UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Hi Robindp

I thought it wasn't cosistent but didn't want to say anything.  Thanks for replying!

I'm an Advisor

No worries, it is not consistent at all! 🙂

I'm an Advisor

@CC wrote:

I have done this before. You have to have been watching the show from the beginning without having changed channels.  Example, you start watching a show from the beginning and few minutes in you decide to record it. You can do this. But suppose you start watching a show a few minutes in. You can record it, but only from the time you tuned in. With the old software you could just do it from the record button and it would record the program which you are watching based on what I said above. I think with the new NAVIGATR system, you have to go to the program guide unless they changed it again to do it like the old way.

You are correct on all counts @CC - with the Navigatr software, you must press "Guide" then the record button. I would love a return to the old behaviour - just press REC. Less button presses!

I've Been Here Awhile

Here's a question. Why with all the complaints about the new guide has there been no effort to remedy it?  Why when I am watching a pvrd show and I press info for the show stop? Why when I want to look at the list of my recordings does my current show also stop? WHY IS ROGERS NOT ADDRESSING CUSTOMER CONCERNS?

I'm a Senior Contributor

@robindp wrote:

Hello @alanjohn1,

Recording start times are based on the IPG (guide data) purchased by Rogers from a third party. I am running into the same problem, and am now padding all my recordings by 5 minutes (start and end) to avoid this problem. 

Not a a perfect solution, but it helps keep me in the loop - missing the beginning of any NCIS show makes my head hurt trying to figure out what's going on!

This may be one of those rare times when it may not be Rogers' fault. I have noted increasingly that networks will run shows a minute or two past the scheduled times. I suspect this is a ploy to keep you tuned to their channel because now the rest of the world is out of synch. CBS did this ALL the time during football season for example - they would start 60 Minutes at an odd time EVERY Sunday night and then every other show was at a staggered start/stop time after it. The programming and the guide are useless if the network/channel doesn't follow the rules.

I'm an Advisor

Definitely agree, I am not blaming Rogers for this one as guide data and broadcaster choice is out of their control. At least the NB3 supports 8 recordings at once! Helps mitigate the problem. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I have already given Rogers a list of items which work worse in the new NAVIGATR. Here are some really annoying changes to PVR recording and playback.

1. If you want to watch something which has started recording and is still in progress, you have to tab to the top and select scheduled recordings, tab down to the program in progress and select 'watch'. When the show is over, you cannot delete from that point. You have to tab up again and select recorded programs, tab down to the episode you just watch and the delete. It was so much easier before.

2. If you are watching a show, and you want to see the info, it pauses the recording. It used to give the info without pausing. If I want it to pause, I will do that, but normally I want it to keep going while I check.

3. I can no longer see a list of just the recorded programs. I can see both recorded and scheduled together or scheduled only. And even to switch options, I have to go to settings and change them and then change them back. The old system was easier you could hit list once and see recorded programs and then you could tab over to see them by date, program, or channel. If you wanted to see scheduled programs, just hit 'list' again and you see them by date, program, channel or series simply by tabbing. Who in their right mind ever thought that the new way is any way better?

4 When you exit from a program, it takes you to the top, I preferred going back to the point where I was in the list.  It makes it more difficult for clean up. If I am reviewing and deleting old programs, it is very difficult to delete and go to the next.

5. When watching a show,  you can only see how much time is left. No info about how long the show is unless you are at the beginning or the progress so far - just the time left! As a bonus, pressing info or PVR commands (play pause rewind forward) used to show the time of day along with the recording progression and they took this away.

Please get rid of NAVIGATR  and bring back the old software. I have yet to find anything which is better in the new software. Shame on you, Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh and I forgot to mention:

If you want to record a portion of a program (say one which is 3 or 4 hours long) you cannot do it anymore. They removed the manual record option. So you can record a program and add time before and/or after, but you cannot record, say the first hour only or any time in between. Old system you could get to manual record and set the channel, date and time beginning and ending in 15 min increments. I guess they didn't think that was useful.

I'm Here A Lot

Not sure if anybody has complained about this (too many complaints to go through) or if Rogers even looks at all the complaints, but my complaint (of many) is about the guide.  Whenever you switch to a different day, it automatically goes back to current time, instead of the time your were already at.  So says it's 2:00 pm and you want to schedule primetime shows for multiple days.  I'll go to 8:00 pm, schedule the show.  Then switch to next day, it automatically goes back to 2:00 pm and I have to scroll over to 8:00 pm again for each day.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike wrote:

This may be one of those rare times when it may not be Rogers' fault. I have noted increasingly that networks will run shows a minute or two past the scheduled times. I suspect this is a ploy to keep you tuned to their channel because now the rest of the world is out of synch. CBS did this ALL the time during football season for example - they would start 60 Minutes at an odd time EVERY Sunday night and then every other show was at a staggered start/stop time after it. The programming and the guide are useless if the network/channel doesn't follow the rules.

Most certainly. I stated noticing those 1-minute variations in start and stop times on Global shows originating from NBC. At the time I was scheduling all my recordings by time slot, channel, date, because "First Run (New)" was unreliable, so I'd miss them. But after switching to scheduling "First Run" a year ago, I never missed one that didn't start on the hour.

Scheduling shows from CBS on Sunday evening, that often get delayed by sports events running overtime is a different kettle of fish. CBS often pushes the schedule back by half an hour, but often that isn't enough. There I manually schedule everything until after the 11 o'clock news. The only time I got caught out was with the new X-Files delayed by a stick-and-ball game on another network.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario