Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

1,177 REPLIES 1,177

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

Because feature interaction won't affect everyone.Unless they do the exact same sequence of events.

How can it affect me and others but not you ?Easy read above. Or like I mentioned before different software versions/ hardware versions. A reboot cannot repair hardware.

Look here and you'll see I'm not alone ,others have the eaxct same problem

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/243074-new-rogers-navigatr-firm...

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@yyz64 wrote:

Because feature interaction won't affect everyone.Unless they do the exact same sequence of events.

How can it affect me and others but not you ?Easy read above. Or like I mentioned before different software versions/ hardware versions. A reboot cannot repair hardware.

Look here and you'll see I'm not alone ,others have the eaxct same problem

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/243074-new-rogers-navigatr-firm...

Interesting that signal strength is mentioned there. I had that dealt with a year or so ago and it included all the coax cable being replaced.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

Interesting that signal strength is mentioned there. I had that dealt with a year or so ago and it included all the coax cable being replaced.

And what was the signal strength like after that? Apparently the Nextbox requires a much better signal than the older boxes. What do you get presently?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

You don't actually think that signal strength could affect the fact that I cannot enter channel changes because the remote response is so slow.Or use the guide or watch a recorded show.

And again a reboot is not going to affect your signal strength.You'll also notice in the thread some people are speculating that there might be a memory leakage issue.But that would just point back to where? Oh yeah software.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @yyz64,

@yyz64 wrote:

You don't actually think that signal strength could affect the fact that I cannot enter channel changes because the remote response is so slow.Or use the guide or watch a recorded show.

And again a reboot is not going to affect your signal strength.You'll also notice in the thread some people are speculating that there might be a memory leakage issue.But that would just point back to where? Oh yeah software.

Just my 2 cents - low signal strength will definitely cause slow response and drag the performance of the box down. I am not sure if this is because the tuner has to work harder to receive and process the signal, but it does cause slowdowns. I have seen this on my NextBox 2 and 3. 

You are correct - rebooting will not fix a signal strength issue - only a technician can do this. 

Barb53
I've Been Around

In this new guide when a reminder is set it waits for you to chose whether or not you want to go to the channel.  In the old system it automatically tuned the channel in.  Is there a way in the settings to set it up to automatically tune in?  If not, will this issue be addressed and possibly changed as this was, to me, one of the best features of the box.

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@yyz64 wrote:

FWIW, I have also experienced the same issues. Everything works fine (well to the extent you can call the Navigatr "fine" ...) for about 2 weeks then gradually everything starts to slow down, just as described. A reboot fixes it immediately. Sure seems like either a memory leak or similar to me.....

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

I did have signal level issues a couple of monthsd ago pre Navigator where only my 3 Next Boxes would lose a bunch of channels.I had a tech out who determined it was a bad tap feeding my neighbuorhood.That was when Rogers kept saying it was my issue in the house but I talked to a few neighbours who were experiencing the exact problem.One complained and at least 2 I know of didn't ever call in about it.Haven't had that issue back since the Rogers subcontractor escalated the problem and Rogers would actually sent out a tech to fix it the next day.Sad really that young kid should be working for Rogers he ws good and took the time to actually own the problem,

So at this point I'm pretty sure I don't have  signal issue again.

DrMike

@Barb53 wrote:

In this new guide when a reminder is set it waits for you to chose whether or not you want to go to the channel.  In the old system it automatically tuned the channel in.  Is there a way in the settings to set it up to automatically tune in?  If not, will this issue be addressed and possibly changed as this was, to me, one of the best features of the box.

Many of us have commented on this new "feature" which, for me, renders the whole reminder thing utterly useless. So far no one has found a workaround other than 1) being in the room to manually switch (in which case why have a reminder feature) or 2) record instead of remind (in which case why have a reminder feature).

Whether or not this will be fixed is anyone's guess, but considering the sorry state of affairs of Rogers' communications to us, or the level of respect they show us by not giving us a product that actually works, I would not hold my breath....

