Change size of new Navigator Screen
On our one TV the bottom row of information is below the screen level (the New, date information on the bottom tiles). The screen is already at maximum resolution and I have no issues with any broadcasts or movies I watch so I don't want to change this.
I'm assuming there is no way to adjust the display size.
Easy deletion unused scheduled recordings for defunct series
We have a lot of really old scheduled programs (a lot of old shows that no longer broadcast). The didn't show up in the old guide so we forgot about them. I came across them recently before the navigator upgrade with a function looking at programming of series (I forgot how exactly how I found it). I had started to get rid of them on the one NextBox but didn't complete it as it was so tedious.
With the "design" of the new navigator these all show up as separate tiles at the bottom of the list (why scheduled and recorded programs have to be on the same list I'll never understand) so I want to get rid of them - there are multiple rows of them.
Is there anyway to get rid of them other than one by one deletion? I was wondering if the web interface would support this.
Upgrade to the new NextBox Navigatr took place over night and everything is working well. Took about 4 minutes to get used to all the different ways to navigate. I'm one of those geeks so don't have any problems with the upgrade.
Most Rogers customers aren't geeks. Most geeks figured out some time ago how to get their TV elsewhere.
I get the same thing - multiple slides for a program I haven't even scheduled. If I try to delete any, it just creates a new copy. I did find that if I rebooted a bunch went away. But a few stayed anyway. And they reproduce all by themselves. I've twice asked about this; no one can give me an answer.
Regarding the blank "Settings" screen I'm getting, I understand that you are suggesting that I press "Menu" instead of "Settings". It's not that I don't see "Settings" as an option to select, I do. It's when I select "Settings" the screen that I get shows "ROGERS Navigatr. Settings" in the top left hand corner and the rest of the screen is blank. There are no settings displayed for me to change.
So I still don't have a solution. I have rebooted a few times with no luck.
(And pressing the Settings button brings up the same screen as Menu->settings and is similarly blank.)
I have the same problem with 2 rows of tiles not fitting on the screen. Who designs this stuff such that it doesn't all fit on the screen?!?
I should add that I have 2 Nextboxes: a 2.0 and a 3.0 and they both have this same dysfunction.
I noted that someone was asking what type of TV you had. Mine is an HDTV.
List of Navigatr Issues - I strongly encourage people, especially those new to Navigatr to read this post completely:
The latest version of Navigatr (126.96.36.199 on my 9865) has addressed some of the major issues from July 28th, but many issues remain. I’ve compiled the following list of known, current Navigatr issues.
1. Information regarding recorded programmes requires you to click on a tile for series recordings - an extra step
2. Information regarding single recordings, such as channel recorded, length of programme, requires you to start watching the programme – two extra steps.
3. Scheduled recordings currently appear at the bottom of your list of “Recordings”, rather than in a separate list like before. Workable, but a bit strange and annoying for anyone with many "recordings", especially when you cannot use the "up" arrow to go to the bottom of the list.
4. CC cannot be enabled from a recording. You must switch to live TV, invoke CC and find your recording again taking a huge number of clicks depending on the location of your recording.
5. PoP – the pictures are significantly smaller than they used to be. The “move” button allows you to go to PiP with various positions for the PiP and eventually back to PoP, however, it would be nice if the PoPs were bigger.
6. Using the FAV button may mess with your settings for favourite channels and all channels. I suggest repeated presses of the “Guide” button, like on RTN to cycle between All and Favourites
7. Some people still say the fonts are too small. I don’t find this an issue on my TV (11’ from a 65” TV, however, some people may be “farther away” – ratio-wise, or not have 20/15 vision.
8. Pressing “info” brings up something different when watching a recording than when watching live TV. The experience should be identical, or at least similar. Pressing "info" also stops the playback of your recording and if you press an incorrect button, may bring you back to the beginning of your recording instead of resuming. I believe they've stopped playback so that the "Call Display" feature stops the playback if you have it turned on. I'll need to experiment some more to provide more details on this issue. Pressing Guide, Settings or List while playing a recording may, or may not stop the playback. The experience should be consistent.
