UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Steelheader, you are bang on. I have a NB3 9865HD and the only issues that i have come across are usability-based. All a PVR is is a small computer and the older models are clearly underpowered. This is the same paradigm as the PC. Older ones may still function but as time passes applications are written for newer, more powerful hardware and not thought is given to older PCs. In this case we were all forced to upgrade to Navigatr unlike with Windows where you can take your chances with older versions. People seem to want all sorts of functionality without considering that a more powerful processor will be required to enable this. You pay more to rent a PVR but when it is obsolete or underpowered, you exchange it. If you own it, you eventually have a doorstop

I've Been Here Awhile

My Navigatr has recorded and recording pending mixed arbitrarily in the boxes.  The whole thing is a balky regression from the original format.  Also, can't organize programs by PVR [of three] as before.  The whole dreary mess is a curse.  And for what?  So you see visual boxes--big deal.

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree (Park). However, we can't go back, unfortunately. So the NB3 will definitely lower the frustration level of NB2 users. I did see ( and perhaps it was my own wishful delusion) that a few weeks after the Navigatr intro, that the NB2 was slightly, again slightly, faster.
I'm a Senior Contributor

@rgottinger wrote:

Steelheader, you are bang on. I have a NB3 9865HD and the only issues that i have come across are usability-based. All a PVR is is a small computer and the older models are clearly underpowered. This is the same paradigm as the PC. Older ones may still function but as time passes applications are written for newer, more powerful hardware and not thought is given to older PCs. In this case we were all forced to upgrade to Navigatr unlike with Windows where you can take your chances with older versions. People seem to want all sorts of functionality without considering that a more powerful processor will be required to enable this. You pay more to rent a PVR but when it is obsolete or underpowered, you exchange it. If you own it, you eventually have a doorstop

Except for the fact that there is no PVR box in Rogers' stable or presumably anywhere else in the world that will turn this piece of junk Navigatr into a well-designed platform. Yes it may run faster or slower on this machine or that one, but the problem is mainly the software implementation, not the hardware being used. 

I've Been Around

The new guide is frustrating, slow, and messed up. It takes forever for the guide to respond to the remote. My recorded programs are no longer in folders. Each program has to be opened individually to be able to get a description. After you delete a program, you are sent back to the start of your recorded list and have to scroll all the way back down again! It is tedious! I hate the new guide and can't believe that anyone tested it out and gave it the go ahead! 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have a 9865HD box and slowness is not the problem, usability is. Older boxes seem to struggle with performance as many on here have said repeatedly

I Plan to Stick Around

if you call in and complain they can put a patch on a 9865 for the slow remote response.Hey Rogers are you still hiring for the Navigator alpha testing  or are your customers still going to do it for you?

I'm an Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

Computer (from dictionary.com) - a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.

Doesn't a PVR accept data, perform logical operations and display the results?

As for the fridge, stove and coffee maker, no one could update that if they wanted to without access now could they?

Q: How can I get my  PVR to add 2+2 ?  And the obvious.... Navigatr and logical operations ? 

FYI: Many devices today have mtnce port (serial or USB) where a tech can plug in his computer,

generally to get diagnostic info. but I suspect in the rare case download a fix. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I used to be able to fast forward with multiple speeds but now it's only one slow speed.

This seems to have happened after the format change. Any way to get the multiple FFW speeds back?

I've Been Here Awhile

I like my current Nextbox guide. Is it possible for me to opt-out of the Navigatr update?

Customers are not able to opt-out of this update. We’ve updated the look and feel of the guide and made it easier and more intuitive to use. We’ve also included new features and updates to others like the mini-guide, info screen, PVR, a new search engine, and more that we know you’ll love.

This is what I am greeted with when get to the feedback page for the new Navigatr system...  By what the community is saying it doesn’t sound like many customers are enjoying the experience!

I’m not saying that I would have been able to design a better system but WHY!! Take out key features that you presented in the last update that were enriching the viewing experience???

Here are a few points that I have found that you have moved backward on, and have made the viewing experience more frustrating and not fun!

1. When viewing your recorded programs in the old system you were able to see and hear live tv. That is now gone you can only hear live tv.

1. When watching a recorded program you are not able to check your list of recordings. The video will pause.

It was a better experience before when you could have the ability to do both at the same time.

1. When deleting a recorded program the cursor is defaulted on (Yes), which can lead to an unwanted deletion. On the old system it defaulted to (No), so it was not an issue.

1. The new system offers less information on your recordings.

In the old system it would indicate the channel that you recorded on.

1. In the old system you were able to at a glance see your recordings and the date they were recorded, description of the program.

In the new system you have to enter the individual recording... Is there a list option?

1. Sometimes a security icon at the top right of the Saved recordings page... What does that mean?

1. In the old system you could perform multiple deletes of different shows. That is not possible anymore.

1. The new system considers ALL recordings as "new" shows. In the old system you were able to tell at a glance which episodes were new or old.