UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@tamaya wrote:

I can see almost everyone hates this new Navigatr. I really hope Rogers listens ( I doubt they will) . Watching the instructions to try to figure out if there is an easier way to use it and it doesn't seem to be.

1 The first video talks about recording something that is currently on. I use to click record and that was it, one step.  Now you click info ( shouldn't that give inormation about the show, that IS what info means) then have to scroll to click record this episode or record series. That is multpiple steps.  It was easier before.

2 WHY would you separate the same show by channel? Sometimes you have to record a show on a different channel/network for 1 week because it is premepted by another show. That makes it more confusing not less.

3 I really hope the downloading of the images is not taking up some of my internet data!

4 When I go to my list and click on a recording it no longer gives me all the information about the show, it gives half of it with the recorded date. the old system gave you the whole description AND the year the show was from. So if it is a repeat form 3 yrs ago I can just delete it. Now I can't see all that info. In fact the info button doesn't work at all.

5 It doesn't say the channel number. It has the name, global, or space or spk. It doesn't tell you eather you recoreded it on Global 3 or Global 118 from Calgary.

6 There is way to much on the screen it is way to busy, I want a simplified list version of my recordings. Recordings only not everything mixed together.

7 Why is it showing shows that I deleted months ago from the to be recorded list? I had to spend an hour deleting all the old schedule , partly because everytime you delete one thing it takes you back to the start and YOU CAN"T SCROLL UP !!!!  It even had one from my old pvr box something that hasn't been on tv in over a year.

The box is not connected to the internet at all, it does not use up any internet usage.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @dayzed007  "I'm in the same boat and have basically been ignored."  I believe you are replying to @ropolster - but it's not entirely clear.  And yes - after Rogers has deleted all your recordings - that is a good time to leave.

You can certainly ask a tech person if they could take the old hard drive out of your bricked box and put it in a new box - but I've never heard of that being possible.  Rogers has adherred to VERY stringent DRM processes to make it EXTREMELY hard for it's customers to copy programs - and content on the drive is encripted and ONLY able to be descrambled by the one PVR that it sits in.  You can't take a drive out and attach it to a computer and look at the files and 'see' a TV recording.

I'm sorry to say that odds are 99% that a tech coming out to your house won't be able to give you what you want.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dayzed007 wrote:

I'm in the same boat and have basically been ignored.  I'm told there's nothing they can do.  Yet I intend to have their tech try and disect my old box and connect the drives, since extrernal drives are possible.

I hear the regulars here laughing, but it's worth a shot.

As said before, if I loose my recordings I'll take advantage of the fresh start they offer me and jump ship.  I've been reading good things about new competitors.

@dayzed007 (And this would go for @ropolster as well).

Have you tried moving the box to another outlet in the house?  where the signal may be better.  May allow it to get the update if its just an issue with it in its currentl location, not pulling the update properly (due to signal, etc).

I have had this in the past in my house, with the box in the bedroom.  I know its BARELY within the ok limits (old bad wiring).  The other boxes go fine.  But that one can take 2x as long.. or has failed a few times, reebooted to have it try again.. and eventually does update.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been force-fed Navigatr.

And why do you insist on removing functionality and messing up what's left?  Before, the recorded and scheduled were separated.  Now you mix the two.  Yes, it's possible to separate the scheduled, with a bunch of keystrokes (vs. just one before) but not the recorded.  To add to the confusion, some recorded are labelled 1 New (or whatever number), some simply "New".  The scheduled sometimes have a date, but some simply say "New", just like the recorded.  And the useful day of the week info is gone.  Plus there are a bunch listed with no scheduled date that can't be deleted.  I have 10 "Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations" - a show I may have watched a few years ago but was not on the scheduled list before.  Try as I might, I can't get rid of them.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty - Yes, apologies for not getting back to you, but I did do this.  Other box worked fine, old one still pooched.

@billmcintyre - I work in a large IT company myself and know anything is possible when it comes to tech.  Now it's down to Rogers assigning the right folks if they want to keep my business. I've made it clear in several places what intentions are, so if they are a 'smart' company they would listen and connect the dots.  What do you wanna bet they aren't a smart company?  Truth is, as long as they had me on a working PVR, my recordings kept me addicted to them like a drug.  If they now force me to go cold turkey, I'll go all the way.

Hi @ropolster

I'm very sorry to say that there is probably little chance your recordings can be saved.

One thing that might offer a tiny chance of increasing your odds is to disconnect both the power and the HDMI connector (and also all other connections to your TV - like composite and component connections).   It's probably a good idea to also disconnect the cable (RF) connection as well and leave it disconnected for 10 minutes.

Then, connect the cable connection and ONLY the power cord.  (Don't connect the box to your TV.)  There is a SLIGHT chance that this time the box MIGHT boot properly.

If that doesn't work then you may need to spend an hour on hold trying to get through to tech phone support - and ask them to send someone out to your house to look at the box - but I would respectfully demand that they save your time by sending out a second level tech person who is very experienced and knows what they are doing.  The will probably otherwise send out someone who may or may not have much experience and knowledge.  You will then have to book a SECOND appointment and maybe have to take ANOTHER day off work to wait for someone with more experience to come out and try to solve the problem the first guy couldn't.

