UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I had a problem with weak signal a couple of years ago and it ended up resulting in all of the coax throughout the house being replaced. Once that was done, everything was noticeably better.

gjdj
I Plan to Stick Around

Any news on how recording conflicts are handled?

Is there a screen you can go to that highlights conflicts?

By conflicts I mean you've set up three series to record, and each of them have an episode to record at the same time.  How does Navigatr let you know which two will record and which one won't?

How do you change series recording priority?

It would be useful if the channel and recording time were always visible when you check out a scheduled recording box.

Lastly, does anyone else find that there are tons of times where you press exit and you get kicked out of the PVR section entirely?

I'm not entirely sure when this happens, but it can be frustrating.

This is what has happened to me.  Scrolled down through several pages of recorded programs to a couple of record series boxes at the bottom.  I want to look at a couple of them in this area.  I click on one, get the info I need, and then press EXIT hoping to be taken back to the box listing with the item I just looked at highlighted.  Instead it kicks me out completely and I have to completely repeat the procedure of scrolling through pages.

I just find everything takes 5 times as long to do as under the old system.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have heard that it will still tell you this, but the concern at the moment for some is what happens when you have a prescheduled program in the same place and one of the older one comes back into place, possibly leading to conflicts.  Does it tell us this in any way - yes the date and time would be so useful - mentioned many, many times.

Not sure about setting priority - has anyone else with an NB2 run into this or could do some testing to help.  This one has been brought up just recently, along with yours now, but to date, I am not sure if anyone has given a good workout to test it and to document if there are issues and how to work with it.  It was simple in the past, but since you are not the first to report it, it must be causing issues - needs more exploration - any NB2 users out there want to take it on.

I sometimes feel like not only are we here on the board the beta testers, but we are also usability testers, documentors of workarounds, and often giving logical solutions to move forward.  And we get paid in nothing but compliments from the board, kudos, which are nice, we get respect, but we do it becausse we mostly like to solve problems, want to help, but we are just as frustrated and have gone through various levels of that frustration over time.

I hope someone can provide you the answer.  Or you could wait on tech support, but they probably don't have an answer, so nah, don't bother.

I could test this, but in my case I would have to do 9 recordings as I am on NB3.

And yes, much of this box is frustrating.  

Bruce

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@gjdj wrote:

Any news on how recording conflicts are handled?

Is there a screen you can go to that highlights conflicts?

By conflicts I mean you've set up three series to record, and each of them have an episode to record at the same time.  How does Navigatr let you know which two will record and which one won't?

How do you change series recording priority?

It would be useful if the channel and recording time were always visible when you check out a scheduled recording box.

Lastly, does anyone else find that there are tons of times where you press exit and you get kicked out of the PVR section entirely?

I'm not entirely sure when this happens, but it can be frustrating.

This is what has happened to me.  Scrolled down through several pages of recorded programs to a couple of record series boxes at the bottom.  I want to look at a couple of them in this area.  I click on one, get the info I need, and then press EXIT hoping to be taken back to the box listing with the item I just looked at highlighted.  Instead it kicks me out completely and I have to completely repeat the procedure of scrolling through pages.

I just find everything takes 5 times as long to do as under the old system.

Yes, we have been having this exit problem.  I think it is another thing to be looked at. In the old system, Exit would take you back to the previous screen.  In Navigatr, it works differently, and there needs to be a way of getting back to the previous screen, as you described.  The whole process of doing anything in Navigatr is just so much more laborious, and doesn't even make logical sense, a lot of the time.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, exit, like the info button can be unpredictable depending upon what you are doing.  Maybe if someone wants to take it on, they could do like has been done with the info key showing the different ways it operates in the three viewing features of live, pvr and on demand.

Maybe go through the feature set and show the differences in toggling a button, verus, backing out screens, versus exit keys.  There seems to be a huge lack of consistency in how the buttons and feature set of the guide operate in live tv versus PVR and on demand - and this inconsistency exists in many functions.

I suspect it lies in what the Espial video showed us - that there are about 4 different layers of our PVR's of hardware and software that have to interact with each  other and On Demand is one software feature set, PVR is another, basic input/output, like on off, cable versus tv, channel up and down in live tv are down at the Hardware level, been there unchanged for years, and then there is RTN, or the other RDK middle ware, and it doesn't seem that the integration and continuity and user ease of function has been dealt with very well at all.  I now acknowledge that there are probably market and business reasons for what happened, but boy I am getting tired of it all - but I am ranting again.

Hope a solution and understanding of the conflicts can be identified and provided to Rogers to clean it up.

Bruce

Bruce

Frustrated5
I Like it Here

My husband and I hate Navigator.

1.  Cannot get pertinent information without going into the selection.

2.  Cannot read entire title.

3.  Pictures take up a lot of room.

4.  Everything loads very slowly because of the pictures.

5.  We have whole home and two PVRs.  We can no longer see a separate listing of my husband's recordings and my recordings.  We may as well get rid of one PVR.  IMPORTANT!!!!

6.  It will only play or delete when it is in the right mood (full moon?) so my PVR is filling up because it is so difficult to get it to cooperate.

7. If something has been preempted, it used to be easy to follow along the course of what has been taped on a specific channel.  This is now very difficult if not impossible.

8. It takes many steps to do something that once happened quickly and easily.

9.  When I talk to tech support, I am told that if I simply undertood how to use it, things would be fine.  I do understand.  No amount of undertanding would help this mess.

