UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@57 I think it depends upon time of day - sometimes, I get the call back feature, but in the evening, I often don't.

When it gives the option, I always use it.

And yes, I found that the workaround still works even on the new builds, but I have not done extensive testing at this point.

I use the closed captions to catch a phrase that I just couldn't figure out, and all the rewinding in the world doesn't help for any of us, and for those times that ambient noise levels are interfering with my ability to hear clearly.

This is why the ability to turn on and off from anywhere in the product is so critical to me.

Thanks for the feedback, Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, anyplace tv works, but never in my life did I think I was going to have to keep my laptop on, sitting on my coffee table - guess I could call it a coffee table decoration, but my wife hates it when we leave it there, so I leave it sitting under the couch, with the screen open, just pull it up and I leave anyplace tv up while it is on.

Maybe the future is a small tablet like remote with touch screen to control our TV.  I don't have a large touch screen phone (only a blackberry and I run the android version on it, but it is flakey, keeps crashing), and I don't have a tablet, so my multimedia 17" gaming laptop is my remote at times, but it is an extremely heavy remote for sure. Smiley Happy

There I have my humour back.  going for a walk, done with problems solving, complaining, and helping for the day.

Have a good day everybody.

And do enjoy your content, and try to get past the frustrations of the current versions that making the Navigaing experience so hard to do.  Maybe someday they will get this stuff dealt with.  Just in time for a new box and IPTV.  Don't think we will see a pvr 4K until this mess is cleaned up and can at least run on the next version box that is used by Cisco for 4K.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Contributor

Are there ANY new (good) features of Navigatr?

I asked this question yesterday, not as a joke but to seriously wonder why Rogers is so committed to this. I can't see any new features or actual enhancements over the previous system. Does ANYONE have a good point or two to make for Navigatr? Just wondering.

@Gdkitty

@OLDYELLR

@BS

@RogersHassam

@RogersMargaret

ANYONE? Please enlighten me.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike:

I actually asked that same very question of my wife yesterday because I know my view of the whole thing has become clouded by frustration, and I can only see the things that bug me, and once past those, I enjoy the same content I always saw.

It has been since July since I had the last one, so I can't even remember what the old one was like, but my wife and I together thought about it and came to the conclusion that if there are any improvements, which neither of us could come up with, we don't even remember what those improvements are - if I go back to the first post made on the original thread, I wrote the following that day - this was my wife's words, not mine.

"

My wife was just moving through the new navigator and has the following questions, concerns.

The first screens for the guide are fine, but the fonts are a bit small, even on a 46 inch TV. We are all getting old, let's not forget us.

In the section for listing and managing recordings, the boxes cut off the full names of the shows, don't show dates, would rather have option of old list style with all details right in one spot.

When looking at multiple shows, you have to go to each listed show recorded, but there is no reference to the date until you highlight the show. Then this highlighted information on the show is even smaller and I have almost perfect vision after my cataract surgury, and I can barely read it. My wife can't read it at all. You do have the date on the top right that is in a bigger font, but the show information is almost unreadable and my 24 year old daughter who just came in also comment that it is almost unreadable.

Is there an option for increasing font size and changing to a list view rather than the boxes on the list of the recordings page. Don't like the box feature or the way the contents view at all for the above reasons. See little or benefit for this change.

Otherwise, I am kind of indifferent to the new layout, but do like some features.  I will probably turn off the banner across the bottom off in settings. I can get the same information from the guide.

Yes, there is a bit of getting used to change, but some of this change seems to be change for the sake of change. I do like that it takes less clicking to move around though, it just the display formats and font sizes that are creating legitimate problems for my family."

This was our early comments - since then I have learned that there there is actually more clicking (I wasn't working with PVR at that point, just the guide, which I was and am still basically ok with - looking at the guide and changing the channel rather than clicking up or down channel which always had a lag and had that banner which I have never used.

So at this point, the only thing that I find useful is the pictures on the tiles as it does help me to know the shows, but the compromise related to using the tiles and all the clicks makes mean lean towards, get rid of it and go back to a basic list.

So basic answer, what is improved - nothing that doesn't compromise the experience or creates an interface that is not intuitive and full of workarounds.

Wish I could say that there is improvement, but as I said, I enjoy my content, it is just a bit of a nightmare, and unpredictable to get to the content, so any improvements that may actually be there, are lost because I can't get past all the problems, and I see this problems every time I watch TV, which since I am disabled and pretty much at home, is a lot, in particular PVR features. I have learned not to get angry everytime I see the issues as I watch my tv everyday, but sometimes like today, they are driving me nuts.