9. Some people have reported that nothing happens when they press the "Settings" button. If that applies to you, press "Menu" instead and you should see "Settings" as a submenu there.
10. If you set reminders, when the reminder comes up one minute before the programme starts you can select "Watch Now" or "Dismiss". With RTN when the programme started, the PVR switched to that Programme automatically if you hadn't pressed "Watch Now". With Navigatr it doesn't switch - I consider this a failing.
11. When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.
12. With some menus (see tips in the post below), you can use the up arrow to wrap around to the bottom of the list (when invoking CC for example), or the left arrow to quickly go to the far right (when using the letter search for example). However, with the list/tiles you cannot. This "wraparound" is inconsistent, annoying and should be corrected for the list, and anything else that doesn't perform that way.
13. Some people cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles. This is due to Rogers not placing these in the "safe zone" for broadcast. See the tip on overscan in the tips post below.
Some people have reported problems with the download to their STB not completing - error messages, stuck on countdown, etc. This is almost always a signal issue at your home or in your neighbourhood. Move the STB to a different location in your home as close as possible to the demarcation point – or call Rogers and have them check your signal. The 8642 and 9865s require a good signal to boot.
Tips: Here are some tips (workarounds) that may help you navigate Navigatr more quickly and more easily. Again, I recommend reading this list completely since it addresses many of the questions in recent posts.
1. When you bring up your “List” of recordings, you can page down to see your scheduled recordings. Near the bottom of the page you will see your recordings scheduled for the next 6 days. You may also see some scheduled recordings that appear to be blank. You may have set these some time ago and they are simply scheduled but the programme doesn’t air within the next 6 days. Navigating on the single page is usually faster than changing the “filter” on your recordings.
2. When you’re in any of the menus, you can often go “up” instead of “down” or “left” instead of “right” (Wraparound). For example, when navigating the menus to invoke CC, if you use the “up” button after “info”, you’ll be able to invoke CC in 6 clicks, rather than the 11 clicks it would take if you follow the menus using the “down” button. Same holds true after pressing “Settings” to take you quickly to “Troubleshooting” in one click. People need to remember that menu items may not always appear on the page you are looking at. You may need to scroll down, or up, to get to more menu items. Sometimes there is an "arrow" at the bottom of the page indicating this, sometimes not.
3. Some people have reported that they see a blank screen if they press the “Settings” button. For those of you who have this issue, try pressing “Menu” instead. “Settings” should then be a submenu there. If you still can't see the settings, you may need to get Rogers to do a factory reset, or try one yourself - you'll lose all your recordings and settings though.
4. Don't press the FAV button at all if you wish to avoid problems with the current version of Navigatr. Just like on RTN, press "Guide" once to get all channels. While in the guide press "Guide" again to get your favourites, if you press "Guide" again, it'll go back to all chanels, etc. That should preclude any issues with your favourites.
5. "More Like This" can be disabled. Go to Settings - Related Content Settings - Don't Show.
6. In order to check on my scheduled recordings I typically use AnyPlace Web interface (or the RAPTV App, or the mobile App), rather than the PVR itself. You cannot find "zombie" (0-recorded, 0-scheduled) recordings there though.
7. For searches, I typically do the same (AnyPlace/App) because it's a lot faster, especially for a touch-typist like me. I try to use AnyPlace when the internet/Rogers is less busy, avoiding lunchtime and prime time whenever possible.
8. Some people have reported that they cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles in their list. This may happen for any TV that is not set for 0% overscan. Most TVs default to 16:9 mode, which has about 2% overscan, meaning that you don’t see about 2% of the picture. This is done because many broadcasters don’t properly center their images and you may end up seeing very thin black bars or small white or coloured lines around the edge of the image. If your TV allows for it, invoke the 0% overscan mode by cycling through your TV’s stretch modes, or by checking for it in the user setup menus. Rogers should have placed these tiles in the “safe zone”, so that they can be seen by those using the 16:9 (2% overscan) mode.
Hope this helps some people.