUAL STYLE, then so be it - just make the darn thing work better than it does, and don't be satisfied with foisting a piece of total garbage on us unwilling hostages! 

Yes, when I said design, I meant the whole thing, not just appearance.  We are all in agreement though, that the design, the functionality and the implementation have all been poor.  

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm not a huge fan of some aspects of the design either but why are you an unwilling hostage? If it is that upsetting why are you still a subscriber?

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@rgottinger wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of some aspects of the design either but why are you an unwilling hostage? If it is that upsetting why are you still a subscriber?

Not much choice out there, is there?

rgottinger

So Bell isn't better?

Getting back to specifics, looking to the mods for some answers.

1. CC did not work when we played back the latest recorded Big Bang.

Noticed CC is sponsored by Toyota (Rav4 actually). When is this getting fixed? 

PS: Might be useful to let Toyota know their $ are being wasted.

2. The channel that has the 6 newscasts on the screen at the same time (ch 179 here in Mississauga)

does not change the audio when you move from one to other. It stays on the first one (RT).

3. ON demand does not work on one of my TVs.  It has a catalog error.

DrMike

@rgottinger wrote:

So Bell isn't better?

Not so simple to ask why I am still a subscriber. First of all, for me, no Bell isn't better. While the FIBE TV itself may well be better that the current Navigatr fiasco, as far as I can tell it requires me to take a Bell internet package (since after all it *is* internet TV) and in that category Rogers' higher speed and capacity plans are FAR superior (or at least were the last time I checked a couple of weeks ago). Plus as a 30-year customer, I am privy to some substantial retention/loyalty savings that no doubt could not be duplicated elsewhere.  I feel genuinely stuck between a rock and a hard place. Rogers has the superior bundle (for me) at a better price, but the trade-off is I have to hold my nose at the stench of Navigatr. 

rgottinger

@DrMike wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

So Bell isn't better?

Not so simple to ask why I am still a subscriber. First of all, for me, no Bell isn't better. While the FIBE TV itself may well be better that the current Navigatr fiasco, as far as I can tell it requires me to take a Bell internet package (since after all it *is* internet TV) and in that category Rogers' higher speed and capacity plans are FAR superior (or at least were the last time I checked a couple of weeks ago). Plus as a 30-year customer, I am privy to some substantial retention/loyalty savings that no doubt could not be duplicated elsewhere.  I feel genuinely stuck between a rock and a hard place. Rogers has the superior bundle (for me) at a better price, but the trade-off is I have to hold my nose at the stench of Navigatr. 

Same here and Bell is not cheaper by any stretch of the imagination as i have looked into it several times. The difference for me is its just television and my life doesn't hinge on it. I don't see Navigatr as awesome but i clearly don't have as big an issue with it either. If the stench is truly that bad then is the superior bundle really worth it?

DrMike

@rgottinger wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

So Bell isn't better?

Same here and Bell is not cheaper by any stretch of the imagination as i have looked into it several times. The difference for me is its just television and my life doesn't hinge on it. I don't see Navigatr as awesome but i clearly don't have as big an issue with it either. If the stench is truly that bad then is the superior bundle really worth it?

Well, to be fair, I am no doubt engaging in a little bit of hyperbole to make the point. Yes, it is only TV and no, my life doesn't hinge on it either. In point of fact, to me, the Internet speed and capacity is actually even more important which is one reason why I will not switch to Bell. I mean  it's not as if the TV doesn't work at all.....

But the fact is that they have taken a very workable system, pedestrian and not full of bells and whistles for sure, but one that WORKED quite well for all of us, and in the name of "progress" have made it far worse than the system it replaces. And this galls us all here, especially when we are not getting a lower price for lower performance. And especially since Rogers seems to want to stonewall us and just pretend the issues are all in our minds or they condescend to us with  "there there you will just get used to it".

So yes, that gives off a huge stench. But it's not like a life-threatening emergency so yes, let's keep it in perspective.

My surmise on what's happened is that Rogers was totally asleep at the switch and got duped by Espial into committing to a product that well over-promised and hugely under-delivers. And now they are stuck with a hugely embarrassing business blunder and lots of  egg on their face, but have no clue what to do about it (in the short term at least). So they dabble a bit here and there at the edges and they stonewall until most of us either quit complaining or just "get used to it".  

Well, I am unfortunately "getting used to it" but I will NOT stop complaining until they release the product they should have released from the beginning. Not as long as I am paying good money for it at least.....