UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

My problem exactly! The settings screen has gone blank and the best that they can come up with is that my box is the problem, which infuriates me to no end. No solution, rather this is the first they have heard of it. It's now been six days and six calls to them and they are "stumped"? How's about backing out of your poorly tested update is my response to them - they can't is the response. There are words for describing Rogers and their unbearably poor customer service and experience, but I will elect to let my wallet do the talking moving forward. They already lost $135 month as of last week and I challenged them to find a way to lose the remaining $120. At this point I no longer care, it's time to look at myself and the value I perceive to be receiving from Rogers, which is very little with their nonsense. Make no mistake, the loss of that money to them mattered as evidenced by a call yesterday from them asking me to reconsider. I left them with but one simple requirement, fix my box. They have 72 hours or they lose me outright.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately, no.  You have to ask Rogers to do this because effectively all you can do is unplug the box and take a soft reboot.  Frustrating because Rogers knows they botched this but won't admit to it and those impacted, such as you and I are on a wing and a prayer so to say.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Suggest you have them authorize a loaner machine for a couple weeks and few free movies for your trouble.

See if the other machine has same prob. plus you don't lose your recordings.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi everyone.

While this is not as impacting as some of the other issues people have brought up, has anyone else noticed this problem.....

I set my default record settings to end the recording 5 minutes after a show supposedly finishes, in case the show happens to go long.

I find since the latest Navigatr download, it sometimes doesn't respect the 5 minute default.  

Even more weird, lets say I am in the new guide and I see two shows that I want to record. I will use the one push record button to make it easier on myself.  The first requested recording does not respect the default extra 5 minute setting but the second requested recording does know it needs to go 5 minutes longer.

Maybe someone can confirm its not just me?

Thanks.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

After reading many complaints on the Internet, it seems that a blank Settings screen is a common problem after receiving Navigatr, but a call to Rogers will inform the customer that the problem is unique to them. I have reported my problem to them numerous times during the last three weeks and each ticket gets closed without the problem being resolved. I own my NB 2.0 and have not been offered any compensation for the damage done by Navigatr. One agent said I could take the box back to the store and exchange it for a new one, but when I went to the store they refused to do this. Is it even legal to not compensate equipment owners if these software problems aren't fixed?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ot_man wrote:

""While this is not as impacting as some of the other issues people have brought up, has anyone else noticed this      problem.....

I set my default record settings to end the recording 5 minutes after a show supposedly finishes, in case the show  happens to go long.

I find since the latest Navigatr download, it sometimes doesn't respect the 5 minute default.  

Even more weird, lets say I am in the new guide and I see two shows that I want to record. I will use the one push record  button to make it easier on myself.  The first requested recording does not respect the default extra 5 minute setting but  the second requested recording does know it needs to go 5 minutes longer.

Maybe someone can confirm its not just me?"

Hi ot_man;

Yes, mine does something similar. It only remembers my default record settings when I am in the "list" tile area. When I record straight from the guide it uses Rogers default record settings not mine. But mine always does this from the guide...i.e. not just sometimes. Another step backwards from the previous Navigatr.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@unun4848 wrote:

After reading many complaints on the Internet, it seems that a blank Settings screen is a common problem after receiving Navigatr, but a call to Rogers will inform the customer that the problem is unique to them. I have reported my problem to them numerous times during the last three weeks and each ticket gets closed without the problem being resolved. I own my NB 2.0 and have not been offered any compensation for the damage done by Navigatr. One agent said I could take the box back to the store and exchange it for a new one, but when I went to the store they refused to do this. Is it even legal to not compensate equipment owners if these software problems aren't fixed?

You're right...although I don't have the blank settings screen problem, I know numerous people that do and unfortunately the tech's standard response lately to navigatr issues is "you're the only one".

Good question also about compensating equipment owners.  I own mine too and at this point I don't think we could give them away.  Been waiting since July 28 for an answer to that question.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@park

Here's what I would like to see changed:

I want a return to the functionality I have with SARA on my 8642 and had with RTN on my 9865 (haven't seen it since July 28, 2015 when Navigatr forcibly replaced it.)

Surely functionality is what we all want in getting to our recordings - not pretty, often irrelevant, pictures in a box. ( Navigatr with its recording boxes is the enforcement of form over function)

When I receive an update to my PVR firmware I expect it to be an UPgrade - not a DOWNgrade.

When I press List to view my Recordings I expect enough information to be displayed for each one so that I can Arrow directly to it and select it. I don't want to have to open and exit boxes one after the other until I find the one I want.

I expect to see an identifiable Title, a Date, a start Time and a Duration. All these we have with SARA and, as far as I can remember, with RTN.

