UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

The figure I saw in a financial report was something like 1-3 million (as it was software, without any hardward costs) and customization costs I am sure.

No way to go back it seems - likely with the change with Cisco getting out of setboxes.

Things went totally south on this rollout of new technology and now we have to deal with it, along with all those poor people in various levels os support who have been given the marketing lines, some token trouble shooting tasks, but no information on what really is going on, or if they know they have been ordered to not tell.  I suspect it has been kept behind closed doors way on high, because no one at Rogers seems willing to show their cards, so we have lots of rumour, confusion, mismessages from staff, frustration, anger, people leaving and moving on, and this is certainly not living up to their desire to improved customer service.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Problems with future recordings

This is the second week in a row that I have had NCIS scheduled for tomorrow, had watched them the same night and deleted them, thereby moving them down into the blank future rcordings section.

No future recordings for the shows and one other in the scheduled recordings for tomorrow - So I recreated it from the guide, and deleted the ones that didn't come up.  When I created the first NCIS, the other one came up, giving me two scheduled recordings on different channels.

Accidently deleted NCIS LA future schedulings with nothing in the tile, so I will have to remember to put it back once it is in the guide.

Not sure what is going on here, but frustrating having to constantly check for recordings - not new to the box in general, but common.

I am now moving back to my old practice of leaving the shows I watched in the tile - it stays up in the top as watched, then when the scheduled one shows up, I have to into the tile to see if it is there, but can also filter for scheduled only - to find it - After I watch the next recording, I again leave a watched show in place.  Lot of work for what should be a simple activity to try to avoid problems, that are not predictable.

Any one else having this, or have suggestions.

Bruce

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From my posting on page 120 of this thread comes the following:

"And from the Globe and Mail's top picks for 2015.  Have a look at page 28 - Appendix 2.  It contains some interesting numbers such as an upfront payment of $10 /  subscriber and and an ongoing revenue rate of $1.50 / subscriber per year.  Reading thru the various Stockhouse posts, it looks as if Rogers and Espial had signed a contract in 2013, so, this has been in development for at least two years.  And, in summer 2015, out comes the alpha version.  "

Perhaps Cisco had indicated back in 2012/2013 to its customers that it was fully intending to exit the set-top business two to three years down the road.  If so, that sets a possible drop dead date by which time its customers would have to be prepared to accept whom ever bought the division and stay with that company, or, go off on their own and support themselves for any future changes or bug fixes.  We'll never know as no one at Rogers appears ready to provide any explanation of how they arrived at 2015's alpha version after two years of software development.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/12...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/article22576107.ece/BINARY/Top_Picks_2015_FINAL.pdf119...

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Cisco had certainly posted an end of life schedule for production, support agreements, opportunity to extend, discontinuing any modifications accept for bug fixes to those with contracts, and recommendations to move from their version 3.0 which we use to 3.5

No indication as to what Technicolor intends to do with that end of life schedule, and whether they plan to go anywhere with 3.5.

They like everyone else are moving to IPTV, Intenet apps, cloud storage, they are licensed for RDK and the end of production was last July, and end of support on existing contracts is in March, and these changes have been known for a couple of years too, so suspect that these changes were being considered in making the contract decisions, then suddenly Cisco's shareholders force them to drop out of setbox business totally, not just software , but both software and hardware - they are going back to the media server farm side of things.

Bruce

park
I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

The figure I saw in a financial report was something like 1-3 million (as it was software, without any hardward costs) and customization costs I am sure.

No way to go back it seems - likely with the change with Cisco getting out of setboxes.

Things went totally south on this rollout of new technology and now we have to deal with it, along with all those poor people in various levels os support who have been given the marketing lines, some token trouble shooting tasks, but no information on what really is going on, or if they know they have been ordered to not tell.  I suspect it has been kept behind closed doors way on high, because no one at Rogers seems willing to show their cards, so we have lots of rumour, confusion, mismessages from staff, frustration, anger, people leaving and moving on, and this is certainly not living up to their desire to improved customer service.

Bruce

A cable customer is worth $4000-$5000.  Reducing the number of customers leaving would quickly pay for the Espial mistake.  I wonder if Roger retentions deptartment or OOPs could keep all those leaving if they offered to a shiny nw TIVO to those who are leaving because of Navigatr.

Ref:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-31/business/sns-rt-us-comcast-buyback-20140331_1_comcast-...

LindaLGibson
I've Been Here Awhile

Hope you all get this. I was totally fed up with new system after two weeks. Switched to bell yesterday. It is totally amazing.
1945mdh
I Plan to Stick Around

Bruce - I've had the same problem - with NCIS variants and other programs. I usually find a "Zombie" tile at the bottom - nothing scheduled or recorded. Nothing in the tiles above. When I go to reschedule it I'm told it's already there.

I'm now reviewing every scheduled recording - every night - and usually deleting and reentering everything.

I just wonder at my new enhanced viewing experience.

Mike
rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How would Object Oriented Programming keep customers from leaving? That is what OOP is short for. Office of the President would be OOTP if anything

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1945mdh wrote:
Bruce - I've had the same problem - with NCIS variants and other programs. I usually find a "Zombie" tile at the bottom - nothing scheduled or recorded. Nothing in the tiles above. When I go to reschedule it I'm told it's already there.

I'm now reviewing every scheduled recording - every night - and usually deleting and reentering everything.

I just wonder at my new enhanced viewing experience.

Mike

From my experience, you'll see 3 'types' of tiles.

Closest to the top, will be the ones that have a recording of anything in it... may also have a scheduled one too.

Following that, will be the ones that JUST have scheduled recordings (and have the date usually on the tile)

Those 'zombie' tiles at the bottom.. are your 'series' recording tiles.  That there is a SCHEDULE for the series. 
So you could go in and change the shedule settings, etc..  but there is NO new schedule for it that has come up yet to show up with a 'date' that its scheduled for the next week, etc.

Genec
I Plan to Stick Around

I reecntly re booted my digital top box and now navigatr will not save recording settings ie time start ...time finish