UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Yes, exit, like the info button can be unpredictable depending upon what you are doing.  Maybe if someone wants to take it on, they could do like has been done with the info key showing the different ways it operates in the three viewing features of live, pvr and on demand.

Maybe go through the feature set and show the differences in toggling a button, verus, backing out screens, versus exit keys.  There seems to be a huge lack of consistency in how the buttons and feature set of the guide operate in live tv versus PVR and on demand - and this inconsistency exists in many functions.

I suspect it lies in what the Espial video showed us - that there are about 4 different layers of our PVR's of hardware and software that have to interact with each  other and On Demand is one software feature set, PVR is another, basic input/output, like on off, cable versus tv, channel up and down in live tv are down at the Hardware level, been there unchanged for years, and then there is RTN, or the other RDK middle ware, and it doesn't seem that the integration and continuity and user ease of function has been dealt with very well at all.  I now acknowledge that there are probably market and business reasons for what happened, but boy I am getting tired of it all - but I am ranting again.

Hope a solution and understanding of the conflicts can be identified and provided to Rogers to clean it up.

Bruce

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

I totally agree.

I've had Navigatr for about a week now, and I suppose it works the way they programmed it. Problem is, that it doesn't work the way the customers want. I have yet to find a feature which I like more than the old software. But I can give you a long long list of things which are worse. I am not sure they can even address all the problems without a total rewrite. Please bring back the old software.

I've Been Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016 [ New ]

I spent over half an hour getting back to the recorded show I was watching when I decided to schedule a recording of something else that was coming up.

I was told that when they started with Navigatr it was to make using the PVR easier and it has done just the oposite. It is very hard to find listings for shows that are already recorded and listings for future programs that you want to record. I had to reset the box at least twice.

If this is supposed to make using the PVR easier and better, it is failing beyond words. I have even thought of getting rid of Rogers. I keep hoping someone at Rogers will see they need more work to Navigatr and reinstal the old program. Personally, I found nothing wrong with the old system and what I think people such as Rogers Techs should remember is if it's not broke don't fix. They should be ashames of Navigatr.

I Like it Here

My husband and I hate Navigator.

1.  Cannot get pertinent information without going into the selection.

2.  Cannot read entire title.

3.  Pictures take up a lot of room.

4.  Everything loads very slowly because of the pictures.

5.  We have whole home and two PVRs.  We can no longer see a separate listing of my husband's recordings and my recordings.  We may as well get rid of one PVR.  IMPORTANT!!!!

6.  It will only play or delete when it is in the right mood (full moon?) so my PVR is filling up because it is so difficult to get it to cooperate.

7. If something has been preempted, it used to be easy to follow along the course of what has been taped on a specific channel.  This is now very difficult if not impossible.

8. It takes many steps to do something that once happened quickly and easily.

9.  When I talk to tech support, I am told that if I simply undertood how to use it, things would be fine.  I do understand.  No amount of undertanding would help this mess.

I could list more but is there a point?  I have asked for someone to phone me with a solution but no one calls.

I am paying for services that I no longer receive.

I've Been Here Awhile

Well, I've had Navigatr since last July and I HATE it every bit as much now as I did then. When it magically appeared last July, without warning, I had just returned from holiday and my recordings were all gone and none of my shows I was expecting to watch were there. I complained to Rogers and received no compensation for my lost recordings.  Then I spent hours working around all the bugs, lagginess, and needing  to reboot constantly. Watching tv on Rogers became so frustrating, I basically found other things to do. I'm the only one in the house who even watches cable tv anymore, so I cut service back to basic cable. When I found this forum a few months ago, I had hope that a new update was coming soon and maybe everything would be better. Well, I am completely underwhelmed with this new update. It's still slow, clumsy, unreliable, so lacking in ease of use and being able to manage recordings.  I have basically given up using Navigatr and use Anyplace TV on my desktop to try to manage my recordings, but that is far from perfect and only works on my phone half the time (it fails to load quite often). I have used PVRs from other providers and the amount of information and control you can have over your recordings as well as the speed is amazing in comparison. So I am tired of waiting and hoping for improvements and have concluded it's time to cut the cord after 30+ years of paying Rogers ever-increasing fees for ever-declining cable service. I've only stayed this long because I have excellent discounts, but the discounts will soon be done and so am I. I've already found better places to spend my entertainment dollars and time. Navigatr is the straw that broke this camel's back!

I've Been Around

Yesterday, I posted concerns about the new NEXTBOX Navigator in an email to Rogers Support... see below.

Turns out, my concerns are very similar to ones posted back more than 6 months ago (see New Nextbox Navigator thread)

Happily, I did receive a very polite phone call from Rogers.

Yes, they had heard of my concerns and there were people like me who didn't like the new user interface but there were many that did.