Any one else able to say what improvements there are - I actually do want to know because this poster and myself can't seem to find them.

And even if I could have a hint of where they are taking us, I could live with the issues better.  I do want an improved viewing experience, so please, let us know  how you plan to take us there.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally I dont mind it.. but i deal with change pretty easily.  Not everyone does.

I dont mind the tiles (well still needs some tweeks to fix a few things).. and that the scheduled stuff is in each tile for the show.  But i also have the NB3, and with 8 tuners.. worrying about too many things scheduled, etc.. really never bothered me, so rarely looked at it before.  To know to look at the shedule for program X is under the Program X folder.. works for me.

But again, that is ME.  I am not everyone.

My understanding mostly on some of the change or why.. (again, this is not OFFICAL, i dont work for rogers.. its just info i have read, etc)

Most of the boxes rogers currently have are Cisco.. and the guides were done in accordance with cisco.
Cisco sold off its box part of its company to Technicolor.  Technicolor is who makes the new 4k box.

With this change.. there is a different developer.. Espial is the name i beleive (sorry if spelling is wrong)

THey are the one who has made this guide.
With rogers wanting to move forward with NEW stuff... the 4k and that box with a netflix connectivity... IPTV on the horizon..  Programming the old guide to do so probably wouldnt be possible. (at least without the devs anymore).. something new may have had to be made.

Now.. all that being said.. doesnt mean that this one is RIGHT, is the way to go, etc.
My guess, is that it was pitched as 'the next best thing since sliced bread'.. and someone beleived it.
Ontop of, like most rogers software, being pushed out too early before was fully tested for ALL scenarios.

I personally beleive it only should have been pushed to the NB3s, as they are the most hardware capable for it, and more IPTV ready, etc, the 4k boxes, and the HD boxes for those with the prior & whole home.
BUT.. i understand its easier to support when MORE all on one platform.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS

I'm with you, Bruce. Other than the overall "look" of the thing, which is arguably a bit more 'modern-looking' interface (and even that is a matter for very personal preference) I cannot (yet....) find one single thing that the new system lets me do that the old one didn't.

Yet I can find some things it no longer does at all, and lots of things that it still does but in a MORE, not less, cumbersome way.

I still have to wonder then, why did Rogers even embark on this project? What were they trying to fix? Did their license for the old system expire and they had to move on? Who forced them to go this route? Surely even Rogers execs and developers, once they get past the company party line and rhetoric are not all stupid and can't all be blind to the fact that this is NOT a real upgrade....  

So I keep asking myself WHY??  But no one can (or will) answer that burning question.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty

Your answer and my post crossed paths Smiley Happy

Thanks for at least a bit of (unofficial) insight as to why we have moved in this unfortunate direction. Even if Rogers came out and said as much officially many of us might understand better. As it stands now, most of us just think they are blind, uncaring and uncommunicative - not attributes of a communications-based industry leader.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I 110% agre Smiley Happy

Though they still can communicate everything until they are blue in the face.. and some? (a far number of) people will either still not understand what is going on, ignore it, etc...
(just going off of things like the analog cut off..  they sent out secific mailings.. and put it in just about every bill for over TWO years.. and yet there were people who were blindsided by it, or didnt understand the impact, etc).

There is a reason why i DONT run/own a big company... too much.. stuff (cant say the other words here) to deal with.
Would never want to be in the shoes to make any decisions like that efecting customers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The new update is really bad.   The PVR menu is horrible.  Prior to the update all my recordings could be organized into folders for each show, making it really easy to find my show (by title).  This also made it easier to delete the entire folder.  Since the update, not only does it take longer to load the menu (being that graphics need to be loaded vs. just text), but all the shows are individually displayed versus being organized into folders.  It takes much longer to find the show I want as I have to go through the entire list, and don't even get me started on trying to delete anything.

Please either go back to the previous recording menus (I am very literate and don't need graphics) or add the option of organizing everything into folders and allow us to select multiple items for deletion rather than having me to delete them individually.

I Plan to Stick Around

@DrMike wrote:

Are there ANY new (good) features of Navigatr?

I asked this question yesterday, not as a joke but to seriously wonder why Rogers is so committed to this. I can't see any new features or actual enhancements over the previous system. Does ANYONE have a good point or two to make for Navigatr? Just wondering.

@Gdkitty

@OLDYELLR

@BS

@RogersHassam

@RogersMargaret

ANYONE? Please enlighten me.

It has been reported that you can now hide On Demand channels, which should enable channel surfing again. But for those of us with blank Settings screens, we can't take advantage of it.