UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CC
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@gjdj

"How do you record a show that has already started?

It used to be that if you were watching a movie live, say, and you decided to go to sleep, you could just press the red record button and it would record the rest of the movie.  Usually, it would include the portion you had already watched, but if you had been switching channels it would just record from the moment that you began watching the current channel.  (So if I didn't want to record the part that I'd already seen, I'd just flip to another channel for a moment, flip back and press record)

Now how do you do record an in progress movie?  I tried pressing the red record button and nothing happened.  I tried going to the guide and pressing select with the current program and it just takes you to the live view."

I have had this same problem. Sometimes I pressed the red record button but it would not record. I tried it with the guide and it worked. And sometimes it works just pressing the red record button. But yesterday, it would not work with either method. And when I checked the guide, it showed that the program was set to record, but the record light on my PVR was not on. I tried it again and it told me that the program was already recording, but it wasn't in the LIST of recordings or scheduled. I couldn't cancel it either. Guess it depends on the mood of the software.

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

From the various posts on the Rogers Community forums, it seems that NAVIGATR was rolled out sometime in mid 2015. It is astounding the number of complaints from various customers. And these are not just isolated complaints. Customers have the same complaints. My main issues are with (but not limited to) the management of recordings and scheduled recordings. Rogers must have realized how badly accepted the new sofware was. Why would they continue to roll it out knowing that the customers don't like it at all. Why not hold off until the issues were addressed? Did they even beta test it? Shame on Rogers.

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

At this point there are about 150 pages of comments on this thread. I haven't read all of them, but the ones which I have read are all negative towards NAVIGATR. I would like to know if anyone has anything positive to say. From my perspective the only positive I can give is that it looks nicer. But that is cosmetic. There is absolutely no improvement in functionality. And there are a lot of things which are worse. I now have to push several buttons to do what I could do with one push and it is harder to navigate the PVR.

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

@mfait

You may be right about that. I also tried to record a show which was in progress and had "no information" in the guide. I couldn't record this program either with the record button alone or with the guide. And the program showed that it was recording, but actuallly was not.

blackiesfriend
I've Been Here Awhile

correct - these were shows I had taped years ago.  I ended up not taping several episodes of Chicago Fire and only realized it when I went to On Demand.  I would have liked to have taped it at a later time so that it was on my PVR.

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

@blackiesfriend wrote:

I have a Nextbox 2.0 - I can only tape 2 shows while watching 1.  Sometimes I have 3 shows scheduled to tape at the same time and one doesn't get taped - with the new Navigatr, how can I see if 3 shows are scheduled to tape at the same time?  I have purchased this box so an upgrade isn't possible.

thanks.

I feel your pain...I too own a Nextbox 2.0 (puchased roughly 2.5 years ago...within weeks of 3.0 coming out...which I tried to return at the time for the newer version, only to be told not to worry, that Rogers will support 2.0 for a minimum of 5 years...LOL).  The Navigatr is especially frustrating for us as one of the new "features" was to take away the symbol indicating a sceduled recording conflict.  Now when there is a conflict, the Navigatr will choose for you which one to not record.  If you don't like it's decision, you can sift thru all the Zombie tiles at the bottom and try to figure out which one it decided you really don't want to watch.

Also mentioned in the last day or so are the other new features.  No longer can you see a nice clean list of scheduled recordings with any conflicts cleary flagged.  Now you have to sift thru pages of tiles...some with pictures of whats inside, others with pictures of shows that do not match what's inside, and still others that are just plain grey truncating off the title that you didn't really need to read.  Now there are some workarounds to help you with this train wreck.  Rogers will now guide it's customers to this forum where very nice resident experts have compiled guides, work a rounds, and other extremely useful information for us to try and find some use for this big paperweight that we now own (note that these people are not paid by Rogers, just very helpful people).  There is of course the option of now doing all your programming on line using the app.  While it can be easier as others have mentioned, to me there is something wrong when I have to sit in front of my tv with my laptop in order to make my tiles easier to manage.  There is also something wrong when I have to have a post it note on my tv reminding my family not to hit the favorite button because it will mess things up.  Maybe Rogers can reassign this button for closed captioning?  Why is every other remote in hotels, etc. equipped with a CC button but not the Rogers remote?

A few posts ago Bruce mentioned doing a survey to find out how prevalant some issues are, i.e. the record button, etc. An excellent ideal!  Of course I'm not holding my breath.  I've been waiting since July 28th for Rogers to acknowledge that there are issues.  It seems that any information or help will only be found in forums, here and elsewhere, by volunteers.  I've learned a lot in 7 months.  The only Rogers email I am going to get is either my bill or a notice of price increase.  Any calls from Rogers will only be pre-recorded messages, saying they are still working on ticket # XYZ  from August.

