UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I have three Nextboxes and exchanged them several times.  They aren't the problem.  Rogers transmissions/emissions is.  I have to reboot several times a week.  NAVIGATR makes it even worse.

I Plan to Stick Around

@lzm40

It is easy to get rid of this.

Press Menu

Up arrow 2 times to System

Select System

Scroll to Channel Change Banner 

Select Don't Show.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jbulach wrote:

Got the new Navigatr last night here in Ottawa. I agree with the other posts, I like it. I have tried all features and have had no problems. I am sure there will be a few tweaks required, but that’s OK.

I have noticed over the year that quite a few users suffer from R2C, “Resistance To Change”. As Mr. Bean A.K.A. Justin Trudeau said its 2016, get over it and enjoy.

I don't think there is any R2C here. Most of the people here like change, provided it's for the better. My comments regarding your slag are as follows:

I'm guessing you don't care about:

- not seeing how long a programme is until you start it - two extra steps (for single recordings).  This is a factor in deciding which programme I wish to watch next, and although most series are of a known length, a lot of single recordings like movies are not.
- not seeing the programme info (description) until you click on the tile - an extra step compared to RTN
- not being able to easily see your scheduled recordings, channels that they're on, etc
- the fact that the recorded and scheduled tiles are all jumbled up on the same page
- almost anything you do on the PVR side requires more clicks than before.

I guess you don't use CC either.  You say you tried all features, but I bet you didn't try turning on CC while watching a recording.

There are many more "faults" with this UI, but that should suffice for now. It's certainly better than it was July 28th, however, I cannot understand a preference for additional work and additional steps for almost every function of the PVR, compared to RTN.  I can understand if it's faster for the 8642, however, on the 9865, I believe it's actually a bit slower.  On RTN any button presses were invoked immediately, while on Navigatr there is a very slight delay. The speed is livable, but I would not say anything about Navigatr is faster on the 9865.

My wife commented last night on how much longer it takes to do anything on Navigatr.  Instead of slagging the posters here, you should be thanking them for helping Rogers fix what was an abomination, and making it into something that is "useable", but certainly not better or faster than RTN was.  We will continue to provide recommendations to Rogers to make this a better product, especially CC.

I've Been Here Awhile

You like all these silly tiles instead of a quickly scanned list.  You like that recorded and to be recorded are mixed.  You like that you can't sort programs by PVR. It is a balky regressive system.

I'm an Advisor

@jbulach wrote:

Got the new Navigatr last night here in Ottawa. I agree with the other posts, I like it. I have tried all features and have had no problems. I am sure there will be a few tweaks required, but that’s OK.

I have noticed over the year that quite a few users suffer from R2C, “Resistance To Change”. As Mr. Bean A.K.A. Justin Trudeau said its 2016, get over it.

IT'S a pity Ottawa rollout was stopped last July. The initial version of was a complete disaster. Not only did it zap NB2 harddrives, it made PVR management extremely difficult.  Justin, Stephan, Tom and all the MPs plus he CRTC would have had firsthand experience and would have Stopped the Madness. 

It took a few dedicated customers ( mostly in this forum) to show Rogers how to make the PVR function OK.

6 months later we have somthing that is not great, not an improvement, but finally barely usable. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just received the new Navigatr update today and am completely confused why all my scheduled and recorded shows are lumped together? Can they not make these two separate lists like before? I think someone said that recorded shows show up first, but it just looks like a mess of shows if you have a lot recorded and a lot being scheduled to record. I see you can filter to only show what's scheduled, but then all your recorded shows dissapear.

Please fix this, and fire whoever thought this was a good idea?

I Plan to Stick Around

I just received the new Navigatr - on a tablet this would probably be great - but on a tv it isn't.

I do have a question - wasn't there a claim that we could get things done with fewer clicks?  Why then was I able to hit "list" yesterday to see my list of recordings, and hit "list" again to see my upcoming recordings, but today I hit "list" and I see my recordings (I won't even get into the ridiculousness of the tiles) but to see the upcoming recordings I have to click "c" to sort, change a setting, save the setting, then go back to the previous screen.  And then rinse and repeat to go back to  my list of already recorded shows.

That doesn't seem like fewer clicks to me 

Having said that, I do have confidence that a future update will restore the "list" "list" commands, and also give the option to switch from tiles to a list.  I just hope it's soon.

I Plan to Stick Around

People who just got this and say they like it, if they are actually serious, would be well-advised to look back at the messages on this forum.  Note especially two or three that summarize the "features" in a list.  Forewarned is forearmed and you'll save yourself hours of frustration finding the same things yourselves.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@headhoncho wrote:

...to see the upcoming recordings I have to click "c" to sort, change a setting, save the setting, then go back to the previous screen.  And then rinse and repeat to go back to  my list of already recorded shows.

After pressing "List", you can see your list of recordings. If you page down to the bottom of the list, you will see your scheduled recordings (recordings that are scheduled for the next 6 days, as well as scheduled recordings that do not air in the next 6 days that may be "left over" from some time ago).  This is usually faster than using the "filter - C" to switch.  Plus if you use the filter to see scheduled recordings, you won't see your scheduled recordings that do not air in the next 6 days (0-Recordings, 0-Scheduled Recordings)...

I'm an Advisor

A few extra clicks versus none ?

Those of us that suffered since last July are grateful  that it takes a few extra clicks to see what is set to record tonight etc.

The earlier version required no clicks cause we could not do this basic function at all!

I hope you are right about tiles/list option, but in the meantime, best to find a SA8300 and hold onto it for dear life.