UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gjdj
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

From the get go, ite NB2 was slow and the hardware was not very reliable.

And you made a key polnt when you mentioned 'cost reduced replacement'. It may have been cheaper but paying less for something often results in a lesser product. Just like outsourcing development of Navigatr may have been cheaper than having inhouse developers, you often get what you pay for (or don't pay for)

I don't think it was cheaper.  It was billed as an upgrade - the premium box until the Nextbox 3.0 came out (in late 2013?).  Maybe they skimped behind the scenes, I don't know.

And while I guess some people had different experiences, I never had any problems until Navigatr was pushed out.

Personally I feel that Rogers should be supporting boxes they've sold for roughly 10 years.  Certainly if they sell you a box and stop supporting it one month later, that would feel like a scam.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@gjdj wrote:

I don't think it was cheaper.  It was billed as an upgrade - the premium box until the Nextbox 3.0 came out (in late 2013?).  Maybe they skimped behind the scenes, I don't know.

And while I guess some people had different experiences, I never had any problems until Navigatr was pushed out.

Personally I feel that Rogers should be supporting boxes they've sold for roughly 10 years.  Certainly if they sell you a box and stop supporting it one month later, that would feel like a scam.

The NB2 was an upgrade from the SA8300HD in that it was smaller and black instead of the back-out-of-fashion silver.  It also had a faster processor with a prettier HD RTN interface. Of course, at the time, something like Navigatr wasn't anticipated to bog down the poor thing. Through the years software gets more complex and bloated and processors need to become faster to handle it. For example, my laptop is from the Windows Vista era and now has Windows 7, but when Microsoft started pushing free Windows 10, it deemed my laptop incompatible and wouldn't have installed even if I'd wanted to. That's what Navigatr should have done with the NB2, just like it didn't install on the 8300. And, yes, my 8300 is more than 10-year-old technology and runs flawlessly on SARA.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

gjdj wrote:

Is there a company anywhere that warranties electronics or anything else for 10 years? You might get a 4 year extended service contract that you have gto buy filled with exceptions but after that, you are out of luck when it stops performing the way it should. PVRs are just another limited life product.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

It may have been billed as an upgrade, but some hardware options were removed.  I liked the RCA jacks on the front of the box, made it easy to connect a game console or video camera without having to move the cabinet and get to the back...

svmajor
I've Been Around

This new Navigator is just plain terrible!!  Give me back the old one and stop this nonsense!!

1. There was nothing wrong with a concise list of recorded programs and a new tab for scheduled ones.  The new navigator gives a useless list of picture icons with half of them blank!! (I guess the though is that we are all a bunch or morons and need pictures to see what we have saved!!)

2. Now you have to select a filter and save it to change from most recent to the alphabetical order!!  This is not reducing my key strokes at all!!!**

3. The new list is positively useless since you can't see the date, channel or time it was recorded!!  Give me that information up front before any useless picture icon!!

4. I used to be able to delete a selected set of recordings from a series with a handy check marked box and retain several others...but now you have to delete either ALL of them or waste time deleting each each individually - how is that saving me time??

5. Individual programs within a series are not always sorted together for some unknown reason and if you navigate down through a long list and then delete something the crazy software takes you back to the beginning of the list....keep me where I last was and give me a home button or something!!

6. I could go on but it's too frustrating...as I said give me back the old navigator please!!

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

svmajor wrote:

This new Navigator is just plain terrible!!  Give me back the old one and stop this nonsense!!

You and a lot of us here would love to go back to the old interface.

However, in that Toronto Star article by Ellen Roseman, from January, a Rogers spokesman is quoted as saying,

"A survey showed most people like the update."

I find that very, very hard to believe.   I won't bother saying more since this post will likely be deleted anyway.  Off-topic.

park
I'm an Advisor

@macbaum wrote:

a. I would like to see the return of the ability to select and delete multiple episodes/folders

b. Except for those programs that have one episode recorded, remove all the panels that do not have any scheduled recordings

Re a.

Those of use in JULY 28 Navi disaster gave Rogers lots of feedback on fixing navigating around recordings in their Pile-of-tiles format.  Rogers sort-of- listened somewhat, that those closest to NOW should\s be closest (fewest key-hits away).  They missed that when one is deleting up ones recordings, NOW is the last one deleted, not the last one recorded.  That would make multiple deletes far easier and much more intuitive.

Re b.

Seeing those unscheduled scheduled programs is very helpful. They are nicely away at the end of the pile-of-tiles (i.e. farthest from now).  Some programing is seasonal, or is on less than often than weekly.  So knowing your machine is set to record them is useful. 

Previously (in RTN and July28 Navi) they were also there but completely hidden, mysteriously appearing when the next program was <6 days away.   Depending on ones recording/viewing habits they built-up over time and could only be removed with a factory-reset which also wipes out all your recordings.

park
I'm an Advisor

RE NB2 vs SA8300
@robindp wrote:

It may have been billed as an upgrade, but some hardware options were removed.  I liked the RCA jacks on the front of the box, made it easy to connect a game console or video camera without having to move the cabinet and get to the back...

To clarify, earlier I mentioned that IMHO the NB2 was basicly a poorly-designed  cost-reduced SA8300 meaning it cost a lot less to build, from the thin sheet metal to the barely adequate power supply, to same timy 160G HD when it came out etc.  

That does not mean the price we were charged was less though !  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cush wrote:

However, in that Toronto Star article by Ellen Roseman, from January, a Rogers spokesman is quoted as saying,

I find that very, very hard to believe. 

You can believe it because Rogers is stretching the truth. Most people have STBs, not PVRs, therefore most people are perfectly happy with the new "pretty" Navigatr interface on their STBs.

I don't believe anyone who has a PVR is happy, but we are in the minority, unfortunately.

That's why things like CC work fine live, why you can turn on CC from a live programme, but not from a recording, why the info button works properly live, etc.  Navigatr appears to have been designed for STBs and then PVR "functionality" added, almost as an afterthought and very poorly, without proper testing.

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

@Cush wrote:

@svmajor wrote:

You and a lot of us here would love to go back to the old interface.

I find that very, very hard to believe.   I won't bother saying more since this post will likely be deleted anyway.  Off-topic.

Probably, they didn't have a PVR. Most of the problems are with the recordings management.