I would like to thank the moderators for taking all of our concerns to the appropriate people.  I have double and tripled checked the entirety of this post, and I am confident that it is all "on topic".

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

@molly222 wrote:

I feel your pain...I too own a Nextbox 2.0 (puchased roughly 2.5 years ago...within weeks of 3.0 coming out...which I tried to return at the time for the newer version, only to be told not to worry, that Rogers will support 2.0 for a minimum of 5 years...LOL).  The Navigatr is especially frustrating for us as one of the new "features" was to take away the symbol indicating a sceduled recording conflict.  Now when there is a conflict, the Navigatr will choose for you which one to not record.  If you don't like it's decision, you can sift thru all the Zombie tiles at the bottom and try to figure out which one it decided you really don't want to watch.

Also mentioned in the last day or so are the other new features.  No longer can you see a nice clean list of scheduled recordings with any conflicts cleary flagged.  Now you have to sift thru pages of tiles...some with pictures of whats inside, others with pictures of shows that do not match what's inside, and still others that are just plain grey truncating off the title that you didn't really need to read.  Now there are some workarounds to help you with this train wreck.  Rogers will now guide it's customers to this forum where very nice resident experts have compiled guides, work a rounds, and other extremely useful information for us to try and find some use for this big paperweight that we now own (note that these people are not paid by Rogers, just very helpful people).  There is of course the option of now doing all your programming on line using the app.  While it can be easier as others have mentioned, to me there is something wrong when I have to sit in front of my tv with my laptop in order to make my tiles easier to manage.  There is also something wrong when I have to have a post it note on my tv reminding my family not to hit the favorite button because it will mess things up.  Maybe Rogers can reassign this button for closed captioning?  Why is every other remote in hotels, etc. equipped with a CC button but not the Rogers remote?

A few posts ago Bruce mentioned doing a survey to find out how prevalant some issues are, i.e. the record button, etc. An excellent ideal!  Of course I'm not holding my breath.  I've been waiting since July 28th for Rogers to acknowledge that there are issues.  It seems that any information or help will only be found in forums, here and elsewhere, by volunteers.  I've learned a lot in 7 months.  The only Rogers email I am going to get is either my bill or a notice of price increase.  Any calls from Rogers will only be pre-recorded messages, saying they are still working on ticket # XYZ  from August.

I would like to thank the moderators for taking all of our concerns to the appropriate people.  I have double and tripled checked the entirety of this post, and I am confident that it is all "on topic".

LOL!

But:

DON'T GIVE UP! Every other commercial on TV (Channels I can still view) is about the 4K!

I canNOT wait!

Don't bother searching for it though because when it comes up (and I am SURE that it will) clicking on it has no effect (on ANY search results)

Smiley Wink

(All day yesterday but apparently this has already been reported!)

Johnrc123
I Plan to Stick Around

@Rainna wrote:

For the love of God, Please change it back! Our household is a family of 4 and we all hate this 'new' navigator. It's 5 steps backwards. It's slower, confusing, hard to read, just AWFUL. I hope Rogers sees what a huge mistake they've made and fix it fast. I am so tempted to switch to Bell. Is there some kind of petition we can all sign to have them switch it back?

There seems to be a petition started here:

https://www.change.org/p/rogers-com-rogers-please-rollback-navigatr-for-nextbox

Foley07
I've Been Here Awhile

The update has made navigating the menu and recording screens next to impossible. It just took me close to 10 mins just to record two shows. It is frustrating and was a total step in the wrong direction as far as trying to improve navigation.

JeanJ
I've Been Here Awhile

I am not sure who made the decision to change the Menu layout but they should be fired.

The menu was nice the way it was before, easy to use and comprehensible.  Sure there were some things that could always be improved but for such a drastic change makes no sense.

First off:

Why can't you see the program currently showing when you browse through the shows you recorded like you used to in the last version.

Second:

The pictures of the show you recorded is nice but why so big?

Third:

The technical issues are so staggering that i would need an entire day to enumerate them.  You watch a show and want to fast forward or rewind and the control does not work or it freezes the unit and re-boots it making you miss what ever you where recording because of the reboot.  FIX IT !!!

Forth:

Why not give us the option to return to the old version if we wish.  Why force us to endure the changes and the bugs (which are so numerous) while you try to make this work.

No wonder more people are streaming on line now because of this kind of appalling changes.

If case you did not noticed, i am not a fan of this new Navigatr.  It is really bad and should be removed immediately until you actually ask people on what they would like to see and make a version that will not infuriate the user thinking why am i spending this much money on this piece of ......