UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just really interested in how designs like this are developed and what customer feedback is used in the process. Is there a way for us to get involved ahead of time? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as we know.. other than maybe a small user group or something.. nothing Smiley Sad

That is one thing that we here have asked for, for quite a while.
A VOULENTEER beta group, for things like that.

There would obviously have to have NDA's, etc in place.

But give REAL WORLD users a chance to use what they normally do, with the new device/hardware/software... and possibly find thing that OBVIOUSLY rogers is not seeing, noticing, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That IS a very good question!!!

Especially users on an NB2, this may come into play with only 2 recordings.

When you try a 3rd, assuming it just says there is a conflict.. but not where/what?

If not.. that SHOULD be an option at least.. at MIN, show what the conficts are.. so you could at least go to those folders.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carlorobazza wrote:

1. How do you turn on Closed Captioning?

5. How do you get rid of the channel/show name/time display at the top of the screen when fast forwarding.

1. See post 363 of this thread, link below.  By using the "up" button it reduces the number of clicks compared to "down" when in (some of) the menus. 

Tip:  One workaround mentioned elsewhere is to invoke CC on live TV, go into Settings for CC and select "T1" as the type of CC. T1 is rarely used and CC will (probably) not show. When you want to see CC in your recordings, you can press "Settings - CC - CC1".  When you want to "turn off" CC, go to Settings - CC - T1.  Still kludgy, but a lot fewer clicks and can be done without leaving your recording

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

5. Easy, hit the "Exit" button, just like on RTN. 

Tip:  If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW.

Highlighted

Saw a suggestion somewhere about informing Rogers of our opinions of the new Navigator. Thought I'd share what I sent and hopefully encourage others to voice their option through Rogers' Contact us. FYI, it is strange to reply to carlorobazza's posting to get this into this "massive" article but guess it makes Rogers community support life easier (not sure how I'm supposed to search a 50+ page discussion for information I need Smiley Wink ).

Going to add my voice to the many you are obviously receiving about the new navigator. First, being in systems development I know there is always a learning curve, a getting used to period for any new interface. You have to learn where to find things.

In the case with the new Navigator/guide many changes were made that a) lost functionality that we had before and used b) made it overall less intuitive for the more technically challenged like my wife and c) made it more difficult to use. For example:

a) the obvious miss on closed captioning for record programs

b) the use of picture tiles which confuse the interface, obfuscate the information and remove the ability to see a set of all programs for adjusting our schedules.

c) the interface is too big for one of my large HDTV screens.

d) dead programs (no longer broadcast) which were setup as a series recording are not front in center of the main screen. Trying to get rid of these, if there are multiple is a lot of work (find, delete, get sent to top of list, find next, etc.)

e) the picture tiles makes it harder to see what programs we have recorded and which ones we would like to watch right now. The list made it easier to page through the programs sets we had recorded and decided which to start with

f) the new system keeps the old behaviour of showing most recent episode at the top of the list (wouldn't it make more sense to be oldest episode on top as that is probably what we'll watch first). It adds to that the increase information with the show title, highlighting in, and obfuscating/hiding the other shows.

There is more I could say but we've only had this for a day or so. I'm just disappointed that Rogers continues to make changes like with without any apparent consultation with the users on what we need the most.

@Gdkitty wrote:

That IS a very good question!!!

Especially users on an NB2, this may come into play with only 2 recordings.

When you try a 3rd, assuming it just says there is a conflict.. but not where/what?

If not.. that SHOULD be an option at least.. at MIN, show what the conficts are.. so you could at least go to those folders.

I'm assuming this is in reply to my question about conflicting entries. Tough to tell when all of the posts get mashed together.

If I get a chance I'll try to find out - I'd rather know before it happens.

@57 wrote:

5. Easy, hit the "Exit" button, just like on RTN. 

Tip:  If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW.

Nice tip about the Harmony - I'll have to do it. But not ideal to have to program around their systems as it can change.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ha, what a smozzle.
Can anyone say "New Coke!!!!"

Please bring back the old features!!!!

I Plan to Stick Around

Well said, @DragonsOfWine.  Sadly, I don't think Rogers is listening.  I'm patiently awaiting my call back from the Office of the President from the feedback I wrote.

I'm a Regular

What is wrong with the people working at rogers, this navigatr is the worst thing ever, honestly there's no point in even having a PVR anymore with this since everything is grouped by show not chronologically and you can't see what is programed to record in the future. If this is what the new system is going to be like from now on then I guess it's time to drop all rogers bundles and switch providers to bell or just get Netflicks and stream TV since having Rogers cable (and the bundled products with it) is a complete waste now.