UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@molly222 wrote:

@park wrote:

@Steelheader wrote:
Rapid accessible cc is something Rogers has been told about about and from what I understand they are working on

Q: What makes you so sure ?

They were told last July 28th by many of us in the 1st round of guineapigs.

Rogers did nothing about it in the new version.

The CRTC told me that they have been receiving complaints about this issue since August 2015.  They said they are aware that it did not get fixed as promised in the December rollout.  They did not say what/if anything is currently being done to address this issue (I'm not holding my breath).

@molly222 @Cush   @Steelheader

There is a permanent solution that the CRTC could do to help the public (i.e. us)  and foster more choice and competiton.  Let customers choose their own PVR and/or software. Rogers can do keep doing whatever they want but we would no longer be held captive.

That is how things work in the US and I believe the UK and how they  worked here with Analog TV.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@park wrote:

@molly222 @Cush   @Steelheader

There is a permanent solution that the CRTC could do to help the public (i.e. us)  and foster more choice and competiton.  Let customers choose their own PVR and/or software. Rogers can do keep doing whatever they want but we would no longer be held captive.

That is how things work in the US and I believe the UK and how they  worked here with Analog TV.

And that will never happen just like not forcing French channels on people who don't want them.

I Plan to Stick Around

@dexter394444 wrote:

I cannot believe that Rogers has thrown out a perfectly good guide for Navigatr! Nearly all of the functions require more steps than the previous system. But that is only the tip of the iceberg! 

A DISGUSTED ROGERS "CUSTOMER"

We are all disgusted. I have been following this forum for a couple of weeks, and new people keep arriving with the same problems and the same suggestions.  It seems to have been that way since July!  I wonder what on earth is going on at Rogers?  Why can't they put this right?  Seems to be a serious epidemic of inertia over there.  Perhaps they need some help.

I have been in touch with the Office of the President, and received a very quick, and pleasant,  response.  I have been asked to list out my issues!  Feels like doing homework, and I have not got around to it.  But I did direct them to this Forum.

I do suggest that everyone get in touch with them, as it is a more direct way to voice your displeasure, and we have no idea if the information from this Forum is really getting through to where we want it to.

Send your lists and suggestions, and GDKitty and others, send your list of issues,  tips and workarounds....and a bill! Smiley Happy

It is the strangest thing I have ever seen from a service company, making such a huge mistake, appearing to realise it and promising to fix it, and then releasing it to the rest of the customers, before making sure they got it right!  Some very questionable decision making at the top.  And the worst part, not saying anything to customers to explain what is going on.  Apologies from customer service reps are just not good enough any more.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Customer01 - the list is available in the following link - just cut/paste:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Absolutely everything is wrong with this navigator bar, one would almost think they want to get out of the cable buissness and concentrate on cell phones, especially now that the CRTC has set new guidelines for pricing. I for one will be looking for a different satelite co. unless they bring back the automatic channel change when setting a reminder, which I need for my husband who is quadripligic. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok I am trying to watch my Joyce Meyers recordings ,says I have 38 lets me scroll down to fourth one, is this another bad joke about Navigator? When is Rogers going to fix simple issues like the channel changeing when you set a reminder? The funniest one is does anyone realize that in the new NetBox series there has never been a way to set the box to turn off .It use to be an option. You would assume that any sort of power saving options would be mandatory these days .Every bit of power people can save theese days counts. If you have 3 NetBoxes running for no reason I am sure it would add up and they should turn off if inactive. 

Mostly what is the point of having 38 recordings no way to scroll to them come on!

I Plan to Stick Around

@ALDK wrote:

Absolutely everything is wrong with this navigator bar, one would almost think they want to get out of the cable buissness and concentrate on cell phones, especially now that the CRTC has set new guidelines for pricing. I for one will be looking for a different satelite co. unless they bring back the automatic channel change when setting a reminder, which I need for my husband who is quadripligic. 

I agree, about appearing they are not really interested in the cable business.  Certainly, what has gone on shows lack of interest in customer satisfaction, at the management level.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@RedBerry11 wrote:

The funniest one is does anyone realize that in the new NetBox series there has never been a way to set the box to turn off .It use to be an option. You would assume that any sort of power saving options would be mandatory these days .Every bit of power people can save theese days counts.

Do you mean a sleep timer, where you can set the box to turn off after a certain period in case you fall asleep watching? I believe that feature was left off with Navigatr. But if you had been following these threads since about Christmas, Navigatr did introduce a feature where the box turned completely off to save power after about 3 hours of inactivity, missing scheduled recordings until you rebooted it the next day. Customers were outraged, so Rogers removed that "feature".

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, here is the thread on the topic of the Energy Saving portion of the Navigatr firmware which Rogers tried to implement in the Navigatr December rollout:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Unfortunately, the firmware was not properly written for PVRs.  Instead of going to sleep, the PVR went into a coma requiring you to reboot the PVR.  Part of the issue appeared to be that button presses when watching a recording were not recognized as "activity", therefore the PVR went to sleep after 3-4 hours unless you watched live TV.  If this weren't bad enough, the PVR could not be reawakened without being rebooted.  With proper testing and code, it should be possible to write firmware to save energy, but we all know what sort of testing has been performed on Navigatr and none of it appears to have been done properly.

The issue also affected the 4642 STB which turned off after 3-4 hours of inactivity.  This isn't an issue for most people, but some people have these STBs in front of DVD recorders, VCRs, or HTPCs and if they switch off, they make recording impossible.  It also meant that the power funtionality may become out of synch with a TV causing one to be on with the other off - very confusing for those who don't understand what's happening, or how to get them back in synch. (say by turning only the TV on or off)

As an FYI, Rogers tried something similar with the SA8300HDs in 2010 (spin the HDDs down) but since they didn't write/test the firmware properly then either, they had to revert to leaving the SA8300HD HDDs spinning.

So, as you can tell, the issue of energy saving is not a straight-forward one.  One way around it would be to make energy saving an option in the firmware, like it is on many devices. That way the user can decide if his viewing habits allow for the feature to work properly.  I'm certainly interested in saving energy, but only if it doesn't adversely affect the operation of the equipment.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to ask the Rogers moderators if the  information from this Forum re issues with Navigatr is being forwarded to the appropriate department to be dealt with.   Since there has been no public acknowledgement to customers by management, via email or other means, and many of the issues have been so longstanding, I am not sure that they are listening, or interested.