Good luck - and way too many of us know the pain you are experiencing of having your recordings 'stolen' from you.  I spent THREE MONTHS suffering with a box that wouldn't work many days for up to 3 or 4 hours - and I spent many, many hours researching on the internet during that time how to 'cut the cable.'   Rogers is going to lose thousands of customers because of Navigatr - and this will happen even if this sentence or whole comment gets deleted.

I'm a Senior Advisor

"7 Why is it showing shows that I deleted months ago from the to be recorded list"

SARA and RTN worked this way as well.  If you have a series set to record, and that series ends, you have to manually delete the series recording.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers, you've screwed up big time.  The managers who recommended this software upgrade without extensive testing and some kind of user feedback before full launch, should be shown the door.  Managers like that can bury a company with such irresponsible errors.  I am in management and I know if I was responsible for this travesty that I would be looking for a new job.  And rightfully so.  

Get rid of those managers responsible and also ditch this software and revert back to the old one.   Trying to fix and Edsel will still leave you with an Edsel

Navigatr is 'pretty' - but the saying 'putting lipstick on a pig' just seems SO appropriate for this new interface.  It's one of the few things that is funny about this whole situation.

I got infected with Navigatr 36 hours ago - and I'm STILL not able to see ANYTHING on my Settings page.  NOTHING.

And the download didn't go smoothly.  The box rebooted, and rebooted, and rebooted - and then it sat for an hour at Cd00.  I finally gave up on the thing and pulled the plug (which is what the designers of Navigatr should have done with this whole project in the beginning.)

So I finally pulled the plug on the box and it finally booted up (eventually).  But this software is STILL FAR FROM BEING READY for public use.  There are SERVERAL DOZEN problems that need to be fixed in the logic of the way the box works - it's 'user interface.'

And one thing that nobody else has complained about - well, specifically - is that the box responds more slowly now to key-presses.  (I know others have complained about the box being slower - but specifically, when you press a key - the box takes LONGER to react to each key press than it did with the RTN software.  This is most obvious when you hit certain keys:  like the Skip Back 10 seconds key.   The box takes noticeably longer to react to this key.)

And as others have kindly spent their valuable time listing - there are a BUNCH of things that Rogers still needs to address with Navigatr.  I'm sure their phone tech people will hear thousands of complaints.

But why should I spend HOURS documenting several dozen problems with the user interface.  It will take hours and hours to stop watching TV and go and write down issue after issue after issue.  The problem is that, although Navigatr 'looks pretty' - it has many STUPID design choices.  MANY.  Too many for me to bother to list - because 6 or 7 months ago people started telling Rogers about their poor interface design choices.  SO MANY of these have NOT been addressed. 

Some have.  Thank you for that.  But much much much more needs to be fixed.

A really simple first step is to give us back the click the green List button twice to see our Scheduled Recordings (and only our Sched recordings.)  And these should be listed in chronological order.  I shouldn't have to click and click and click to change it to chronological and then 'save' that setting.

And what is REALLY driving me nuts is that when I'm looking for information about scheduled recordings, and I click on a tile, when I back out of that tile - I should STAY on the scheduled recordings screen so I can see more info on the NEXT scheduled recording - but the box boots me all the way back to a blank screen.  AND THEN I HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THE KEYPRESSES TO GET BACK TO THAT SCREEN AGAIN.  Am I yelling?  YES.  Because over the period of the next few weeks this is going to use up HOURS of my time.  Until Rogers hopefully fixes this poor usability of this poorly thought out step back in usefulness of a backward interface.

Now maybe I watch way, way too much TV.  Yes.  I do.  But part of the reason I'm MORE angry than the average person is that because I spend way more time watching TV than the average person - the inefficiencies of this 'update' cost me WAY MORE time and trouble than it does to the average person.

I know I watch way too many programs every day - but because I use the box SO MUCH - I NEED the box to QUICKLY manage my recordings.  This so called improvement in the interface does NOT accomplish this.  Rogers statements and bragging and constant commercial after commercial filling the airwaves is TRYING to tell us something that our own experience is showing us to be the exact opposite. 

THAT is why we are angry.

Maybe we would be a little happier if Rogers put out an advertisement that said "We've changed the way your box works.  We made a mess of it.  We're sorry.  We'll listen to what you don't like and make changes to fix it SOON.  We care about YOU and NOT just the MONEY you send us."

And let me be one of those who admit that we are 'addicted' to TV.  And Rogers - you're not a very good dealer.  You're messing up our supply.  I just want to get my fix - and Rogers - you're making it difficult.

Oh - and Rogers:  I hope you've ordered an extra supply of new remote controls for the NB.  Because the dozens and dozens and dozens of extra clicks everybody is having to make to now manage their recorded programs is going to wear out our remotes VERY quickly.   🙂

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Lurker wrote:

"7 Why is it showing shows that I deleted months ago from the to be recorded list"

SARA and RTN worked this way as well.  If you have a series set to record, and that series ends, you have to manually delete the series recording.

And if you don't delete the scheduled series recording, you'll automatically get new episodes recorded when a new season starts, or it comes back from hiatus.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario