UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@andmatca78

Exactly! What someone at Rogers does not get is that the tiles work just fine when using a touchscreen device such as an iPad or any other tablet, but when it comes to scrolling through the tiles on the PVR and having to use umpteen hits on the arrow keys - well...........it just does not work. In my opinion, Navigatr should have been an improved interface. Instead, functionaltity has been lost and when that happens, customers will also be lost!

I'm a Senior Advisor

I hadn't looked at this thread closely in a couple of days.  It is quickly approaching the total number of posts in the previous navigtr thread and it was pruned down considerably from its original 1400 plus.

But as the new locations come online with the new implementation - call it beta version 2, since we are still operating as unpaid beta and userability testers, and although no near the mess that the July run was, 6 months later, the basic design is neither more efficient or easier to use, nor do we find it improved in any way what so ever.

A question was asked - where do we go now.  I would sugget the federal government, as well as CRTC - while you are at it, ask for consideration of cable cards, so we can choose our own boxes, or even plug them into TV tuners for basic services. People talk about Rogers not using cable cards - there actually is a dedicated cable card imbedded in technology of the box.  The Cisco box is designed on the principle of cable cards.

Also consider discussing with them, the new practice of locking us in and charging declining cancellation fees, and had we had choice of our box, we could have killed this whole navigtr mess instantly buy staying with Rogers and just getting a new design with a cable card.  It takes the control of the oligopies to force us down routes we clearly based upon all the above feedback are not happy with.

And the last bunch has largely moved on with a few of us still pushing (some for frustration reasons, some because they enjoy doing it, and some because they don't want to give up the good fight).

Personally, I would not deal with the company, or the ombudsman anymore, these issues are well documented, with each of us being dealt in many different ways (the consistency issue is another great frustration) and would go straight to CRTC.  CCTC doesn't currently deal with cable, so this is in the domain of CRTC still, but government, as we know can also influence the CRTC directions too.

I had thought that the past group including ourselves had found just about every issue that could be found, but it is clear that due to the complete absence of quality user testing, we were dumped with poorly tested live boxes from day one in July and day two in December, with only oone delay as they dealt with power off features.  But as the new users came on line, each group of users have unique ways that they use these boxes, because the developers long time ago decided to move from simple to complex, which is full of inherent errors and costs more to implement and design.  So the list of bugs, and user design issues (many of which we already know the answer - we aren't changing them), but keep them coming, because if we stop talking, it will all just go away, which I am sure upper levels are counting on that.

So only ways to keep going forward, is to continue reporting issues as much as you want, escalate as you desire, go to CRTC, or just use your feet.  The other big player just came out with more capabilities that the Nextbox doesn't have, and many that they do far better.

Maybe a direct comparison of service tech support, customer support and cable services would be a good thing for one of the TV marketing review and customer issues shows, or Ellen at the Star is more than willing to here your stories, and actively reads this board, and my last correspondence with her, she was shocked at the disprespect for we the customers, and was shaking her head in disbelief.  I am sure she would be happy to write on this once again.

Good luck and enjoy your viewing as best as you can.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bruce, I greatly appreciate your response. Even tempered and very well thought out and articulated. Options are available and I fully intend to explore each available one as it seems my current cable provider does not appear to be able to fix the well documented issues that they clearly have caused. Thank you, sir.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

Personally, I would not deal with the company, or the ombudsman anymore, these issues are well documented, with each of us being dealt in many different ways (the consistency issue is another great frustration) and would go straight to CRTC.  CCTC doesn't currently deal with cable, so this is in the domain of CRTC still, but government, as we know can also influence the CRTC directions too.

