UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

There are alternatives to Rogers in most neighbourhoods. If you decide to use another provider, ask them if they will contact Rogers to notify them of the transfer of your services. This will short-circuit any retention effort.  They'll call you to confirm though.  You may have to pay early termination fees if you have any active promotions which sucks, but what sucks more is continuing to pay for a service you can't use from a company that treats its customers with contempt.

I just switched to Bell Fibe. The PVR UX is perfectly designed. It has all the functionality that Navigatr omitted and more. Bell's is slightly more expensive than the package I had with Rogers but it's the best alternative I found, and so far I love it. Thinking back to Navigatr and how it compares to Fibe, I laugh (and cry).  

I speculate that there's some mutually beneficial arrangement between Espial and Rogers that was made in order to benefit stockholders.  It's obvious that customers and customer satisfaction were not part of the equation.  Rogers will no doubt survive fleeing customers in the end.  

As I returned all of my equipment to a nearby Rogers store yesterday, I witnessed a team of dedicated vibrant employees (or independent contractors) working hard to acquire and service customers, and all the while I couldn't help but think how they, we have all been betrayed.

-Seth Wilson

I Plan to Stick Around

@sethlwilson wrote:

I just switched to Bell Fibe. The PVR UX is perfectly designed. It has all the functionality that Navigatr omitted and more. Bell's is slightly more expensive than the package I had with Rogers but it's the best alternative I found, and so far I love it. Thinking back to Navigatr and how it compares to Fibe, I laugh (and cry).  

I speculate that there's some mutually beneficial arrangement between Espial and Rogers that was made in order to benefit stockholders.  It's obvious that customers and customer satisfaction were not part of the equation.  Rogers will no doubt survive fleeing customers in the end.  

As I returned all of my equipment to a nearby Rogers store yesterday, I witnessed a team of dedicated vibrant employees (or independent contractors) working hard to acquire and service customers, and all the while I couldn't help but think how they, we have all been betrayed.

-Seth Wilson

Just got off the phone with Rogers (40 minute wait on hold this time) to report that the guide info for ABC Spark is missing as of Monday at 8:00 a.m.  The same thing happened last week for TLN.  I know my neighbours (with Rogers) have been experiencing this same problem, so it's not an isolated issue.  Also is not an issue with getting info from the subscribed network because people I know with other companies have info for these channels from their providers.  So if any of you are taping on ABC Spark as of Monday, you'll find those tiles are now zombies.

While on the phone with Rogers, I was surprised that they actually asked about Navigatr and my thoughts...since I call them almost once a week to report some new stupid bug and have never actually received this response from them, I was quite surprised.  One small step in the right direction for Rogers. 

Regardless, I did tell them to put a note on my file that I did call Bell to request Fibe TV...sadly, not yet available on my street...but they are aiming for this spring.  So I guess at this point it is a race...whomever can provide me with a PVR that can reliably deliver me the basics fastest wins!

Sethlwilson:  I am green with envy!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dexter394444 wrote:

3) However, the prize goes to "closed captions".

Until Rogers fixes this, there is a workaround for the CC issue. You turn on CC once in live programming and then use the workaround as necessary.  I believe there are a couple of channels (CTV?  Global?) that have garbled CC issues. The rest should be OK, but no guarantees.  See the following link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Please take a few minutes to read the following links. They will save you hours of frustration and questions:

How To:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Issues Summary:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Summary/Tips.  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah, I'm too..... and to set the reminder (just remind you to watch now or dismiss) the little icon takes forever to show up what a test for you patience.

I think they try to jam too many functionality into a limited CPU power of the Nextbox.

Cat Mad

I'm a Senior Contributor

@sethlwilson wrote:

The problem with Bell Fibe is that you also have to have your Internet through them (since that's how Fibe works) and frankly their Internet packages (at the top end at least) are very poor compared to Rogers. I get way more speed and unlimited downloads on my current Ignite 250 plan and can not come even CLOSE to that on Bell (or so I think?). So if I could do Fibe on its own I would be there in a flash. But I'm unwilling to give up my superior Internet plan to get there.

Rock, meet hard place.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rapid accessible cc is something Rogers has been told about about and from what I understand they are working on
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

PVR Recordings

Suggestion

Prior, during or after recording a series, when you select the tile for the series, there is a dispaly showing the station number, the station name, the date of the recording and time. 

For consistency, display the same information for a single recording. The above information is useful for all recordings, not just for a series.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry to hear Fibe isn't yet available in you neighbourhood. I live in a high-rise in downtown old Toronto area. Up until a year ago Rogers had some sweetheart deal with my landlord for TV service. I guess it expired.

Currently Bell has fibre to my building which means the "last kilometre" is still CAT5. This limits the throughput, but I was told they will bring the fibre right into the condo in about 3 years.

Any who ... I was perfectly happy with Rogers TV, Internet, and home phone up until Navigatr was pushed onto my Nextbox 3 PVR. I had heard horror stories about Bell and Fibe, and besides Rogers is or was cheaper.  The "bugs" they're asking customers to be patient about aren't bugs but rather the result of right out less than mediocre development.  I'm a software developer so Navigatr was insulting to me.  Software will always be released with bugs, but NAvigatr isn't even half-baked. Its release was negligent. 

I'm an Advisor

@Steelheader wrote:
Rapid accessible cc is something Rogers has been told about about and from what I understand they are working on

Q: What makes you so sure ?

They were told last July 28th by many of us in the 1st round of guineapigs.

Rogers did nothing about it in the new version.

I Plan to Stick Around

@park wrote:

@Steelheader wrote:

Q: What makes you so sure ?

They were told last July 28th by many of us in the 1st round of guineapigs.

Rogers did nothing about it in the new version.

The CRTC told me that they have been receiving complaints about this issue since August 2015.  They said they are aware that it did not get fixed as promised in the December rollout.  They did not say what/if anything is currently being done to address this issue (I'm not holding my breath).

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.