UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@DragonsOfWine

I have the same problem with 2 rows of tiles not fitting on the screen.  Who designs this stuff such that it doesn't all fit on the screen?!?

I should add that I have 2 Nextboxes:  a 2.0 and a 3.0 and they both have this same dysfunction.

I noted that someone was asking what type of TV you had.  Mine is an HDTV.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

List of Navigatr Issues - I strongly encourage people, especially those new to Navigatr to read this post completely:

The latest version of Navigatr (6.0.0.132 on my 9865) has addressed some of the major issues from July 28th, but many issues remain.  I’ve compiled the following list of known, current Navigatr issues.

1.    Information regarding recorded programmes requires you to click on a tile for series recordings - an extra step
2.    Information regarding single recordings, such as channel recorded, length of programme, requires you to start watching the programme – two extra steps.
3.    Scheduled recordings currently appear at the bottom of your list of “Recordings”, rather than in a separate list like before. Workable, but a bit strange and annoying for anyone with many "recordings", especially when you cannot use the "up" arrow to go to the bottom of the list.
4.    CC cannot be enabled from a recording. You must switch to live TV, invoke CC and find your recording again taking a huge number of clicks depending on the location of your recording.
5.    PoP – the pictures are significantly smaller than they used to be. The “move” button allows you to go to PiP with various positions for the PiP and eventually back to PoP, however, it would be nice if the PoPs were bigger.
6.    Using the FAV button may mess with your settings for favourite channels and all channels. I suggest repeated presses of the “Guide” button, like on RTN to cycle between All and Favourites
7.    Some people still say the fonts are too small. I don’t find this an issue on my TV (11’ from a 65” TV, however, some people may be “farther away” – ratio-wise, or not have 20/15 vision.
8.    Pressing “info” brings up something different when watching a recording than when watching live TV. The experience should be identical, or at least similar. Pressing "info" also stops the playback of your recording and if you press an incorrect button, may bring you back to the beginning of your recording instead of resuming. I believe they've stopped playback so that the "Call Display" feature stops the playback if you have it turned on. I'll need to experiment some more to provide more details on this issue.  Pressing Guide, Settings or List while playing a recording may, or may not stop the playback. The experience should be consistent.
9. Some people have reported that nothing happens when they press the "Settings" button. If that applies to you, press "Menu" instead and you should see "Settings" as a submenu there.
10. If you set reminders, when the reminder comes up one minute before the programme starts you can select "Watch Now" or "Dismiss". With RTN when the programme started, the PVR switched to that Programme automatically if you hadn't pressed "Watch Now". With Navigatr it doesn't switch - I consider this a failing.
11. When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.
12. With some menus (see tips in the post below), you can use the up arrow to wrap around to the bottom of the list (when invoking CC for example), or the left arrow to quickly go to the far right (when using the letter search for example). However, with the list/tiles you cannot. This "wraparound" is inconsistent, annoying and should be corrected for the list, and anything else that doesn't perform that way.
13. Some people cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles. This is due to Rogers not placing these in the "safe zone" for broadcast. See the tip on overscan in the tips post below.

Some people have reported problems with the download to their STB not completing - error messages, stuck on countdown, etc. This is almost always a signal issue at your home or in your neighbourhood. Move the STB to a different location in your home as close as possible to the demarcation point – or call Rogers and have them check your signal. The 8642 and 9865s require a good signal to boot.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tips: Here are some tips (workarounds) that may help you navigate Navigatr more quickly and more easily.  Again, I recommend reading this list completely since it addresses many of the questions in recent posts.

1.    When you bring up your “List” of recordings, you can page down to see your scheduled recordings. Near the bottom of the page you will see your recordings scheduled for the next 6 days. You may also see some scheduled recordings that appear to be blank. You may have set these some time ago and they are simply scheduled but the programme doesn’t air within the next 6 days. Navigating on the single page is usually faster than changing the “filter” on your recordings.
2.    When you’re in any of the menus, you can often go “up” instead of “down” or “left” instead of “right” (Wraparound). For example, when navigating the menus to invoke CC, if you use the “up” button after “info”, you’ll be able to invoke CC in 6 clicks, rather than the 11 clicks it would take if you follow the menus using the “down” button. Same holds true after pressing “Settings” to take you quickly to “Troubleshooting” in one click. People need to remember that menu items may not always appear on the page you are looking at. You may need to scroll down, or up, to get to more menu items. Sometimes there is an "arrow" at the bottom of the page indicating this, sometimes not.
3.    Some people have reported that they see a blank screen if they press the “Settings” button. For those of you who have this issue, try pressing “Menu” instead. “Settings” should then be a submenu there. If you still can't see the settings, you may need to get Rogers to do a factory reset, or try one yourself - you'll lose all your recordings and settings though.
4.    Don't press the FAV button at all if you wish to avoid problems with the current version of Navigatr. Just like on RTN, press "Guide" once to get all channels. While in the guide press "Guide" again to get your favourites, if you press "Guide" again, it'll go back to all chanels, etc. That should preclude any issues with your favourites.
5. "More Like This" can be disabled. Go to Settings - Related Content Settings - Don't Show.
6. In order to check on my scheduled recordings I typically use AnyPlace Web interface (or the RAPTV App, or the mobile App), rather than the PVR itself. You cannot find "zombie" (0-recorded, 0-scheduled) recordings there though.
7. For searches, I typically do the same (AnyPlace/App) because it's a lot faster, especially for a touch-typist like me. I try to use AnyPlace when the internet/Rogers is less busy, avoiding lunchtime and prime time whenever possible.
8. Some people have reported that they cannot see the bottom of the second row of tiles in their list. This may happen for any TV that is not set for 0% overscan. Most TVs default to 16:9 mode, which has about 2% overscan, meaning that you don’t see about 2% of the picture. This is done because many broadcasters don’t properly center their images and you may end up seeing very thin black bars or small white or coloured lines around the edge of the image. If your TV allows for it, invoke the 0% overscan mode by cycling through your TV’s stretch modes, or by checking for it in the user setup menus. Rogers should have placed these tiles in the “safe zone”, so that they can be seen by those using the 16:9 (2% overscan) mode.