Bruce, according to this post on Digitalhome. top management seems oblivious to the havoc this software is wreaking and are quite proud of the decline in customer complaints.  Makes you wonder if they live in some other parallel universe.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I too had problems with the download. I have two Nextboxes. One downloaded fine, the main box in the livingroom would not let you access the SETTINGS function. Called Rogers and they put a ticket to correct the problem. I received a call several hours later informing me the problem had been recified. However, the problem was still present. I called Rogers back with the ticket number and was informed that it was rectified and the ticket was closed. After trying several different things with the tech on the phone. Nothing worked. The only way they could rectify this was to do a factory reset from their end. Unfortunely, I would lose all my recordings, pre-set recordings and all the personal preferences in the settings. Within 12 hours they had reset my set box twice and the problem seems to be rectified. Still don't like this new interface. They now give you the choice to change the brightness of the box set clock from low to high. Why can' they set up font size choices in the settings function to increase or decrease the font size. As I am typing this , my Nextbox is rebooting again. Who knows what problems are going to be the result of this reboot. If this is going to be an ongoing thing. I will definitely be jumping ship to Bell.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well it's  official  NAVIGATR HAS BEEN RE-NAMED ITS,

NAVIGATOR.

THE PRESIDENT OF ROGERS USED THIS NAME, in his latest

financial report!

!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@BS wrote:

Bruce, according to this post on Digitalhome. top management seems oblivious to the havoc this software is wreaking and are quite proud of the decline in customer complaints.  Makes you wonder if they live in some other parallel universe.

It's really unfortunate that the dates in question were just prior to the release of 'navigator', as Guy Laurence, President and CEO of Rogers, refers to it. So it looks like the shareholders are being sold the same wonderfully twisted pile of Business Statistics.

What would be really interesting to know is whether Rogers has any plans to address the dozens of issues that have been raised to date with Navigatr. It certainly hasn't improved my TV watching experince, and quite to the contrary since it's forced me to actively investigate alternatives as others have eluded to as well. I recently cut my cable services back to the bare minimum package in protest but an $80 drop in fees has done little to alert anyone at Rogers since they still have a customer on the books.

Top notch customer service is the only reason that I remain a Rogers customer!

Cheers

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@MarkDarren wrote:

I’m a UI designer, the fact Rogers moved Scheduled Recordings, a 1st level feature down to a 3rd level menu-toggle is appalling! What use to be 2 clicks of 1 button is now replaced by 7 clicks and 2 buttons. How is that better?!! The thumbnail-view-only grid is terrible, bring the list-view back as an option. And how come I can’t hit up and go to the bottom of my list anymore. Whosever designed this UI should be fired. I really want to leave Rogers now.

For those us infected with this software since July 28 which had no way to do this at all,  the newfound ability to see scheduled in time/date order is a minor miracle ! 😉

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Noticed that my Nextbox 3 crashes at the end of a movie on demand. Press stop and screen freezes and goes black. The only way to end the session is reboot.  Has happened 3x on different days. 

Anyone else having the same problem or have a fix other than rebooting. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I had that problem begin about a few weeks ago - I began to not let the show end, just stopped during the credits, but I also haven't seen it for a while, but I also haven't been watching on demand much lately.

My developed a pattern at one point, I would binge watch two shows in a row, it would freeze on the second one at the end, then I would watch two more and it froze.  I did this six times in a row over two days, then reported it.  They did open a ticket, still open, but like I said, I haven't seen it as of recently.

May be unique to a few boxes and how we happened to have configuration and use patterns in place - this is one that their technical teams in implementation don't seem to get - there are so many configuration options in place, and many of them did not work well in the first place, so it is possible that you can get it randomly on some boxes, but not others.  

Their basic solution is eventually factory reset, because from what I have seen, they don't actually take back our box from us with the problems intact to understand how it happens. Mine seemed to resolve itself on its own, or it may have been with the last update - haven't got a clue, but hope it is gone

Work your way through various tiers of tech support, and hold your ground on factory reset until you are fully willing to do it.  As many have said, if I have to start all over, then I will just walk.

Good luck and keep us up to date -

Hang in there.  BruceSmiley Mad