She mentioned that they are always making improvements.  

I asked when my particular issues would be discussed.  She did not have a date for this.

Based on the 6 months of idleness on these issues, I can pretty well assume that no improvements are coming.

Dear Rogers IT,  the new interface is not an improvement to what I had. And I will be voting with my feet.

===========

Can I reset  my NEXT box to the old User Inferface ... Please.

The new NEXT user interface is pretty poor.

Here's what I liked about the old versus what the new interface does
1) It was faster ... and way faster to move around when looking at "recordings". I guess those useless images of what the recording is gets in the way of speed.
2) You are now mixing Recordings with ones that exist already and ones that are scheduled. (when you list sorted by most recent). The old way was simpler and less confusing. Don't assume that I am confused. Let me give you a specific example: A 'scheduled' recording is listed as "New" on the picture even though, on that day, the recording hasn't been made yet. Confusing is what I would describe this as ... actually, its more misleading.
3) When I looked, in the old version, for something to watch, I would sometimes choose based on the amount of time I wanted to spend. In the new system, you need to (a) scroll across/down to this (remember the slow speed I mentioned earlier), then (b) select it and (c) wait for the full description to show up. Now, don't assume that everything I record is a hour long - it isn't. Some are movies, some are british crime on PBS or TVO that last more than an hour.

And now a comment on the "more like this" feature.
4) Your "more like this" listing is hilarious. I had recorded E.O Wilson: Of Ants and Men. The "More like this" listing was (left to right): "Beeba Boys", "Scortch trials", "Minions", a "Mission impossible". What's even funnier, just prior to doing this, I had gone in "Search" using the alphabet listing. I typed in "AGX" and these same 4 listings, in exactly the same sequence, also appeared.
5) the"Guide" listing has changed. But not for the better. The text appears more separated however it also appears smaller. And, (a) the vertical timeline distorts the letters that it covers so that they are more illegible. And, at least on my flatscreen, the bottom listing is missing a small portion of the lettering making it harder to read.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Frustrated5 wrote:

My husband and I hate Navigator.

1.  Cannot get pertinent information without going into the selection.

2.  Cannot read entire title.

3.  Pictures take up a lot of room.

4.  Everything loads very slowly because of the pictures.

5.  We have whole home and two PVRs.  We can no longer see a separate listing of my husband's recordings and my recordings.  We may as well get rid of one PVR.  IMPORTANT!!!!

6.  It will only play or delete when it is in the right mood (full moon?) so my PVR is filling up because it is so difficult to get it to cooperate.

7. If something has been preempted, it used to be easy to follow along the course of what has been taped on a specific channel.  This is now very difficult if not impossible.

8. It takes many steps to do something that once happened quickly and easily.

9.  When I talk to tech support, I am told that if I simply undertood how to use it, things would be fine.  I do understand.  No amount of undertanding would help this mess.

I could list more but is there a point?  I have asked for someone to phone me with a solution but no one calls.

I am paying for services that I no longer receive.

Congratulations on getting through to tech support.  I would rather talk directly to them than use this Forum, because the Forum doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere.  These problems have been mentioned over and over, and this thread is so long, but new people keep joining because the Navigatr issues continue.  If the tech dept really thinks that it is a matter of knowing how to use it, then all is lost, because then it will not be changed.  

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Customer01 wrote:

@Mediaman  Sorry, where is the idea box?  I do like your ideas.  

I think you have since found it, but for the benefit of others, the link to the Roger Idea Box is on the Community Forums page, mid way down, where the lightbulb icon is. Direct link is here:  Rogers Idea Box

The more "likes" that are given via the arrow beside the suggestion, the more Rogers might consider them.

My three pet peeves this month, which they can easily fix, are:

Navigtr List screen needs to show date/time/channel being recorded

Persistent links on LIST page to Navigtr to filter and sort

List subscribed cable channels

There are definitely usability issues that is obvious but there is no point in sending directives to the Rogers IT department. The Navigatr development and likely the design was done by a third party contractor named Espial. You need to bend management's ear although since there is likely a contract between the two parties the support team will do only the minimum. One of the many reasons I hated using contracting firms

@rgottinger wrote:

There are definitely usability issues that is obvious but there is no point in sending directives to the Rogers IT department. The Navigatr development and likely the design was done by a third party contractor named Espial. You need to bend management's ear although since there is likely a contract between the two parties the support team will do only the minimum. One of the many reasons I hated using contracting firms

Dunno about all that, but I figure it cant hurt, The Idea Box guidelines do say "The most popular ideas, as selected by users, may be reviewed by Rogers for their business potential and viability. We will update users on the status of the most popular ideas and any product or business developments linked to the idea or its comments."