UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Search function problem on New NB3

Just got the Next Box 3. It IS way faster than the NB2 (8642) with the better CPU. Amongst the problems that have been listed over dozens and dozens of pages, it looks like, as of this date Feb 16th the Search system isn't working. Type in anything...say GOLF, and the same two tiles come up. Type OJ Simpson...and the same tiles come up.

The service guy came in and installed the box and everything seemed to be okay after a couple of reboots as the Navigatr download took time.

Any suggestions? Or is this another " if in doubt...REBOOT"

I'm an Advisor

Hey @Steelheader,

Have given up on Search as implemented in Navigatr - I am using the Rogers Home Edition app on my iPad to find programs. Crazy, right?

I'm an Advisor

@Steelheader wrote:

Search function problem on New NB3

Just got the Next Box 3. It IS way faster than the NB2 (8642) with the better CPU. Amongst the problems that have been listed over dozens and dozens of pages, it looks like, as of this date Feb 16th the Search system isn't working. Type in anything...say GOLF, and the same two tiles come up. Type OJ Simpson...and the same tiles come up.

The service guy came in and installed the box and everything seemed to be okay after a couple of reboots as the Navigatr download took time.

Any suggestions? Or is this another " if in doubt...REBOOT"

My search worked OK.

As far as I know Search is a central function, so if a reboot does not work, and you have tightened all the cable connections, get Rogers to check the signal quality comming to your box.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Park. I rebooted and no better. My wife's NB3 does search okay. Tech support said it could take 24 hours for full functionality. They also said signal on my box was weak. They are sending someone out Thursday to check.
I Plan to Stick Around

All connections btw are tight and okay.

I'm an Advisor

@Steelheader & @park: I find that the Search app on the cable boxes delivers a poor and sub-optimal experience.  In the past, you could filter what type of result you wanted back - VOD, Live, etc.

The current implementation prioritizes ON DEMAND - which has not worked since November 2015 - in front of live programming.  Try searching for "Star Trek", and see what happens...what a pain.  The app gives relevant results for live TV, and allows you to schedule recordings in one-shot.  Just my 2 cents.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I had that problem with a weak signal a few years ago and it ended up with all the coax being replaced. The weak signal issues suddenly went away

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ON a new box, VoD, search, some of the features like that.. appear to take 24hrs + to fully start working

(this was true even on RTN, not only navigatr)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I noticed the same behaviour but after 3 weeks, other than the usability issues, I have had no perfromance issues at all on my 9865HD box.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

From my experience, you'll see 3 'types' of tiles.

Closest to the top, will be the ones that have a recording of anything in it... may also have a scheduled one too.

Following that, will be the ones that JUST have scheduled recordings (and have the date usually on the tile)

Those 'zombie' tiles at the bottom.. are your 'series' recording tiles.  That there is a SCHEDULE for the series. 
So you could go in and change the shedule settings, etc..  but there is NO new schedule for it that has come up yet to show up with a 'date' that its scheduled for the next week, etc.

@Gdkitty

Thanks. I just noticed the "zombies" yesterday. I have been so annoyed at so many other things that I guess I never noticed the huge list of "zombie" tiles at the end. Every single one that I have tried so far is totally empty. It caught my eye because these were tiles for shows that had LONG ago been deleted, some from well more than a year ago - certainly long before Navigatr.

So are you saying that, in the past, when we deleted all of the recorded shows in a folder (old RTN) that the box still remembers that at some time in the past we had scheduled a series and is keeping the pointers to that schedule, even though a show may have been off the air for two years?  If so, I guess that means we have to be more diligent when deleting to make sure to delete the "series" and not just the shows in the folder/tile.

After the fact, can I go into the Zombie tiles and actually delete the series schedule now to get rid of these annoying empty "placeholders" that will NEVER get reactivated?