UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Oddly enough, it still isn't possible to watch a scheduled recording from the beginning while the balance is being recorded, as per the selected settings WHEN THE SERIES HAS BEEN SCHEDULED TO RECORD.  It indeed can be done if a single show was scheduled to record (begin watching 15 mins into the program while recording continues), but for a very strange reason, this is NOT the case if that same show is part of a series scheduled to record.  Just tested this.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

Since there are a huge number of posts in the various Navigatr threads, I developed the following summary posts which should prove helpful for those recently infected with Navigatr.   These posts address many, but not all, of the recent questions from those new to Navigatr.

Summary of Navigatr Issues, Post 562:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Navigatr Tips, Post 563:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

CC Tip and "Exit" tip, Post 584:

Additional recent info:

Series scheduled recordings will appear in the “tiles” near the top of the “recorded” list if one of the series episodes has been recorded. You’ll need to click on the tile and click the “scheduled” tab.

Series recordings will typically be in one tile, while any individual recordings will have their own tile. (no folders like before)

To see a programme that is currently recording, go to the relevant tile, probably near the top of the list, click scheduled tab in the tile and it should be there to watch.

With Navigatr, it’s extremely difficult to find conflicting recordings (perhaps the AnyPlace/App might help). You may wish to consider getting a 9865/NB3.

There is no way to revert to the previous (RTN) firmware or to stop Navigatr from being downloaded to your NextBox(s) (4642, 8642, 9865).

Several people have mentioned that the composite video output has been copy protected and cannot be recorded (onto say a DVD recorder or VCR). Also, some people have mentioned that they can’t even connect composite (Yellow cable) video to their TV. (Composite, not component video)

Great summary.  How about editing to include issues still not resolved, from the other thread?  At a minimum, a pointer to the thread, or even better, a copy and paste of the relevant outstanding issues. (http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am Pretty sure it can?

My wife has 'Curse of oak island' set as a series on our 9865.

She was able to go in and start watching it last night, before it finished.  Not sure HOW far into it, it was when she started it.. but it was before it finished.
She went into the oak island folder, over on the sheduled tab inside, showed the one that was recording (as per the series recording, not manual) and selected to watch it.

(I am seriously wondering.. if there is two or even 3 versions of it out there now.. the 1.0 which maybe not everyone has been upgraded to 2.0.. and even at that.... there are people who said they JUST got it... but it sounds like there is DIFFERENCES.. people saying that recordings and shedules in ONE list (one folder, yes).. which it shouldnt be, should be the two tabs.    Unless there is a classic/modern view like on the old guide?? Maybe that changes the way its viewed?)

I will test this out myself again tonight to confirm.

I Plan to Stick Around

@1945mdh wrote:

There is a "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the main rogers.com web page.

I used it to submit a comment on Navigatrr and got a telephone reply the next day from a Rogers minion.

I tried that earlier this week and I'm still waiting for my call back.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, the problem with viewing recordings which are still in progress has been resolved. While I think the method might have been more intuitive (one doesn't watch a "scheduled" but rather a "recorded" - except in this case - at least it works. It was a bit more difficult to locate when a series was scheduled to record, but it's there and doable.
I Plan to Stick Around

Now if Rogers would just "fix" the total absence of closed captioning "On Demand" viewing via "Anywhere TV" so I can get cc when I use my computer to watch while using my treadmill, that would be great. 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Gdkitty or resident expert or what ever you call your self...stop with the nerdy IT terms and respond to the concerns we have.

1. The Navigator is not faster. Too many sub menus to get to what you want

2. No info on date and channel of what you have you recorded

3. You could easily erased a series without a lot of problems

4. Easier before to use the "Green List" button to call up recorded and then hit it again to call up scheduled, NOW with N'r you have to go into "Sort filter"

5. If you want to get cc captions it is hidden in the "info" button you push! Have to hit "more" then it is shown and you have to scroll down to find it and the process is slow...and it's longer!! AND to get rid of it you have to go through the same rigamarol!!

6 Your "if you like this" associated pictorial icons of what you recorded have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU JUST RECORDED!!!

7. Your fancy pictorial icons of what you recorded don't have any other info except about the program. No date no channel as it was before so you can go back to find where and when you recorded it.

8. With the previous recorded list or scheduled recordings everything was in a clear one frame selection that you could navigate to.

9. Previously you could more easily select how you wanted to look through your recorded, and scheduled recordings by time or alphabetical order. JUST hit the "List" button once or twice and scroll across to what you want.

10. Navigatr is SLOW to respond to button pushing!! I have an 8642HD and Navigatr is painfully slow.

ANSWER THE CONCERNS!!!😤

I Plan to Stick Around

@mike017 wrote:

The new interface is horrible enough but why did they limit the features during playback of recorded shows this thing is just stupid why did they take away the ability to check info on a show you're watching or limit all the controls in general so much. I know everyone says they're fed up but I honestly think this Navigator update is the final straw that sends me to Bell for my TV internet phone mobile etc

I'm with you on that one.  It's on my list of things to do today to call Bell.  The ONLY thing I like about Rogers is their PVR can record up to 8 shows at once so I never have to worry about scheduling conflicts.  But with the new interface, I can barely figure out how to watch what I want, so it's almost moot.  Not to mention the stress Rogers has put me under by inflicting this monstrosity on us.  ...that and our comments are being moved, edited and deleted by the forum police so we can't even voice our frustration.

I'm all for companies making mistakes, but it is the arrogance that this is good for us and we just need to get used to it is what really burns me.  If they would only say:  yes we are listening; yes we realize there are issues and we are working on A, B and D and will have that fixed in <timeframe>; and yes we will consult our customers with focus groups moving forward.  It would take that to restore my faith in Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

This whole thing is beginning to smell fishy to me.  I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but I just can't believe any people could be this incompetent, nor that a company would continue to insist on rolling out such a terrible product.  Could there be some reason we're not seeing?  Could Rogers be planning an upgrade that puts the "o" back into Navigator (like in the CEO's report) but that people will have to pay for?  Or could it somehow be related to the new skinny (but still much too fat) basic? Or is my frustration getting the better of me?

I Plan to Stick Around

@sheabo wrote:

My main concern with this new Navigator is that you can't watch programs that are being recorded unless you have pressed the record button at the beginning of the program. For instance if you schedule  to PVR a football game because you're going to be late, you can't start watching it from the beginning when you arrive home. It will not allow you to watch until the recording is completed. This sucks and so does the new Navigator.

Maybe there are different ways of setting up a program to record and that is yeilding different results, but I have tested this twice:  once with a single program and once with a series.  In both cases I was able to watch the program while it was recording.

Another thought is that there may be different versions of the fw we have installed.  Not sure how to tell what we have.