DrMike

@yyz64 wrote:

I did have signal level issues a couple of monthsd ago pre Navigator where only my 3 Next Boxes would lose a bunch of channels.I had a tech out who determined it was a bad tap feeding my neighbuorhood.That was when Rogers kept saying it was my issue in the house but I talked to a few neighbours who were experiencing the exact problem.One complained and at least 2 I know of didn't ever call in about it.Haven't had that issue back since the Rogers subcontractor escalated the problem and Rogers would actually sent out a tech to fix it the next day.Sad really that young kid should be working for Rogers he ws good and took the time to actually own the problem,

So at this point I'm pretty sure I don't have  signal issue again.

As I said, I have the same slowdown issues, and when it happens, I check the signal strength and it is always within acceptable (i.e. normal) parameters. In any case, it would be hard to imagine what could cause the signal strength to wane over a two week period and then miraculously be OK again as soon as the box is rebooted....

rgottinger

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

And what was the signal strength like after that? Apparently the Nextbox requires a much better signal than the older boxes. What do you get presently?

It made a huge difference in clarity of picture and responsiveness and this was long before Navigatr. The cables were 20 years old

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with you.I am pretty sure it's a software issue but it's hard to convince some people

rgottinger

@robindp wrote:

Hello @yyz64,

@yyz64 wrote:

Just my 2 cents - low signal strength will definitely cause slow response and drag the performance of the box down. I am not sure if this is because the tuner has to work harder to receive and process the signal, but it does cause slowdowns. I have seen this on my NextBox 2 and 3. 

You are correct - rebooting will not fix a signal strength issue - only a technician can do this. 

I agree with you but yyz64 has his mind made up that its software

rgottinger

@robindp wrote:

Hello @yyz64,

@yyz64 wrote:

And that was my point but someone has made his mind up and that is that

DrMike

@rgottinger wrote:

@robindp wrote:

Hello @yyz64,

@yyz64 wrote:

And that was my point but someone has made his mind up and that is that

Ok, you've lost me. First you opine that the slowdowns may be a signal strength issue. Yet you correctly assert that rebooting will not fix a signal strength issue.

But clearly I and others have found that a reboot IMMEDIATELY fixes the slowdown, so that seems to preclude a signal stregth issue per se.  So which way are you arguing? 

Attila_
I Plan to Stick Around

Those of you who think this is a hardware or signal issue lose sight of the fact that a reboot does indeed fix the problem - for a short time. Clearly, this means it is a software issue.

I suggested - about a 100 pages back - that the software problems can be compounded by bad updates issued by Rogers. Depending on the state of a machine, an update that does not set/reset all parameters correctly for the new version will leave the updated machine in an unknown state. This can cause machine specific gremlins to appear and while exchanging the machine may get rid of these gremlins, a better way is to do a factory reset and save yourself a trip to the store.

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around
And common sense and logic would say software. You hit the nail on the head in the 2 posts above .A reboot is not going to fix a signal issue or a hardware problem,Doesn't leave much does it. I did have a signal issue before.And it did not cause my boxes to slow down at all.All 3 of my next boxes (4642,8642 9865) all lost channels.Couldn't get alot of channels but the boxes speed was not affected.

Ok, you've lost me. First you opine that the slowdowns may be a signal strength issue. Yet you correctly assert that rebooting will not fix a signal strength issue.

But clearly I and others have found that a reboot IMMEDIATELY fixes the slowdown, so that seems to preclude a signal stregth issue per se.  So which way are you arguing? 

Hello,

I didn't opine anything - I stated it outright. I have had digital cable for more than 15 years, and currently have 5 digital boxes (one still running SARA) and 2 DTA-50s. I can tell you for a fact that low signal strength causes digital boxes to slow down - I have seen it,  and I have seen those same boxes improve after a technician replaced old cables and splitters. 

Rogers knows this, which is why they ALWAYS send a technician out to check things as the first step after recommending a reboot. This has been their procedure since digital cable was a thing. 

Yes, I did state that a reboot will not fix a signal strength issue. This is common sense and does not conflict what I said before. If you fix the signal strength issue then the box speeds up to whatever is normal for the box and software combo you are running. 