I use my 9865 Nextbox3 mostly to record soccer games. Suppose that over the weekend I record 10 English Premier League games. When I go to watch one of them I am confronted with 10 identical boxes, some of which are blank, some which have identical, static Barclay's Premier League logos. When I Arrow to one of them I get the picture logo blanked out and the title "Premier League Liv...". That is it. This does not identify any one recording from another.  To find the one I want, I have to Arrow to, Select and then Exit, each box, possibly up to 10 times. Not much functionality there.

I want the Recording title/channel banner which appears in the upper left portion of the picture when I pause or FF or RW a recording, to be moved or removed elsewhere as it completely overlays the game score and elapsed time which almost all soccer games display in this area of the screen. This prevents seeing how much time is changing when you FF to know when to stop. This banner can be removed by pressing Exit but again this is an extra button push in each instance.

I want to see a more informative elapsed time strip at the bottom of a recording as we have with SARA which shows a numerical elapsed time as well as a moving bar and a numerical value of total recording time rather than the remaining time which was brought in with RTN and still with Navigatr.

I want to be able to 1 click toggle between seeing Recorded and Scheduled recordings as with SARA and RTN, not have to press List to bring up Saved boxes, press red C button, Arrow 3X down to Show all Recordings, Arrow across to bring up Show Scheduled Recordings, Arrow 2X up to Save Filter Settings, Select Save Filter Settings  - just to see Scheduled Recordings boxes. This has to be repeated each time.

There are many other irritants to be found with Navigatr but the above will do for now for me.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Beautifully said with clarity! And I don't even have Navigatr yet.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @TheArcher,

Bullseye! Living up to your handle!

No offense to Herr @park, or Bruce @BS, but the interface still blows, and since we are paying for this 'service' I don't think we should have to 'make do' with a poor PVR software design.

What is required for a 'good' PVR design? Just going from your wish list, as much information as close to the top of the menu tree as can resonably be provided, and a logical and intuitive sorting protocol for different types of program information.

Scheduled Recording List

To start with, if you have a recording scheduled, individual program or series, there should be a list somewhere where you can view ALL the recordings you've set up, along with the associated recording parameters, such as extended end time, channel, day of the week, etc., basically the info you picked if/when you modified any of the recording settings when you hit 'record.   

This solves the problem of multiple (blank) tiles recording the same show, with no information to determine which, if any, you should delete.

Recording Schedule

This is not the same as the list above, but is basically a list of the recordings that are on the schedule for the next week, sorted by date/time, so you can see that, for instance, there is a recording set for Tuesday to record the Raptors game. I admit to not being a big fan of the little red dot on the Guide -- the info must be stored somewhere -- put it in a list!

Recorded Programs List

Then, of course, you need the list of programs that you have already recorded AS A SEPARATE LIST, sortable by, say, title, recording date, groupable (or grouped) by series, with all the information everyone has been requesting since the new 'Bathroom' interface appeared. This would include the date, time, channel, episode number, description, recording duration for the various recordings without requiring additional button clicks. (Hint to Espial / Rogers -- this cannot be done with tiles, unless the tiles are each full screen width, i.e. lines in a list.)

Of course, this is just a basic, rudimentary description, and would allow all kinds of neat features, like program descriptions that pop up as you cursor over each selection, just in case some wonder boy tries to tell you that there's no room, etc., etc.

Not only do the 'Bathroom Tiles' remain an irritant, they're even worse now that they're full of little thumbnails of each program / movie / whatever, since trying to recognize what the thumbnails are meant to represent is *much* harder than, oh, I dunno, READING the TITLE in ENGLISH!!!

A picture is worth a thousand words, but a few selected words, for instance THE TITLE, are considerably easier to scan through than a thousand words (or a picture) for each recording.

And another thing. While I concur with those who complain about Fast Forward being disabled for On Demand, at least the On Demand TV shows have the season and episode in the description. I was trying to catch up on some of the series I record, just in case I am further *upgraded* to a factory reset, and I noticed a real plot hole in The Expanse. At first I thought I was starting to lose my marbles, but in fact, my 'upgraded' PVR somehow neglected to record one episode out of the eight or so that had been broadcast. Since there's no indication about the episode numbers, and since the PVR is set to record all new episodes, I had no way of determining that I'd missed one until I went and looked it up on IMDB.

The annoying part (and, okay, there are *lots* of annoying parts) was that I couldn't really watch the next shows without seeing the missing episode. AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

So, in summary... Lose the Tiles (TM), and Include the Season / Episode information (TM).

Regards,

Mr. A