UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

navigatr was forced on me this week. I could fill pages with all the ways it's harder to use than the previous version, can't find a single good thing about it. It was obviously not designed for customers who record a lot of shows. Why can't we choose to keep the old version? 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

What I want to know from you poor souls working for Rogers is the location of the list of  'scheduled' recordings? I want to see the old list of programs that are scheduled to tape, not already taped.  Where is it?

Thanks.

@User14:  I'm not with Rogers, but there are several options:

1. In the list of "recordings" find the programme tile you're interested in, click on the tile, scroll up to "scheduled" and you'll see them there.  That programme (tile) is likely in one of two places - near the bottom of the list if there are no new recordings of the programme, or near the top of the list if there is a recent recording.

2. When in the list of recordings click on "Filter" (the red C at the top right). Scroll down to "Show all recordings" and click the right arrow, you can then select scheduled recordings. (Isn't that intuitive?  😉 )

3. Use AnyPlace Web for computer, or the App for tablet or phone.  The lists are still separate there.

Useful post, please read:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Thanks for the tips. I have 94 recorded programs and I find scrolling down to the Scheduled recordings at the bottom of Recorded Programs is faster. I tried #2, but just so everyone knows, you have to save the "scheduled" filter (more buttons to press) and all you see is what you have scheduled to tape. Pretty much the "old" scheduled list.  To get all your recorded programs back on the list however, you have to go back to the filter and select Show all Recordings and Save again. (More buttons to press and more time lost).  

- Intuitive???   I am glad everyone in this forum has a sense of humour! 

I hate to ask, but can you post a separate thread with all your Navigatr Tips and Tricks? You can then update it without all the extraneous posts cluttering the info.  I have read nearly 200 posts trying to find solutions but this community forum structure isn't intuitive at all in trying to find answers. I would not have found your Navigatr tips if you didn't post the link. 

I also saw a post by gdkitty indicating he was going to post some tips too. He also said Rogers doesn't listen to the Resident Experts (REs) for beta testing, so perhaps the REs need to post tips and tricks for the Navigatr in one spot to help the rest of us. Even if a non-geek finds a neat function they could post it there too.  

Unfortunately, asking Rogers to do something useful like this would take weeks or months just to get an acknowledgement.  The sad part of all this is that none of the REs are getting paid by Rogers.  FWIW.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User14 wrote:
I hate to ask, but can you post a separate thread with all your Navigatr Tips and Tricks?

Here's a link that contains summary, tips, etc:   I suppose I could make this into one long post when I have a lot of time. The link already represents many hours of my (unpaid) time.  If I posted this elsewhere, I'm sure Rogers' mods would very likely move the post to this thread.  😉

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I've Been Around

I hate the new Navigatr.  It is clunky, slow and difficult to get basic details.

I would like to be able to view lists of my recordings and schedules that displays basic info such as date and channel without the space wasting pictures.

The old view was far more understandable and easy to follow.

I've Been Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/Jan

After Rogers update to Navigatr update both Cisco PVR and HD box ( 1 of 2) do not show Settings Menu options.  One of the Cisco 4642 HD boxes does show the settings menu properly.  Power cycling the other Cisco HD  and PVR box does not make any difference.

Feature was present prior to Rogers rolling out the Navigatr update.  

I used to have to force the settings to 1080i on the boxes.  These boxes appeared to default to some other setting after some event which caused them to reset.  Both TVs are 3 or less years old, are full 1080p devices and connected via HDMI.  One is a name brand  Samsung and the other is what I suppose some might call "off-brand"  Sharp AQUOS, because it is not supported in Canada anymore.  

I have not found any Rogers FAQ or Support information for this Navigatr issue.   What is the fix for this issue? 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Apparently Rogers pushed out another update maybe Wednesday night?

The _only_ good thing about Naviagtr on my NB3 was that (for the most part) when you pushed a button things happened pretty quickly. Not any more.

Last night to select a specific program to watch took me over 10 minutes to set it up. Push the bitton - nothing happens - OK the box missed it so push again. Now the highlight shows on tile 2 - press select. It selects Tile 3 becuase, apparently, under the covers it had seen both button pushes but taken so long to do so that it hadn't updated the screen. As I say it took close to 10 minutes of steadily slowing down button pushes before I eventually managed to get to watch what I wanted. Deleting the program after watching it? Now that was fun! I won't go into detail but let's just say it took a very long time - so long that at one point it switched back to live TV in between its own deletion activities!

Thank you Rogers - you have so "improved" my TV watching experience that I'm finding myself watching more and more Netflix to reduce my frustration levels.