Finally, I did NOT say that signal strength is the only thing that causes a box to slow down. I have gone from SARA to RTN to Navigatr 1.0 to Navigatr 2.0. Obviously, software on the box can use different levels of resources which can change how fast or slow the box operates. Navigatr is bloated and runs slower than RTN did - this is not in dispute. I am simply offering what I have seen to 'point out' to the previous poster that signal strength (specifically: a weak signal) can slow a box down. 

RE: A reboot helping to temporarily speed up slow NextBox 3s - I don't doubt you have seen this, but this issue is not affecting everyone. I have an NB3, and it has been operating at a decent speed without slowdowns since the RTN days (last issue was January 2015). There are issues with it (Navigatr issues) but slow speed is not one of them. 

Both weak signal and poor software can slow a box down. It is not a "one or the other" thing. I hope this clears things up, and eliminates any confusion. 

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around
So would a weak signal strength be "fixed" by doing a reboot?No And that is what does temporarily fix the issue.It seems to fix it for a while.For me 3 weeks until it reappeared.
Would a weak signal strength affect the playback of a previously recorded show? Ie the FF/REW functions aren't being responded to without a lag by the PVR? I wouldn't think so.Take a look at the other forum I referenced and you'll see there are people affected by this problem.It's not everyone but that doesn't make it any less real.And in every case I see guess what corrects it.A reboot. Resetting the software and clearing the memory out.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @yyz64,

You missed the point of my last two posts. I am saying that a weak signal can slow things down. This is a known problem - and why Rogers "checks signals" when you call in and complain of a slow cable box. 

BUT 

I am still not disputing that the software slows things down. Navigatr is clearly slower than RTN or SARA on the same box. 

To answer your question:

Yes, a weak signal can effect the playback of a previously recorded show if another show is being recorded at the same time. I have seen this on my bedroom NextBox.  Again, the box has to work harder if you have a junk signal coming to it. 

If another show is not recording - keep an open mind - there may be more than one thing causing your issues.  It could be a bad HDD, corrupt recording, loose coax cable to the back of your box, etc. -- these things are never simple or easy to troubleshoot!

What did Rogers say when you called in to report your issues?

DrMike

@robindp wrote:

Hello,

I didn't opine anything - I stated it outright. I have had digital cable for more than 15 years, and currently have 5 digital boxes (one still running SARA) and 2 DTA-50s. I can tell you for a fact that low signal strength causes digital boxes to slow down - I have seen it,  and I have seen those same boxes improve after a technician replaced old cables and splitters. 

Rogers knows this, which is why they ALWAYS send a technician out to check things as the first step after recommending a reboot. This has been their procedure since digital cable was a thing. 

Yes, I did state that a reboot will not fix a signal strength issue. This is common sense and does not conflict what I said before. If you fix the signal strength issue then the box speeds up to whatever is normal for the box and software combo you are running. 

Finally, I did NOT say that signal strength is the only thing that causes a box to slow down. I have gone from SARA to RTN to Navigatr 1.0 to Navigatr 2.0. Obviously, software on the box can use different levels of resources which can change how fast or slow the box operates. Navigatr is bloated and runs slower than RTN did - this is not in dispute. I am simply offering what I have seen to 'point out' to the previous poster that signal strength (specifically: a weak signal) can slow a box down. 

RE: A reboot helping to temporarily speed up slow NextBox 3s - I don't doubt you have seen this, but this issue is not affecting everyone. I have an NB3, and it has been operating at a decent speed without slowdowns since the RTN days (last issue was January 2015). There are issues with it (Navigatr issues) but slow speed is not one of them. 

Both weak signal and poor software can slow a box down. It is not a "one or the other" thing. I hope this clears things up, and eliminates any confusion. 

I agree that a weak signal can do lots of bad things, including slowing a box down. No confusion there. Your assertion that it is not "one thing or another" - also agree completely.

But we have been talking here on this thread about slowdowns that are immediately cleared by a reboot. That should have nothing to do with signal strength is all we are saying. The issue of signal strength is in fact largely irrelevant to the issue being reported here.

But @rgottinger said "someone has made his mind up and that is that" which was condescending and erroneously dismissed our valid conclusion.

Bottom line, can we stop talking about signal strength now since it is a red herring for those of us experiencing the chronic slowdown.