UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yungdai
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@park on your suggestion on #3, I don't think asking your users to add more storage for better performance is a good idea.  The box should behave that way out of the box.  Yes I have thought about adding another hard drive for sure as I've done in the past.  However, issues will still arise as the storage reaches it's limit.  So this is why I think a manadatory limit should be placed on recording to allow for the OS to work properly and not grind to a halt and become unusable.  It's the difference between 10 hours of recording and a box that you can't navigate around.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@yungdai wrote:

@park on your suggestion on #3, I don't think asking your users to add more storage for better performance is a good idea.  The box should behave that way out of the box.  Yes I have thought about adding another hard drive for sure as I've done in the past.  However, issues will still arise as the storage reaches it's limit.  So this is why I think a manadatory limit should be placed on recording to allow for the OS to work properly and not grind to a halt and become unusable.  It's the difference between 10 hours of recording and a box that you can't navigate around.

Some time back, before Navigatr, problems were being blamed on the hard drive being too full. I don't know if that was actually proven. However, it's reasonable to presume that a drive with little space left will slow a system down just like it does on a computer.  So perhaps a warning to delete surplus recordings when the drive is, say, 90% full would be a good idea. But it's all about housekeeping and not hoarding. I delete everything right after watching it unless I really want to keep it for posterity. My little 160 Gig hard drive seldom reaches 50% full. Don't record more stuff than you'll have time to watch. Days only get longer by 1.7 milliseconds each century.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
park
I'm an Advisor

@Beelzebot wrote:

Our 2 year bundle is coming to an end this month, so I was talking to Rogers tonight about a new deal (no waiting on hold on Saturday night!) and the rep said there is supposed to be a Navigatr update coming in "the next couple of weeks". How much truth there is in this statement, I don't know, but you can always live in hope!

The only way I will keep the cable tv service is if I upgrade to a Nextbox 3 from our current Nextbox 2. Can anyone tell me the difference for Navigatr in performance/storage/speed I might expect to see if I upgrade? Thanks.

Hi @Beelzebot

Looks like you may be renting the NB2. If so, and you really really reeeeaaallllyy want to stay w Rogers,

you can get the (officially discountinued offer) rent-to-own option from Rogers for the NB3.

Cheaper than rent, you own it after 3 yr, and you can swap if for another if there are are probs during that time.

BTW: Whether Rogers fixes Navi or not should be part of your decision. It may get better, but if past preformance is any indication, Rogers will find something else to fix that is not broken 😉

park
I'm an Advisor

@yungdai wrote:

Hi @yungdai and @OLDYELLR Or set your less precious recordings up to delete as space is needed.

BTW: I suspect the NB3 records in such a way that requires very recording little head movement as its recording upto 8 at once.  The hardware must somehow interleve all the recordings into one fat stream. else I suspect the HD could just not  keep up. 

Q: Anyone know how it works?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@park wrote:

Hi @yungdai and @OLDYELLR Or set your less precious recordings up to delete as space is needed.

BTW: I suspect the NB3 records in such a way that requires very recording little head movement as its recording upto 8 at once.  The hardware must somehow interleve all the recordings into one fat stream. else I suspect the HD could just not  keep up. 

Don't know about the Nextbox, but on my 8300 the default save time is 14 days, which can be changed to 1, 2 or 7 days, or manual erase by user, which is where I have it. Since I closely monitor my free space, I don't need to change that.  I'm the only one using this PVR, but I can appreciate where several family members record, play  and manage their own favourite shows on one PVR, things can get quite chaotic.

I don't know precisely how the NB3 records multiple simultaneous shows, but I expect it multitasks, buffers and writes blocks the same as your computer. However, from what I've been reading, even the NB3's big brain has trouble with multiple recordings starting and stopping at the same time and will start shows late, so it's suggested to schedule recordings to start 5 minutes early and end 5 minutes late to be safe.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Beelzebot
I've Been Here Awhile

@park wrote:

Hi @Beelzebot

Looks like you may be renting the NB2. If so, and you really really reeeeaaallllyy want to stay w Rogers,

you can get the (officially discountinued offer) rent-to-own option from Rogers for the NB3.

Cheaper than rent, you own it after 3 yr, and you can swap if for another if there are are probs during that time.

BTW: Whether Rogers fixes Navi or not should be part of your decision. It may get better, but if past preformance is any indication, Rogers will fix something else to fix that is not broken 😉

I own the NB2 and another NB (no pvr) box. And I reeeeeeaaaallllyy don't want to stay with Rogers. I am calling tomorrow to cancel our 3 services with them and when they ask why, I will say Navigatr drove me to it because it's the truth. I have been a loyal customer for 35 years (OMG!) but it is time to move on. I will pick up internet only from somewhere and get on with my life. My Nextboxes will be on Kijiji soon Smiley Happy

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

And back I go to the realllllly  slowwwwwww   laggy NB3 .Worked ok for a couple of weeks.Rogers hold times were between 52 minute and 1 hour 19 minutes whe I called in.Really Rogers stop using us as beta testers.Or compensate us for doing the software testing because Espial sure isn't.

mfait
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@park wrote:

@yungdai wrote:

From the diagnotics screen on NB3 I found the model number of the HD used.  It's Seagate ST1000VM002, and it's specifically designed for DVR use, and supports up to 16 simultaneous streams of HD content.

See:

http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/products/media-video-storage/surveillance-drives/video-3-5-hdd/?sku=ST1...

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@yyz64 wrote:

And back I go to the realllllly  slowwwwwww   laggy NB3 .Worked ok for a couple of weeks.Rogers hold times were between 52 minute and 1 hour 19 minutes whe I called in.Really Rogers stop using us as beta testers.Or compensate us for doing the software testing because Espial sure isn't.

And your 'reality' is completely different from mine with an NB3. Usability is an issue but speed isn't  It sounds like a defective box so bite thebullet and exchange it unless you own it. If you do it sounds like a great argument for rent to own.

park
I'm an Advisor

@yyz64 wrote:

What happens after you reboot ?

(Easy method esp if machine is slow to respond to key hits: Pull plug, wait several seconds, plug back in)