To the moderators - the one message I would love you to relay to your management (over and above to fix this mess) is this: Is is too much to ask that a simple apology be sent to those of us who have been suffering this since July? You know who we are, you know you screwed up by sending out software that any professional developer would be ashamed to even label an Alpha version. Yet nothing. No email. No offer of even a partial refund for the lost functionality. Nothing. Zilch. Rien. Your silence speaks volumes for your utter contempt for your customer base. 

I'm an Enthusiast

I only hope that when the day comes when we have all reached enlightenment and are content with the marvels of Navigatr some git superior mind doesn't decide it's time to re-org the menus and lists to make them even more readable. Why meddle with perfection?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

New issue!

Had the new and not improved Navigatr for about a week.

I echo all the feedback already provided here.

Totally a step backwards, especially for listing recorded/scheduled shows!

Yesterday noticed that the REC light was ON, on the NB3 when nothing should be recording.  Seemed to be on all day.  Last night, after recording a show I wanted, I decided it was time to reset the box.  Unfortunately, the Settings menu was not working, so I has to power cycle.  When the NB3 booted up, LIST showed that the PVR was at 65%, when it should have been around 45%.  After a bit of poking around I discovered that it recorded 1575 minutes (little over 26 hours) of The Big Bang Theory, starting Thur night at 8:00 untile a little past 10:00 on Friday when I power cycled it.  This never happened with the RTN guide.

I tried to watch the half hour show, but it kicked me out after about 10 min into the show.  I had to restart the show and FF to the part we were at, but during the FF'ing, when it reached the same spot it kicked us out again.

Decided to delete the 26 hour episode, as it was not watchable, and hope it was on ROD.

After deleting the episode the PVR utilization dropped back to about 45%.

I Plan to Stick Around

@JonBoy49 wrote:

Apparently Rogers pushed out another update maybe Wednesday night?

The _only_ good thing about Naviagtr on my NB3 was that (for the most part) when you pushed a button things happened pretty quickly. Not any more.

Last night to select a specific program to watch took me over 10 minutes to set it up. Push the bitton - nothing happens - OK the box missed it so push again. Now the highlight shows on tile 2 - press select. It selects Tile 3 becuase, apparently, under the covers it had seen both button pushes but taken so long to do so that it hadn't updated the screen. As I say it took close to 10 minutes of steadily slowing down button pushes before I eventually managed to get to watch what I wanted. Deleting the program after watching it? Now that was fun! I won't go into detail but let's just say it took a very long time - so long that at one point it switched back to live TV in between its own deletion activities!

Thank you Rogers - you have so "improved" my TV watching experience that I'm finding myself watching more and more Netflix to reduce my frustration levels.

To the moderators - the one message I would love you to relay to your management (over and above to fix this mess) is this: Is is too much to ask that a simple apology be sent to those of us who have been suffering this since July? You know who we are, you know you screwed up by sending out software that any professional developer would be ashamed to even label an Alpha version. Yet nothing. No email. No offer of even a partial refund for the lost functionality. Nothing. Zilch. Rien. Your silence speaks volumes for your utter contempt for your customer base. 

I see this on an almost weekly basis (as do others) and the cure appears to be rebooting the box from the Settings/Troubleshooting menu (at the first sign of symptoms).

Sort of reminds me of the Windows 95/98/ME era where you wouldn't dare going more than a week without rebooting.

Hey, maybe that's it ... the folks at Espial tried to put Windows 8 Tiles on top of Windows ME and Navigatr was born.

Cheers

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty Yes, we have had runaway recordings on the nextbox 3 before the rollout, and a few after the rollout - so this may not be a Navigtr issue, it may be an issue in the Cisco and Vidoscape side of things - It appears that Videoscape provides the integration in the setbox using RTN, while the ANT, now Espial provides customization to the RTN layer.

So yes, not a new issue - so who knows where this "bug" exists and I think noone has been able to identify how to replicate it which makes almost impossible to debug. Yes, I know anything can eventually be debugged, but since the programmers can't look at the immediate state of memory storage, caches, and logged debug routines, since it is not predictable, it will be a tough one to find.

On a basic level, I don't know why they don't implement a log and build in the capacity to pull the log back to their end if we call in with an issue.  Even the simplest of routers can have an ongoing log, and our computers and other devices have logs that often can be turned off, but windows has crash logs - why not at least a crash log to record the current state of the box on a reboot.

But doesn't appear that logs don't appear to exist on this boxes - there are standards for crash logs for IPTV (can find these online), but I could not locate any information on log tracking for QAM based set top boxes.

Bruce