UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@CC9 wrote:

We've been working through the new Navigatr upgrade to our Nextbox and have encountered a few issues.  Below are some observations or suggestions but others are issues and I wonder if anyone else is experiencing or has a suggestion:

1. Suggestion:  I record daily TV series so I like to know what day of the week the show was on, i.e. Mon, Tues, Wed...etc.  Please add the day of the week back into the recording description.  It makes it much easier to watch a specific episode.

2. Issue: If we have 2 shows recording at the same time and then try to watch a recorded show, it seems to cause some sort of error.  Even if we cancel one of the shows, the TV screen goes dark and we can't get to the other recording that is in progress.  

3. Issue:  The PVR indicates its recroding something even though we cancelled the recording.  We couldn't get back to live TV at all and had to reboot the unit to get it to work.

4. Suggestion:  From the guide it would be great to have the option not only to record a single program but the series while watching the show.  I often find a show I like and mid-way through decide to record the series.  It would be great to have the same functionality to record a series while actually watching the show.

5.  Observation: I don't need to see the images of my shows, this takes up too much real estate.  I much prefer the list view. I recognize that Rogers is trying to recreate the experience of some of the streaming services but I know what show's I've recorded so I don't need an image to remind me.  The streaming services show the 'cover image' just as with books, i.e., you see an intriguing image on the cover and you might be tempted to watch a show that you haven't watched before.  This isn't necessary with a PVR.

6. Issue:  The show images are too large and the bottom row is getting cut off. 

7. Observation:  I'd give the Navigatr upgrade a failing grade.  The changes aren't of any value to me, i.e. haven't made my viewing experience more pleasurable.  I would go back to the old version in a heart beat. My suspicious nature makes me wonder if this is a purposeful ploy to make me consider updgrading to the next version of Nextbox?  I'm certainly finding this new version very frustrating.

8.Issue:  There is a noticeable lag time between when I make any sort of selection on my remote and the Navigtr responds.  This wasn't an issue with the previous version.  This has lead to sometimes clicking too many times and moving into a screen that I didn't want.  I've almost erased a show accidentally this way.  We have to do a 1-2 count after each selection just to see if it is going to react.  Very annoying.

9. Question:  How do I do time shifting recording?  I searched for the show in the guide, selected it but then it didn't show me all of the alternate times that the show was playing.  I used this feature extensively to ensure that I was never recording 2 shows at the same time.  Can anyone tell me how to do this with the new guide?

What a great summary of many of the issues with Navigatr.  Calm and succinct.  Rogers, this is one to take note of.  It's only 9 things, not  much really,  but would make a big difference.

I've Been Around

I hate this new guide. It's not easier to read than the older one if anything it's harder. The recordings on your PVR are not clearly listed as being recorded or recording & the titles are hard to read because they look like a book or DVD cover rather than the previous look that showed more details.

I hate the color background, its harder on the eyes than the black & red colors from before. It's not any faster to find the chanels listings than before. I hate the way the show decription rolls up & how small it is compared to before. I wish you would have kept a good thing the way it was. Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Let's bring back the old version.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Steelheader Thanks for the explanation of acronyms. I think Rogers posted something like that, but less complete, and I can't find it right now. Seeing "VOD" confused me because we'd always known it as Rogers On Demand (ROD) and I wondered if it was something exclusive to Navigatr. Many of these you can find on Google and Wikipedia, but others are Rogers specific. One that had me guessing for a long time was "OOP", which Google didn't know. Turns out it was "Office of the President" where you have to escalate problems if they're not getting resolved.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Reliable Contributor

OOP has stood for Object Oriented Programming for decades and i found easily on Google by typing OOP.  Office of the President would be OOTP wouldn't it?

I've Been Around

Im having problems with screens that are freezing up.

@CC9 wrote:

We've been working through the new Navigatr upgrade to our Nextbox and have encountered a few issues.  Below are some observations or suggestions but others are issues and I wonder if anyone else is experiencing or has a suggestion:

6. Issue:  The show images are too large and the bottom row is getting cut off. 

9. Question:  How do I do time shifting recording?  I searched for the show in the guide, selected it but then it didn't show me all of the alternate times that the show was playing.  I used this feature extensively to ensure that I was never recording 2 shows at the same time.  Can anyone tell me how to do this with the new guide?

Re 6:  It's due to your tv overscaning (zooming in a little).  It was discussed here a while ago.  Good luck finding it!

I tried and couldn't!  I was able to fix it on my 2 year old Sony by setting display to "full pixel".  No option to correct on my 6 year old Sony.

I won't go into any more details, but the reason for doing this was discussed here.

Re 9: If you read the 1,000's of posts here you find that the new guide sucks big time at searching. It was suggested that the Rogers "TV Home Edition" app does it better.  I already had this on my iPhone and tried it.  Way better, with many time options of the show. Once linked to your PVR, you can schedule recording right from your phone.  It's also a much better PVR manager.  You can display recorded shows, and scheduled shows  separately.  Now you can see in one screen how many shows you are planning to record at a certain time (for those times you think you have too many scheduled).

If you don't have the app, definitely worth getting for your smartphone or tablet.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

OOP has stood for Object Oriented Programming for decades and i found easily on Google by typing OOP.  Office of the President would be OOTP wouldn't it?

You're right, but someone here used "OOP" a lot and it wasn't for Object Oriented Programming. I notice some forums coin their own acronyms, which are quite baffling to newcomers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Agreed. Especially when the originator doesn't make the acronym consistent with the phrase that they are trying to shorten

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I get that rogers was going for a more visual system, but not only is this navigatr so busy trying to look like Netflix that it lost some of the flexibility of the prior system, it has taken my investment in Nextbox 2 (yes I bought the speedsters from Costco) and made it of even less value. The speed of this operating system on this box is pitiful - every selection has multi second delays. I have to resist the temptation to keep hitting buttons. The PVR menu seems far less flexible or at least not as useful as the prior less slow-poke. I'd like a simple listing without the damned pics. Deleting a series of shows was easy - now it's a pain. With 2 of these dinosaurs in the house, my frustration usually turns us to Apple TV and Netflix - and they were pretty slow from the get go. Very disappointing. How about an upgrade path that doesn't break the bank!!!!

I've Been Here Awhile

The guide was slow before now itis so excurciatingly slow. It takes  3 - 5 seconds for the software to respond. Leads to erros and very poor service.