UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@Brt wrote:
This happens to me every week to ten days and I end up having to reboot the box to resolve the issue. I suspect there is some sort of memory leak within the glorious Navigatr code and the only thing that will clear it up is a reboot. FWIW, I go into Settings, then Troubleshooting and select the Reboot Set-Top Box option.
 I had my first instance of this today - everything was at a snail's pace. A reboot fixed it.
As somebody suggested it seems like a memory leak

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Huh.. i have rarely ever had to reboot my NB3 for any slowdowns, etc.

The only times i had to reboot, was on RTN (the previous guide) with the display bug on the recorded programs (where it would have blank lines, etc)

I've had it slow down to the point where it was too painful to reboot from the troubleshooting screen and it was easier to unplug it. I've learned since then to reboot at the first signs of it slowing down. It was a lot more frequent prior to the December and January updates but it happened as recently as last weekend so I suspect there's still an issue under the hood (but that doesn't surprise me in the least given the level of QA they put this thing through). 

Cheers

I Plan to Stick Around

Another bug i've noticed - two or three times i've finished a program and go to delete it and the confirmation screen as to whether i want to delete - yes or no, instead of having the program i just watched, has one totally different.  I was too quick on the remote and pressed 'yes' and lost the wrong recording.  Happened the other day - i'd watched 'Chicago P.D.' and instead of it being erased, 'Code Black' was deleted!  Luckily, i could watch the episode on VOD.

So...anything you do, be deliberate, do it SLOWLY or else you might suffer the same fate as i have!!

I'm an Advisor

@VITALLY wrote:

Right now Navigat is on BETA testing for glitches , there will be an update after April 15 it will make it 10 times faster than the old one.

PLEASE ELABORATE and respond to the following.

Beta testers are volunteers not conscripts.

Beta testers are usually comped in some fashion for their efforts. Will Rogers comp everyone with a PVR ?

How many beta tests involved the whole customer base ?

Speed was never an issue with NB3s, so what will be 10x faster ?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Same here. All of the issues i have are related to additional keystrokes and design flaws.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Same here. Any issues I have with the new Navigatr are all due to functiionality that requires more effort to do things that were there before or just general usuability flaws.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Recording the show before/after.. is not really a good option.

But you are able to when setting up a single recording.. or a series..

you san set up that it records X many minutes before & after the shows normal airing time.

I don't have the option of entering X number of minutes for any recording settings. Only 5 / 10 / 30 minutes / 1 or 3 hours for both BEFORE and AFTER.

@Gdkitty wrote:

We run into it here with some channels.. wife watches Big Bang theory, etc.

Rogers gets the guide info from their supplier.. which is supplied their listings from the channel providers.
Its channel, says show is 8:00-8:30.
the problem is, the way the SHOW is, the last stuff is usually after the normal end credit timeframe.. it airs the stuff at the last few seconds leading up to the time/show change.. if not a good 30sec or more AFTER.

If Rogers already knows the above, why didn’t they prepare for it?

Also, since there are so many people who's recordings stop before the last credit, perhaps ROGERS should add a custom (user-set) time block to both the BEFORE & the AFTER options?

This should be done (worked on) AFTER everything else like NAVIGATION through search results; search results themselves (the content); the order of the search results;

FONT SIZES (another issue: IMO the guide descriptions could be stationary. I find with the mini-text, the auto scrolling is too fast.)

AND MANY MANY MANY other issues.

ONE COMMENT: I think Rogers should remove this interface (NAVIGATR) and load the PREVIOUS VERSIONS (I am sure they can). This would allow its paying customers to at least enjoy their (our) entertainment.

During this time:

Rogers can do whatever they want with the BUG-RIDDEN FEATURE-LACKING interface that I and everyone else have to battle with multiple times per day BUT I suggest that in order to eventually use Navigatr, they should use the FUNCTIONING PRIOR VERSIONS as the BASICS and ADD (not subtract) to it (them) i.e. build ON THESE since they were already "proven" to work. Mini-bugs, NOT MAXI-BUGS

They are trying to reinvent the wheel but instead of using the round wheel and improving on it, they're starting with a SQUARE design / pre-wheel which will NEVER EVER be as good unless the physical properties of our planet change - but Rogers should not bet on this.

START with PROVEN DESIGNS FIRST, ADD to them, [ ... ] SMALL GROUPS of user-testers [...] follow protocol. --> --> -->  […] --> --> [...] [...] ... <way down the road> (Hopefully on ROUND (not SQUARE) wheels) end_user 

(Sorry)

Thank you and sorry for this going tangential but every time I try for a new topic, it gets merged <somewhere> never to be found again

I Plan to Stick Around

Well put Gdkitty - now if only Rogers would read and act on all the suggestions before we all leave!!

I Plan to Stick Around

Just what the title says. Before, they had added the option of pressying the yellow 'A' button to delete multiple recordings. With the new Navigatr update, it seems to be gone, or I can't find it.

The other thing is pressing the info button when watching previously recorded TV. It would continue playing, and I could still see and select the different options (such as CC), but now, not only does the recording stop as you navigate to the new information page, but I also can't find options such as turning CC on/off. Am I missing something?

I swear if I'm not missing something, and this is just how the new update is, I will call Rogers to give them a rant. It already takes 3-10 seconds for the box to register and display whatever I change with the remote (so it takes me about 30 seconds to delete one recorded listing). With the lag AND not having the option to delete multiple recordings? Pff. 

Really getting sick of Rogers after 15 years...

I've Been Here Awhile

To all

Rogers technicians and all program designers: REMEMBER SIMPLICITY FIRST. ONCE WE KNOW HOW EASY IT IS, WE  WILLL START APPRECIATING HOW PRETTY IT IS!!