UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I'm pretty sure the mini-guide was there in RTN.  Most people just didn't use it.

I Plan to Stick Around

At least when Microsoft provides updates to my computer it tells me "updates were installed, click here for more details".  

With Navigatr updates you have to troll the forums, do detetective work, trial and error and guess what may or may not have happened to your PVR overnight.  I guess Rogers only knows how to notify us when there is a price increase, not when they experiment with your box.  I guess we're all not worthy enough to be kept up to date in a professional manner.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Microsoft does tell you when updates are installed but they don't ask you what you want when a new version of Windows or any Office product is developed which was the point. That is why the Start button disappeared in Windows 8 and reappeared in WIndows 10. They decided it was unecessary and were told by the masses that they were wrong. They listened to that but shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place/

I Plan to Stick Around

The question was asked if anyone could see anything that Navigatr improved.  Well, we can now set the brightness of the LED display!

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes...you are correct about Microsoft also not listening to it's customers.  My main point was that I think as Rogers (hopefully) fixes some of the problems, that we be informed of that.  I've lived with this "thing" since July and have to become a detective to know what is happening on a daily basis.  Rogers knows our email address and phone numbers.  Could they not provide a quick "we are sorry that our sleep function put your box in a coma and have now removed that feature"...and send it to us?   Or at THE VERY LEAST make sure their tech people know of the fix...  I should not have to troll the forums daily to find out if cc has been fixed or many of the other issues outstanding have been improved.  I shouldn't have to get my FAQ's here...that's Rogers job...not ours!

Microsoft - like most major software developers - _do_ spend a lot of time and effort into finding out what customers want/need. I worked in IBM's software lab for 12 years and we spent a lot of time on talking to users about their wants/needs.

Sometimes (witness the Start button fiasco) you still make mistakes. What differentiates the good companies from the bad is how they deal with the mistakes. MS fixed the issue. 

P.S. I'm a Mac user and no lover of MS - but to suggest that they deal with customers the way that Rogers do is to do them a significant disservice.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

OMG... I've been trying to use this new software for a week and am totally frustrated. It is VERY slow and VERY awkward to use. I'd go back in an instant to the old version given 1/2 a chance. Specifically, I can no longer stop recording and delete in one button. Now it takes 8 very slow buttons to get that job done. Also, I used to be able to edit how a series was recorded in one visit to the series. Now you have to modify every "scheduled" episode or cancel all of them and start over. Please fix this terrible interface asap or just let me go back to the old one...

And I worked with Microsoft as a development partner for one of the big Five banks on a Branch Network UI redevelopment effort with the first large scale .NET implementation and every day we as an organization had to remind the Microsoft team that they were working for us not the other way around. We did the legwork with our users and designed an app to service the branches. Input was welcome but in the end it was our decision how things would be done.  I do agree that this Navigatr issue has been mishandled from beginning to end

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Mediaman wrote:

What I would like to see is this, affter selecting LIST:

1) There should be a 'persistent' set filter links. just above the top row of images, or top of screen, for:
All   Recorded   Recording Now   Scheduled  Unwatched
These links would filter the list accordingly, and would always be visible regardless of what filter, if any, is in place.

2)  As well there should be two other 'persistent' sort links, jsut above the top row of images, or top of screen, for:
Alphabetic   Newest   Oldest

These links would sort the list accordingly, and would always be visible regardless of what filter or sort, if any, is in place.

Oh puh-leeze. You are talking logic and usability. And we are talking Rogers Smiley Sad 

I have to say that you have my sympathy for having been a test subject since July. We have only had it for a week and while it has usability issues, it has so far been very stable with not a single reboot during any time that we have been watching tv. Support isn't what it should be but when you hire outside firms to develop things for you this is what happens. Unless you have a contract in place that really punishes the contractor for problems, you get Navigatr. Outsourcing is argued to be cheaper but in the end, it hurts the reputation and the wallet as well.