UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Why, oh why is Rogers doing this to us?  We are seniors living on OAS, partial CPP and our savings along with some paltry interest.  Our main entertainment options are TV and taking walks.  We were able to program VCRs and the PVR made things easier.  But now Rogers is rolling out something called Navigator with a letter missing.  As so many have documented here, it is poorly designed, counter-intuitive and user-hostile.  Yet Rogers keeps pushing it and actually telling shareholders it's good and well-received.

I wasted half an hour yesterday trying to find out how to turn on closed captions while watching a program.  I finally gave up but luckily found the answer here.  What possessed someone to bury it so deeply?  I also have a program on the list that wasn't there before the "upgrade" and occurs thirteen(!) times.  Each has 0 recorded, 0 scheduled, no clue as to what station or time and "Cancel All Scheduled Recordings" has no effect.  Wait... I just tried again to cancel and it ADDED a new tile for this mysterious show.  Now I have fourteen.

I won't go on as others have already documented in detail just how bad this is.  My in-laws gave up and pulled the plug.  They now have an HD antenna and no longer subscribe to Rogers.  They miss their recordings but found the system too awkward and weren't recording anyway.  My brother has stopped using his (owned) box as anything but a tuner.  And this morning my wife informed me that if anything ever happened to me she'd have to give up TV or maybe just watch what happens to be on.

Maybe those of you half our age are managing okay.  But we seniors have hit the wall with our technological know-how and aren't adept at finding the workarounds this horrible software.  We've been Rogers customers for decades; I just don't understand why the company insists on treating its most loyal customers this way.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks to this update, I get angry and annoyed every time I want to watch TV knowing that I have to use this poorly design UI. The new Navigatr is a burden and takes away from the enjoyment of watching tv. Rogers has really upset  a lot its customers and will most definitely be driving many of its customers to switch to online cable.

I'm Here A Lot

One more bug I have found, and it is astounding this got through:
- click on the FAV button on the remote to see what's on on all your favourite channels
- Exit from that

- click on Guide. It now shows only your favourite channels instead of all your channels. You can go into the Filters options to reset to all your channels, but the next time you look at your favourites, the Guide button is contaminated again.
That really make it look like there is zero quality control on this software (and I say that after spending twenty five years developing very complex software)

I've Been Here Awhile

Ya I noticed that one too. Was this made by children?!?
I've Been Here Awhile

Frustrated big time with Rogers Navigatr

To Rogers

I'm writing to let you know that I am very unhappy customer for several reasons due to this new navigatr tv system, such as you grouped all in one with past recording and future recordings which makes it much harder to tell which is already recorded and set to record.

Not only that,  when all recordings are grouped all together, you can't tell which episode is first and the next of the same show. You just can't tell, with the old system, you had it done by date, by title or by channel, then the recorded ones are listed in order from the bottom to the top, when you click on "List (green button on rogers remote)" twice. So you know which to watch first according to the episodes each week, but not with this new navigatr system, and not only that, what makes it worse. On some weeks, I can't record my fave show on the same channel, such as for example, Flash on say channel 8, because on some weeks, oscar takes over or whatever show that pops up once a while takes over which I have to change it over to maybe channel 17, so it gets confusing, as to which Flash episodes are in order... that's why I like the old system when it was put in folder in the section of "by title" regardless of what channel you recorded. Because with this new navigatr system, sometimes on some nights, we record Flash from 8pm to 9pm and then 9pm to 10pm on the same night, you can't tell which episodes these two Flash that was aired on the same night.

Also, I am a Deaf person who relies on closed captioning. Since with this forced navigatr on us who pays Rogers lost closed captioning on CTV channels, during live shows, it was awful, it would flicker and disappear and no closed caption at all.

I want to have the Rogers remote to have the cc button on it, so I can toggle it on and off quickly. Rogers NEVER thinks of people who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Remember there is ADOA act in effect as of last year. I don't want to have to leave the live show in order to go into "info" then on the right side, go down the list to "more.." then toggle cc on and off. then back out and then resume playing, that's a big turn off and makes me angry instead of relaxing and enjoying the show!

Also the symbol "new" used to be red.. now it's white.. it's very hard on my eyes. And also, the banner where it says do you want to delete.. it's white.. which is very hard on my eyes as well...

Just like Justin Trudeau says, it's 2016, come on!!!  Respect us, we are the paying customers. We should be given the options to either choose to stay with the old one or go with the new one!!!

The only thing I like about the navigatr is the picture of the shows, that's it!

You know the famous saying... "Don't fix anything that doesn't need fixing!"

I'm Here A Lot

A person's age or skill level isn't the problem - the Navigatr is anything but user friendly. I haven't yet found a single feature that I like. Wish they would revert back to the old one. Bell has a much better format - if changes aren't made to NAVIGATR over the next couple of months, I'm going elsewhere, and I've been a Rogers customer since they introduced the "movie channel" way back in the 1970's.
I'm a Senior Advisor

There is some validity to the issue of willingness, desire to change, age or call it ability to change with age and cognitive abilities, visual acuity, hearing, a whole range of things that this change has impacted.  In addition to a horribly designed interface.

I am getting used to the work arounds, but still don't like it, nor would I recommend it to others.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Found another interesting issue today - don't know if it is on anyplace tv end, or box communicating to the software.

All my series recordings are showing as grenich mean time (5 hours behind the recording time).  The individually recorded shows are fine.

Weird one - took a bit to figure out that there was a pattern to the time on the recorded shows and which ones were off.

If it is still there tomorrow, I will contact tech support and let them know. And no I am not going to reboot the box, want to see if it persists first.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @khristopher,

@khristopher wrote:

Are you serious? That is ridiculous. Why show items that are not actually recorded? If I want to see shows that I have scheduled, that would be in the scheduled list.

Ah! I see the problem -- you've confused Navigatr with some sort of PVR software! You obviously weren't paying attention when Rogers explained in detail how Navigatr  is designed to bring you, the customer, a greatly improved television viewing experience!!! No mention at all about being designed to make PVR operation either logical, easy, or even tolerable.

The sad fact is, there *is* no 'scheduled list', nor, for that matter, a 'recorded list', nor lists of any kind!!!!

Instead, Rogers has brought you, the customer, the fabulous, new, innovative, stupendous Windows 8 'Bathroom Tile' interface! (Of course I'm all set, because my smart phone has a 70" touch-screen...)  

Regards,

Mr. A

I've Been Around

Children would design it better. Rogers is really making fools out of their customers.