UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Initially the captioning was a collection of nonsense letters, but it is now readable on recorded shows. However, no captioning available "On Demand" when viewed on a computer via "Everywhere" , though the show is captioned and captions are available "On Demand" viewed on the TV. Sorry: I don't dare fiddle with on/off captioning for fear of losing the captioning I currently have and need.
I Plan to Stick Around

That problem with space, resulting in truncation is increasingly common in such "upgrades" . . . and is absolutely ridiculous!
I've Been Around

Thank you for helping me with the same problem.

I've Been Around

The Navigatr does not jump to the program that has been marked with reminder

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure I buy the research piece.   There are a lot of user interface/user experience (UI/UX) issues that would easily be found through testing.

Some examples I see are:

-Confusion over how to watch a recording in progress, from the begining.

-Confusion over the combination of both recorded and future/schedule recordings in the same place.

-A screen change banner that takes up excessive screen real estate.

-Offering up the latest recording in a series first, when users would start watching from the oldest.   (No sort offered either.)

-Grey recording boxes that don't offer up enough space to view most of the title, so similarlly-titled records appear the same.

-Empty grey recording boxes.  (A TV show icon would be great, but is not there.)

-A FF/REW banner that now blocks a portion of the screen in sports recordings where you'd see the score - some people FF through a game and only watch as the score changes.

-The inability to filter out scheduled recordings from the list of boxes for recordings.   (Only filter option is ALL or Scheduled, not just RECORDED.)

...and this is just off the top of my head.

While there are always corner cases, and oddball one-off usage scenarios that get messed up or missed, these are all very common, and should have come to the surface during testing.

I Plan to Stick Around

Great tips. These should be listed under the useability testing that should have been done before Navigatr was released. I have also started to use the Rogers Anyplace App to view Recorded and scheduled as it is way easier. I am still waiting on a solution to remove the rolling banner in the top left when I fast forward a soccer game. It overlays the score and I can never tell when a goal is scored.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure when i will have the time.. (very busy this weekend).. but i have it in my head, to write up a HOW TO guide sort of for every screen 😛  Maybe will help some people transition.

Like compared to the original design/videos
https://youtu.be/MlyRE0J2eSs
Mine at least is very different.. the v2.0 one i guess?   Like inside the tile for the show.. its broken down a little better.. with the SUB tabs for your RECORDED / SHEDULED.

Not easy to do 'screenshots' off the TV, but may try photos for the guide?

1 - At least this has been figured out.  Not quite the same as before, i think that is where the confusion is.  One in progress of recording, showed up in 'recorded' even though it wasnt done and could be started from there.  Since its still recording, its in the 'scheduled' tab for that show.. but can be started to watched from there

2 - At least they are TABED in that same folder.. from all the peoples explantions, i thought it woudl be all in one just straight LIST, which would be confusing.

3 - The mini guide which shows up? Yeah.. not sure why THAT comes up.. the basic info banner like before, maybe? But that is overkill on a channel change.

4 - I think the old guide was this way too? (unless you went to the show all recordings by date view) unless i am wrong... something a LONG time needing fixing.

5/6 - The grey boxes.. SHOULD populate with the show 'box art'  at least for anything current, etc.  It took 3/4 of a day on my end, but almost all my boxes have box art now. (and no longer show the text... so possibly the text was generally a 2nd thought for size, etc.. as it NORMALLY would be covered over).  Only boxes which do not have box art, are ones that have no content (no recordings) and have no upcoming sheduled recordings.. likely since they have nothing direct to access yet.. it is not quite sure what to fill with?  I dont mind the icons that much personally (but i may be in the minority), but my bigest peeve, is that if you have the same show (lets say CSI:Cyber) and end up recording it on its lower and higher channel.. it will drop you TWO different tiles for the same show.  I would much prefer, that they are grouped together under the SAME tile.. but with a channel number or something on the description.  (my guess, is the tiles are based around the Recording/Schedule.. and are therefore a 'different' due to seperate channels, etc... a setting of 'record this show, any time, any channel' might result with them all in the same folder?)

7 - My ff/rw banner is near the bottom, a skinny line.  (maybe 1/4 the way up).  It still might cover over stuff, but a little less than the old guide one.... is not most sports stuff, the score up in the top? (i really only watch the ocasional hockey.. where its usually up there... i could be wrong though about others)

I Plan to Stick Around

Great Tips, but these are really useability issues that should have been addressed before the software was released. The fact that we cannot go back to the previous designj is annoying. I went through the same thing with Windows 10. It gave visual tile lists instead of a simple text list and I ended up going back to Win7, at least that option was there. Also these forums are for the community to help each other so Tips are excellent but we also need a vehicle to provide feedback to Rogers that this rollout is unacceptable. Does anyone know of that process.

I Plan to Stick Around

There is a "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the main rogers.com web page.

I used it to submit a comment on Navigatrr and got a telephone reply the next day from a Rogers minion.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my fingures crossed and post what happens.