UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JEL
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Maybe Rogers should just fix the many problems before continuing to roll this out to more victims.  Doesn't make sense that every customer should have to log in to community forums to find out how to work around the worst of the inadequacies.

SavvyChimp
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree, I would say the lists that 57 posts are very informative and constructive.

lamlyn
I've Been Here Awhile

Just got the new navigator and at first the guide is appealing.  The look of the recording is app like and not convenient at all.  You see those huge icons that you have to go one by one.  As far as the functionality of the guide, wow we are going backward in time.  How come in the filter to see your recordings you only have the option of 1) recent or alphabetically and 2) view scheduled recording or all recordings?  Shouldn't you have the options to see only see your recordings as an option?  Why mixed them all together?  Scrolling up and down no longer works amongst other options.

I like the old one much better as it was a lot more user friendly and the functionality worked good.  Please bring back the old one.  Maybe more testing should of been done before deploying this new Navigator because a lot of the complaints with the navigator in 2015 are still here in 2016. 

lamlyn
I've Been Here Awhile

Just got the new navigator and at first glance the guide is appealing. The look of the recording is app like tiles and not convenient at all. You see those huge tiles that you have to go one by one. As far as the functionality of the guide, wow we are going backward in time. How come in the filter in order to see your recordings you only have the option of 1) recent or alphabetically and 2) view scheduled recording or all recordings? Shouldn't you be able to see only see your recordings as an option? Why mixed them all together? Scrolling up and down no longer works amongst other options.

I like the old one much better as it was a lot more user friendly and the functionality worked good. Please bring back the old one as it was not broken. Maybe more testing should of been done before deploying this new Navigator because a lot of the complaints with the navigator in 2015 are still here in 2016.

carlorobazza
I'm Here A Lot

Dear Rogers,

I've looked through your Navigatr FAQ and also the help forums. Did you happen to consult the forums to find the ACTUAL list of FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (hint: that is what FAQ is short for).

For example,

1. How do you turn on Closed Captioning? That's a big question now with the new guide. I managed to find the convoluted method you have implemented. By they way, it's even more convoluted if you're watching a recorded program. Here's the scenario:

I'm watching a show and I couldn't understand what someone just said. I have to:

• stop the program
  • go back to live TV
  • hit info
  • scroll down to "More"
  • scroll down to "Turn CC On"
  • exit 
  • go back to what used to be a "list" but is now a grouping of pictures
  • find the picture for the show I was watching
  • click on it
  • select resume
  • rewind a bit
  • press play
  • hit exit to get rid of the screen display that blocks the closed captioning
  • read the text
  • then go back and do it ALL A-Freak'n-GAIN to turn it off!!!

2. How can I get the list back to just text instead of the picture tiles? I don't mind that you added that feature. I'm sure there may be some people out there that like it, but WHY, oh WHY did you remove a perfectly functional feature?

3. How can I see JUST my recorded shows. You had two options before that were very simple: hit list to see the recorded shows and hit list again to see the scheduled recordings. Simple! Now you have two options: hit list to see a bunch of tiles that you have to open to see the list of recorded and scheduled shows, or go through the menu system to set the list up to only show the scheduled recordings? Why not have a 3rd option. ONLY SHOW RECORDED SHOWS!!!

4. If you absolutely MUST use the picture tiles in the list, display the show name below the tile.

5. How do you get rid of the channel/show name/time display at the top of the screen when fast forwarding. Hint: We already know what we're watching. It makes it nearly impossible to fast foward through a hockey game to when the score changes... BECAUSE YOU CAN"T SEE IT BECAUSE IT'S HIDDEN

6. After fast forwarding a show and pressing play, remove the screen display immediately. The 7 seconds or so it takes for it to clear is way too long.

7. Did you get any REAL users to provide feedback during the design / testing phase or did you just get the marketing department that came up with the crazy "enhancements" to provide the feedback?

I hope you are listening, Rogers.

Again, in order for you to answer FAQs, you have to do a bit of research to see what the Frequently Asked Questions are.

DragonsOfWine
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm posting this as a separate thread and let the Rogers minions move it to where they feel it is appropriate. Not sure which of the Navigator chains this is best in and really don't want to reply to someone else's question with a new question.

Anyway.

Pre-"new" navigator we could look at a list of shows (all different) to see which ones were overlapping. Useful on my NB 2 - less of a need on the NB 3.

With the new Navigator putting both under the program/show itself how does it show you what other programs the latest one conflicts with?

DragonsOfWine
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just really interested in how designs like this are developed and what customer feedback is used in the process. Is there a way for us to get involved ahead of time? 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as we know.. other than maybe a small user group or something.. nothing 😞

That is one thing that we here have asked for, for quite a while.
A VOULENTEER beta group, for things like that.

There would obviously have to have NDA's, etc in place.

But give REAL WORLD users a chance to use what they normally do, with the new device/hardware/software... and possibly find thing that OBVIOUSLY rogers is not seeing, noticing, etc.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That IS a very good question!!!

Especially users on an NB2, this may come into play with only 2 recordings.

When you try a 3rd, assuming it just says there is a conflict.. but not where/what?

If not.. that SHOULD be an option at least.. at MIN, show what the conficts are.. so you could at least go to those folders.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carlorobazza wrote:

1. How do you turn on Closed Captioning?

5. How do you get rid of the channel/show name/time display at the top of the screen when fast forwarding.

1. See post 363 of this thread, link below.  By using the "up" button it reduces the number of clicks compared to "down" when in (some of) the menus. 

Tip:  One workaround mentioned elsewhere is to invoke CC on live TV, go into Settings for CC and select "T1" as the type of CC. T1 is rarely used and CC will (probably) not show. When you want to see CC in your recordings, you can press "Settings - CC - CC1".  When you want to "turn off" CC, go to Settings - CC - T1.  Still kludgy, but a lot fewer clicks and can be done without leaving your recording

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

5. Easy, hit the "Exit" button, just like on RTN. 

Tip:  If you have a Harmony, or similar, remote you can programme a macro that hits the "exit" key after pressing say "Play", or "FF", or the 10-second skip back keys. This will get rid of the progress bar immediately, instead of waiting 8 seconds after "play", or "skip back," or forever when FF or REW.