UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

It may have been billed as an upgrade, but some hardware options were removed.  I liked the RCA jacks on the front of the box, made it easy to connect a game console or video camera without having to move the cabinet and get to the back...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This new Navigator is just plain terrible!!  Give me back the old one and stop this nonsense!!

1. There was nothing wrong with a concise list of recorded programs and a new tab for scheduled ones.  The new navigator gives a useless list of picture icons with half of them blank!! (I guess the though is that we are all a bunch or morons and need pictures to see what we have saved!!)

2. Now you have to select a filter and save it to change from most recent to the alphabetical order!!  This is not reducing my key strokes at all!!!**

3. The new list is positively useless since you can't see the date, channel or time it was recorded!!  Give me that information up front before any useless picture icon!!

4. I used to be able to delete a selected set of recordings from a series with a handy check marked box and retain several others...but now you have to delete either ALL of them or waste time deleting each each individually - how is that saving me time??

5. Individual programs within a series are not always sorted together for some unknown reason and if you navigate down through a long list and then delete something the crazy software takes you back to the beginning of the list....keep me where I last was and give me a home button or something!!

6. I could go on but it's too frustrating...as I said give me back the old navigator please!!

I Plan to Stick Around

svmajor wrote:

This new Navigator is just plain terrible!!  Give me back the old one and stop this nonsense!!

You and a lot of us here would love to go back to the old interface.

However, in that Toronto Star article by Ellen Roseman, from January, a Rogers spokesman is quoted as saying,

"A survey showed most people like the update."

I find that very, very hard to believe.   I won't bother saying more since this post will likely be deleted anyway.  Off-topic.

I'm an Advisor

@macbaum wrote:

a. I would like to see the return of the ability to select and delete multiple episodes/folders

b. Except for those programs that have one episode recorded, remove all the panels that do not have any scheduled recordings

Re a.

Those of use in JULY 28 Navi disaster gave Rogers lots of feedback on fixing navigating around recordings in their Pile-of-tiles format.  Rogers sort-of- listened somewhat, that those closest to NOW should\s be closest (fewest key-hits away).  They missed that when one is deleting up ones recordings, NOW is the last one deleted, not the last one recorded.  That would make multiple deletes far easier and much more intuitive.

Re b.

Seeing those unscheduled scheduled programs is very helpful. They are nicely away at the end of the pile-of-tiles (i.e. farthest from now).  Some programing is seasonal, or is on less than often than weekly.  So knowing your machine is set to record them is useful. 

Previously (in RTN and July28 Navi) they were also there but completely hidden, mysteriously appearing when the next program was <6 days away.   Depending on ones recording/viewing habits they built-up over time and could only be removed with a factory-reset which also wipes out all your recordings.

I'm an Advisor

RE NB2 vs SA8300
@robindp wrote:

It may have been billed as an upgrade, but some hardware options were removed.  I liked the RCA jacks on the front of the box, made it easy to connect a game console or video camera without having to move the cabinet and get to the back...

To clarify, earlier I mentioned that IMHO the NB2 was basicly a poorly-designed  cost-reduced SA8300 meaning it cost a lot less to build, from the thin sheet metal to the barely adequate power supply, to same timy 160G HD when it came out etc.  

That does not mean the price we were charged was less though !  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cush wrote:

However, in that Toronto Star article by Ellen Roseman, from January, a Rogers spokesman is quoted as saying,

I find that very, very hard to believe. 

You can believe it because Rogers is stretching the truth. Most people have STBs, not PVRs, therefore most people are perfectly happy with the new "pretty" Navigatr interface on their STBs.

I don't believe anyone who has a PVR is happy, but we are in the minority, unfortunately.

That's why things like CC work fine live, why you can turn on CC from a live programme, but not from a recording, why the info button works properly live, etc.  Navigatr appears to have been designed for STBs and then PVR "functionality" added, almost as an afterthought and very poorly, without proper testing.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Cush wrote:

@svmajor wrote:

You and a lot of us here would love to go back to the old interface.

I find that very, very hard to believe.   I won't bother saying more since this post will likely be deleted anyway.  Off-topic.

Probably, they didn't have a PVR. Most of the problems are with the recordings management.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

And PVR's have no on demand. And the search function is messed up. 

Steve
I'm a Reliable Contributor

remaxman wrote:

And PVR's have no on demand. And the search function is messed up. 

Funny, my PVR has fully functional On Demand and search, while not as good as before also works.

I've Been Here Awhile

The items listed are some of my biggest complaints. Throw in:

6. While playing back a recording, the info button exits the playback instead of smoothly displaying the information as in live view;

7. It is impossible to see scheduling conflicts;

8. Without the details of the scheduled recordings, one cannot make changes to channels or time slots;

9. The piles of tiles is supposed to look like a computer interface to allow quick access to your recordings. That only works if you have a few piles. With over 40 piles on my screen and no mouse, keyboard or scroll bar, the slow interface just doesn't cut it.

I own my box. Please return my PVR to is prior usable state.