Hope this helps some people.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@scuddycat wrote:

@DragonsOfWine

I have the same problem with 2 rows of tiles not fitting on the screen.  Who designs this stuff such that it doesn't all fit on the screen?!?

I should add that I have 2 Nextboxes:  a 2.0 and a 3.0 and they both have this same dysfunction.

I have the same problem.  Second row of tiles slightly off screen.

My sentiments exactly.  Who designs this stuff?

I Plan to Stick Around

If you check @57s post right above (#563) - his point #8 gives the fix for this "overscan" problem. You have to go into the Settings on the TV set to make the change. I suppose that the description depends on the make of TV that you have. On my Sony it was listed as "full pixel"

@robindp wrote:

Hello @DragonsOfWine,

Unlike the old interface there is no way to delete all of the old, scheduled recording triggers in a batch -- you must delete them one a time. 

Thanks, kind of what I figured. Rogers doesn't want to make our life easier do they Smiley Wink Especially given the list resets back to the top every time you delete one. So do fix it's

1. scroll down (why isn't there a page down)
  2. go into "dead" group
  3. arrow over to delete
  4. select and agree to delete
  5. repeat 1-4 for all dead series.

I'm a geek (36 years in systems development) and while I can work through the new navigator it is very clumsy and not really well thought out. Interfaces should not change that drastically unless they really improve things (e.g., NT/XP -> W7 good, W7 -> Win8 not good since average person isn't using a touchscreen).

Why are picture tiles needed for all the programs we watch - they don't add anything to the list.

Why was CC missed on recorded programs?

Why are we forced to have recorded and scheduled together when 99% of the time I only want to watch what I've recorded?

Why was the LIFO order in lists made worse by increase the information displayed on the selected item? The list should be ordered FIFO (ascending date order) so I expect most people want to watch an older episode of a show before the latest. This is why we record because don't watch everything every week and will do catch up.

I could go on and on but there is no point to it. We'll just wait to see if some of these get remedied.

I do feel sorry for the technically challenged or easily frustrated customers.

In regards to the chopped of guide (why does Roger's insist on putting all issues together in the same megatopic - makes it hard to find stuff - kind of like the new Navigator itself Smiley Wink - Yeah, all my TV's are HDTV. It only happens on my 43" Sony in the bedroom, not in the 60" in the living room. They are all less than 5 years old.

Part of the issue of making these large picture tiles on the navigator. Make the tiles shorter or better yet, go back to the text list. I know what my program looks like - the picture while "cool looking" doesn't add anything. IMHO

I've Been Here Awhile

The problem for most isn't being able to use the new software, it's the removal of some very useful functions of the old PVR guide system. In my case I have multiple PVRs (4) on the Rogers Whole Home PVR system and now I can't see which PVR a program is recorded on so if i watch a program thinking I recorded it on "my" PVR I may delete it, after watching it, on my "wife's" PVR before she gets a chance to watch it. We often record the same program because occasionaly and on some channels the playback from one PVR to another is "choppy" and/or doesn't sync well, although most of the time it does work as expected.

I also agree with others who have posted comments about it being more difficult now to see a show's content before viewing. It used to just display at the bottom of the screen as you scrolled through a list, now you have to click on each show to see content (does not however tell you which PVR it's on).

To me the channel guide system seems alright overall, just not the PVR part.

@scuddycat wrote:

@DragonsOfWine

It is the classic challenge of designing video output - one size never fits all so they really can't (they can probably get back the screen resolution and adjust but would be extra work). Personally I found the text list was better - the pictures don't aid me in finding my programs. In fact, now I'm getting duplicate categories (where I used to get one program group) because the same show was recorded on multiple channels because of Rogers' moving things.