UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: VITALLY POST - UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Thanks BRT.

I was wondering if VITALLY is living on a different planet to us mere mortals as nothing he posted made sense!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Since the recent software change, there is a significant delay every time I change channels or move up or down in the Guide.  This delay is very annoying - much like we experience in hotels where they use cheap cable service.  Previously (last week) the system was very responsive and changing channels was almost immediate.  Please correct this situation - I do not expect to pay for a degredation in service!

I'm a Senior Contributor

@VITALLY wrote:

[ ... ]

Right now Navigat is on BETA testing for glitches , there will be an update after April 15 it will make it 10 times faster than the old one . also you have to get used to it , check setting for the BAR on your screen , Like Ted said , the best is yet to come , don't be pessimistic . The Cinema movie house , video store , entertainment , all in one package in your own abode , how good is that . Or you can rent a VCR tape from the local store and view it on your Box TV not flat screen and have to return the tape the next day in minus 20 weather hailing transportation , fuel or call a friend .

[ ... ]

Hi!

Is the April 15th, 2016 date information from Rogers?

And if so, was it from management?

(BTW, April 15th, 2016 is the deadline to file US tax returns)

The program IS a glitch right now (IMO) and is FAR from BETA 

My TWO copies appear never to have seen any of the preprogram steps they're supposed to go through (long before they're written / coded)

I learned that these were very important when creating new software.... If I'm right (I.E. they skipped the preliminaries) it REALLY illustrates the importance of these steps

Thank you

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@alanjohn1 wrote:

Seems like Rogers must have now deleted the "likes" button as nothing happens when you click on it!!

You have to be signed in to use the like button.

I Plan to Stick Around

@TDI-d wrote:

Since the recent software change, there is a significant delay every time I change channels or move up or down in the Guide.  This delay is very annoying - much like we experience in hotels where they use cheap cable service.  Previously (last week) the system was very responsive and changing channels was almost immediate.  Please correct this situation - I do not expect to pay for a degredation in service!

This happens to me every week to ten days and I end up having to reboot the box to resolve the issue. I suspect there is some sort of memory leak within the glorious Navigatr code and the only thing that will clear it up is a reboot. FWIW, I go into Settings, then Troubleshooting and select the Reboot Set-Top Box option.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

I Plan to Stick Around

Vitality is from a different universe, never mind planet. How can 1200+ complaints be wrong?? Saddest of all is the company policy of guiet. (Funny when I went to type in "quiet" it actually auto corrected to "guilt"). There are just so many irritating issues, from slowness to stepwise awkwardness. The worst is the quiet and lack of response. I am surprised that Bell hasn't dropped their pricing to allow a flood of Rogers customers to come in.

Vitality must be a feeble attempt of Rogers to parachute in a mole LOL

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Recording the show before/after.. is not really a good option.

But you are able to when setting up a single recording.. or a series..

you san set up that it records X many minutes before & after the shows normal airing time.

We run into it here with some channels.. wife watches Big Bang theory, etc.

Rogers gets the guide info from their supplier.. which is supplied their listings from the channel providers.
Its channel, says show is 8:00-8:30.
the problem is, the way the SHOW is, the last stuff is usually after the normal end credit timeframe.. it airs the stuff at the last few seconds leading up to the time/show change.. if not a good 30sec or more AFTER.

Ones like those, best to set the 'record 5 mins after' option if you can.

It is something you have to be aware of on a box like the 8642 (nextbox 2.0) though.  WIth only the 2 tuners.. 
Lets say your first recording is set for 8-9pm.. but you put the 5 min extra on it.
you then want to record 2 programs at 9pm.  You cant now, since you have 3 sechedules at 9. (2 to start, 1 running)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TDI-d wrote:

My guess is you have a 8642 (nextbox 2.0)??

Sadly.. its a very underpowered box for this software to run on.
(really, should never have been rolled out for those boxes, in my opinion)

Even the previous guide, was SLOW compared to the NEWER boxes running it.

There is no slow down on it on the Nextbox 3.0

If you are ever at a point where you have no recordings.. and if you are renting the NB2.. VERY worth switching to the NB3.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

@TDI-d wrote:

My guess is you have a 8642 (nextbox 2.0)??

Sadly.. its a very underpowered box for this software to run on.
(really, should never have been rolled out for those boxes, in my opinion)

Even the previous guide, was SLOW compared to the NEWER boxes running it.

There is no slow down on it on the Nextbox 3.0

If you are ever at a point where you have no recordings.. and if you are renting the NB2.. VERY worth switching to the NB3.

My Nextbox 3 still requires periodic reboots when it starts to slow down. Touch wood that I haven't had to do this for the past few days so who knows if they may have addressed it in an update. I just turned my system on and noticed it was set to channel one so it must have been updated in the past few hours. If nothing else, this should buy me another week wihtout having to reboot. Thank you Rogers!

Cheers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh.. i have rarely ever had to reboot my NB3 for any slowdowns, etc.

The only times i had to reboot, was on RTN (the previous guide) with the display bug on the recorded programs (where it would have blank lines, etc)