I could list more but is there a point?  I have asked for someone to phone me with a solution but no one calls.

I am paying for services that I no longer receive.

Beelzebot
I've Been Here Awhile

Well, I've had Navigatr since last July and I HATE it every bit as much now as I did then. When it magically appeared last July, without warning, I had just returned from holiday and my recordings were all gone and none of my shows I was expecting to watch were there. I complained to Rogers and received no compensation for my lost recordings.  Then I spent hours working around all the bugs, lagginess, and needing  to reboot constantly. Watching tv on Rogers became so frustrating, I basically found other things to do. I'm the only one in the house who even watches cable tv anymore, so I cut service back to basic cable. When I found this forum a few months ago, I had hope that a new update was coming soon and maybe everything would be better. Well, I am completely underwhelmed with this new update. It's still slow, clumsy, unreliable, so lacking in ease of use and being able to manage recordings.  I have basically given up using Navigatr and use Anyplace TV on my desktop to try to manage my recordings, but that is far from perfect and only works on my phone half the time (it fails to load quite often). I have used PVRs from other providers and the amount of information and control you can have over your recordings as well as the speed is amazing in comparison. So I am tired of waiting and hoping for improvements and have concluded it's time to cut the cord after 30+ years of paying Rogers ever-increasing fees for ever-declining cable service. I've only stayed this long because I have excellent discounts, but the discounts will soon be done and so am I. I've already found better places to spend my entertainment dollars and time. Navigatr is the straw that broke this camel's back!

mdcjsps
I've Been Around

Yesterday, I posted concerns about the new NEXTBOX Navigator in an email to Rogers Support... see below.

Turns out, my concerns are very similar to ones posted back more than 6 months ago (see New Nextbox Navigator thread)

Happily, I did receive a very polite phone call from Rogers.

Yes, they had heard of my concerns and there were people like me who didn't like the new user interface but there were many that did.

She mentioned that they are always making improvements.  

I asked when my particular issues would be discussed.  She did not have a date for this.

Based on the 6 months of idleness on these issues, I can pretty well assume that no improvements are coming.

Dear Rogers IT,  the new interface is not an improvement to what I had. And I will be voting with my feet.

===========

Can I reset  my NEXT box to the old User Inferface ... Please.

The new NEXT user interface is pretty poor.

Here's what I liked about the old versus what the new interface does
1) It was faster ... and way faster to move around when looking at "recordings". I guess those useless images of what the recording is gets in the way of speed.
2) You are now mixing Recordings with ones that exist already and ones that are scheduled. (when you list sorted by most recent). The old way was simpler and less confusing. Don't assume that I am confused. Let me give you a specific example: A 'scheduled' recording is listed as "New" on the picture even though, on that day, the recording hasn't been made yet. Confusing is what I would describe this as ... actually, its more misleading.
3) When I looked, in the old version, for something to watch, I would sometimes choose based on the amount of time I wanted to spend. In the new system, you need to (a) scroll across/down to this (remember the slow speed I mentioned earlier), then (b) select it and (c) wait for the full description to show up. Now, don't assume that everything I record is a hour long - it isn't. Some are movies, some are british crime on PBS or TVO that last more than an hour.

And now a comment on the "more like this" feature.
4) Your "more like this" listing is hilarious. I had recorded E.O Wilson: Of Ants and Men. The "More like this" listing was (left to right): "Beeba Boys", "Scortch trials", "Minions", a "Mission impossible". What's even funnier, just prior to doing this, I had gone in "Search" using the alphabet listing. I typed in "AGX" and these same 4 listings, in exactly the same sequence, also appeared.
5) the"Guide" listing has changed. But not for the better. The text appears more separated however it also appears smaller. And, (a) the vertical timeline distorts the letters that it covers so that they are more illegible. And, at least on my flatscreen, the bottom listing is missing a small portion of the lettering making it harder to read.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@Frustrated5 wrote:

My husband and I hate Navigator.

1.  Cannot get pertinent information without going into the selection.

2.  Cannot read entire title.

3.  Pictures take up a lot of room.

4.  Everything loads very slowly because of the pictures.

5.  We have whole home and two PVRs.  We can no longer see a separate listing of my husband's recordings and my recordings.  We may as well get rid of one PVR.  IMPORTANT!!!!

6.  It will only play or delete when it is in the right mood (full moon?) so my PVR is filling up because it is so difficult to get it to cooperate.

7. If something has been preempted, it used to be easy to follow along the course of what has been taped on a specific channel.  This is now very difficult if not impossible.

8. It takes many steps to do something that once happened quickly and easily.

9.  When I talk to tech support, I am told that if I simply undertood how to use it, things would be fine.  I do understand.  No amount of undertanding would help this mess.

I could list more but is there a point?  I have asked for someone to phone me with a solution but no one calls.

I am paying for services that I no longer receive.

Congratulations on getting through to tech support.  I would rather talk directly to them than use this Forum, because the Forum doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere.  These problems have been mentioned over and over, and this thread is so long, but new people keep joining because the Navigatr issues continue.  If the tech dept really thinks that it is a matter of knowing how to use it, then all is lost, because then it will not be changed.  

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

There are definitely usability issues that is obvious but there is no point in sending directives to the Rogers IT department. The Navigatr development and likely the design was done by a third party contractor named Espial. You need to bend management's ear although since there is likely a contract between the two parties the support team will do only the minimum. One of the many reasons I hated using contracting firms