UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Hey Community,

Starting today, we’re rolling out the new Navigatr software to some NextBox cable customers in communities north of Toronto and to the east – Barrie, Orillia, Richmond Hill, Orangeville, Caledon, Collingwood, Elmvale, Bolton, Midland, Owen Sound, Scarborough and Pickering.  Starting Monday, we’ll be rolling out the software to all NextBox cable customers in Toronto and Etobicoke.

We’ll keep you posted on upcoming Navigatr updates to the rest of our cable footprint, in addition to notifications customers will be getting by mail, email and text.

RogersDarrell

This was from last Thursday. I know the Toronto/Etobicoke roll-out was scrubbed but I don't recall anything about the roll-out to the other mentioned areas being stopped. Did anyone in any of these areas get the Navigatr version 2?

I Plan to Stick Around

Here is a comparison of the Recordings page on SARA  v. Navigatr v2.

SARA:

5 row table showing only 5 recordings.

Each recording line has: 1. Complete or almost complete description. 2. Date. 3. Start Time. 4. Duration.

Arrowing to any recording also brings up additional information in upper left of screen.

Navigatr v2:

2 rows of 6 portrait oriented boxes =12 recording boxes visible at a time.

Highly truncated title text in each of these boxes and in some a pretty picture may be displayed.

To get useful information, Arrow to a box and press Select . To get information from another box, press Exit then repeat previous steps.

My suggestion to vastly improve the Navigatr Recording pages is to combine the 12 boxes into 2 rows of 3 letterbox shaped boxes i.e. 6 recordings visible at a time (still 1 more than SARA). Now these boxes would be large enough and of the right orientation, to provide within each one, all the useful information that SARA and pre-Navigatr RTN provided.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Except I think Rogers/Cisco/Espial have designed the 'boxes' that show programs so they look like little movie posters that will appeal to people when titles are displayed on VOD choices - so that people are MORE likely to PAY to watch a movie or TV show/series (when each image of the title looks like a little movie poster.)

But - hey - we're only left to speculate on WHY Rogers is implementing Navigatr - because they continue to REFUSE to explain WHY they are inflicting this disaster on us.

If Cisco was bought by someone else or was getting out of writing firmware for set-top boxes, and Rogers was forced to hire some other company to write interface firmware - then we might be a little more understanding of the Navigatr we are enduring - but still - they remain silent.

And @molly222 I want to thank you again for your font of knowledge and sharing it to those who are suffering with unacceptable service with the latest infection.  I suspect that someone at Rogers may even get around to FINALLY passing your accumulated wisdom about the box locking up issue on to front line tech support phone operators.  But if anybody calls Rogers today and is STILL being told to to a complete Factory Reset on their box - then Rogers is failing massively again to properly inform their customers about how to deal with problems created by Rogers failure to properly test their problematic PVR.

Thank you molly222 for your detective work.

I Plan to Stick Around

Since receiving Navigatr, my Nextbox 2.0 PVR is painfully slow to navigate and the Settings screen is blank. This needs to be fixed.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@unun4848 wrote:

Since receiving Navigatr, my Nextbox 2.0 PVR is painfully slow to navigate and the Settings screen is blank. This needs to be fixed.

SETTINGS: IMO you're not missing much; in any case almost NONE of the setting features can be changed

(NB 3.0 & NAVIAGR (since 12/18/15); At least that is my experience.)

I've Been Around

Every since Rogers performed an update last week, my HD NextBox 4642 is turning off automatically.  The power indicator light is off.  It happens 3 to 4 times in a 24 hour period.  Has anybody else noticed this? 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@molly222 wrote:

YtanyaY;

I got original navigatr July 28 and the updated version Jan.12--I believe the sleep function is new to this most recent release.  When watching pre-recorded shows I use the fast forward and pause very frequently, so I am touching buttons, but it still goes into a coma...everything stays on...but the box is unresponsive...can't fast forward, delete, etc. and I have to reboot.  Even the boxes power on/off doesn't work.  The steps I mentioned in my earlier post seem to be a band aid fix for now.  I also reboot my box every night at 7:45 because most shows I record start at 8:00...I call this my pre-emptive boot.  

Hi,

I wonder if the UNRESPONSIVENESS could be a related to the length of time one has had Navigatr et al (I.E. constant frequent updates; unfortunately BAD code, etc.) finally stressing out the BOX?

I doubt there's any reason to find out b/c it won't make any difference to the CURRENT problems (except if it (UNRESPONSIVENESS) is related to the length of time Navigatr has been installed, it might be signalling IMPENDING IRREVERSIBLE BOX DEATH and a NEW BOX might not be a bad idea (but that would have to be WITHOUT NAVIGATR & I REALLY doubt that will happen)

Thank you

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @AHG27   Yes.  It is a very common problem that you can read lots more about here:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

It seems Rogers has botched the new Navigatr update - again.  It's so bad that they stopped sending the newest infection out to the rest of Toronto and Etobicoke.

Maybe NOW they will spend a little money on a few more programmers to properly beta test the NEXT 'update.'  Anybody want to take bets on whether the next update goes smoothly?

@YtanyaY  I suspect the problem of NB2's operating very slowly is because the 8642's were severely underpowered CPU-wise - even when they were first launched.  They were slow slow slow - even back then.  The size of the new Navigatr code is probably too much for them to handle at a reasonable speed.  They simply lack the brain power to perform instructions at an acceptable pace.   Sort of like the designers of the box.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@AHG27 wrote:

Every since Rogers performed an update last week, my HD NextBox 4642 is turning off automatically.  The power indicator light is off.  It happens 3 to 4 times in a 24 hour period.  Has anybody else noticed this? 

YES!

It's the "automatic power-saving feature" which canNOT be disabled or adjusted.

Something to do with a CRTC offshoot regulation (which is OPTIONAL at this point) but NAVIGATR may have misread this part?

IMO it has destroyed the TV watching part of my  life.

I Plan to Stick Around

So I now have a new glitch since the update along with PVR shutdown and no on demand. In the last 24 hours I have had 3 different recordings, all series recordings, that continue on past the scheduled time. Anyone else seeing this?