UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

We have been away.  Do not have updataed Navigatr software (actually can't remember seeing this was coming?).  Tried to watch recoded TV on PVR and it is jerkey, starts and stops and pixilates.  Is this because I don;t have updated Navigaatr?  Or is there another "fix"?

@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

Didn't now about this updated software?  We have been away of r a few months and trying to watch recorded TV and it starts and stops an dpixilates. Is this because we don't have update?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

With the new Navigatr format, which I actually like, there's one major failing:  One can no longer manually set such-and-such channel to record from start time to finish time - it only does it by programme name.  So to achieve the missing setting, one has to set up all programmes within the time frame to record...much more work and often not exactly what I wanted anyway.

Is there ever going to be a Menu section for Manual Recordings?

Peter
Toronto
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@pmcsplaza wrote:

With the new Navigatr format, which I actually like, there's one major failing:  One can no longer manually set such-and-such channel to record from start time to finish time - it only does it by programme name.  So to achieve the missing setting, one has to set up all programmes within the time frame to record...much more work and often not exactly what I wanted anyway.

Is there ever going to be a Menu section for Manual Recordings?

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I can't think of why i would want to record a channel without a show or shows in mind to record and i doubt that those deciding what to implement any changes would consider that as a needed enhancement.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@rgottinger wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. 

Agreed. Particularly when items as critically important as Closed Captioning and readability --- directly related to disabilities --- have clearly gone on a backburner for many months now.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I see that nothing much has changed in the weeks I have been away.  

I have recorded some tennis in the past week, and each recording has it's own tile.  I cannot tell from the tile what date it was recorded.  And when I open the tile, I see the date but not the time.  And there are 2 recordings of tennis each day, so I don't know which one I am looking at. I have to start watching to find out the length of the recording, and basically look for clues as to which time slot I am looking at, eg. does it look like daytime or night time.  Seriously!

When it comes to Grand Slams, they are recording on 4 channels, 3 times a day!  The previous software list view made this easy to manage.  This was the whole point of having a PVR for me.  This new software has taken away that functionality that is most important for me.

If I do not hear from someone at Rogers that this will be fixed in the next week, then I will be forced to take my money elsewhere.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't know if they'll be bringing back the "list", however, when looking at the tiles you should be able to tell the recording order because the most recent will be closest to the top.  Most people might start by watching the oldest recording first.

Until this lack of information for single recordings is "fixed", an option that I suggested earlier in this thread is to set a series recording (say timeslot/day) even if you're doing single recordings. You can then see most of the information regarding the programme in the tile (date, time, channel name). Then delete the scheduled recording when you're done watching.  Link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

You can see lists in AnyPlace Web for Computers, or RAPTV app for tablets, or app for mobiles.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Some channels broadcast continuous programming for hours on end, I may wish to record only a portion of it.  I guess that's not allowed.

Thanks

Peter
Toronto
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@pmcsplaza wrote:

Some channels broadcast continuous programming for hours on end, I may wish to record only a portion of it.  I guess that's not allowed.

Thanks

Not sure which channels these are but they certainly aren't the mainstream ones which is probably why that request won't be near the top of a list of fixes

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is no longer possible with Navigatr.  You cannot set the PVR to record just a portion of a programme, nor can you set a manual recording, which was useful for some people in some instances.  I'm guessing that it was not used by the vast majority though.

You can record a portion if you're watching "live".  You can switch to the channel at the appropriate time, hit record, then hit stop at the appropriate time.  I do this sometimes when I tune to a channel just before a song is played on say MuchMoreRetro or one of the Galaxie channels.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

I don't know if they'll be bringing back the "list", however, when looking at the tiles you should be able to tell the recording order because the most recent will be closest to the top.  Most people might start by watching the oldest recording first.

Another option that I suggested earlier in this thread is to set a series recording (say timeslot/day) even if you're doing single recordings. You can then see most of the information regarding the programme in the tile (date, time, channel name). Then delete the scheduled recording when you're done watching.  Link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

You can see lists in AnyPlace Web for Computers, or RAPTV app for tablets, or app for mobiles.

Thank you 57, there are certainly ways to work around, however, in my particular situation with tennis, I would not necessarily want to be watching all the recordings, but rather would want to pick out the ones with the most compelling matches, or watch only part of a recording.  The nature of tennis on TV is that the matches don't happen at an exact time, or for an exact length of time.  Not like watching a series.  

I will use your suggestion of setting a series even if it is only one recording.  That's a great idea!

Unfortunately RAPTV will not work for me on my iPad or iPhone.   It seems ok for a while, then crashes, so unreliable.  This is a common problem.  I try it again every now and then.

These are, of course, workarounds, and I want Rogers to know that having to use workarounds is totally unacceptable, when we continue to pay the same, or more, for a far inferior product.  At the price I am paying, I have every right to expect the product to be free of problems, as with any other product that I buy.  This Navigatr is definitely a product that should be returned.