UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

May be the order of the updates. Mine was fine for the first 4 or 5 days and then started with the unresponsive nonsense.
YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

WELL?

YtanyaY wrote:

RogersMoin:

"1.Has Rogers tried replacing the HDMI with COMPONENT / COMPOSITE(S)??"

I would try to do this myself but

1. This would entail MANUAL LABOUR and I might have to charge!

Smiley Wink

SO as you can see, it would be FAR more ECONOMICAL for ROGERS to do this in their testing facilities (If they have any?) (If they do NOT have testing facilities, I suggest they build some)

WE (all) on these message boards, are really not going to be able to help you too much since validity in testing is based on controlled environments.

Unfortunately, we are in different areas, have different brands of TVs, and it seems have differently behaving NAVIGATRs depending on where the <APPARENTLY frantic> “updates” landed last....

BTW, I read somewhere that BELL also has energy saving features, HOWEVER apparently, these are USER defined!

I read that the USER (me) would be able to decide on the number of hours of inactivity (the maximum for BELL is supposedly 8 hours)!

ROGERS should FOLLOW SUIT but go 1 step further and add another interval of 12 hours! And to really be in the lead of the industry (while maintaining the CRTC's or whoever's voluntary suggestion on how I use my HYDRO-SUPPLIED ENERGY - That I pay for) maybe include a "DISABLE ENERGY SAVING FEATURE” user-defined option!

(For those of us WHO ARE UNCONCERNED about the FRACTION of the 8% of TOTAL HOUSE ENERGY THE BOX uses.)

“Energy-saving tips for TVs, computers and laptops from uSwitch”

http://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving/guides/tvs-computers-laptops/

SO???

Smiley Wink

Thank you!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SDRF wrote:

1. I could see all kinds of settings for CC but no way to turn them on or off? Very strange.

2. Has anyone figured out if you can disable this power saving feature ?

1. With Navigatr, you cannot turn on CC when watching a recording at this time. You must do it while watching live TV, then return to your recording. I have not yet been infected with Navigatr, however, I believe the instructions are as follows:

If you're watching a recording, stop watching and switch to a live TV channel.  Press "Info" while watching live TV - scroll to "More", select More, scroll to "turn on CC", exit and find your recording again.  CC should then stay on for both live and recorded programming until you turn it off again while watching live TV. 

This method is a huge pain compared to RTN, where you can do it while watching a recording or with live TV and it took far fewer button presses.  Having to stop a recording to turn on CC should not be required and anyone who is hearing impaired should complain very loudly to Rogers and the CRTC.  Many people, like me, do not have CC enabled full time, we may turn it on briefly to catch a phrase or word that we missed.

2. As for the power saving feature, I don't believe anyone has found such a setting and it may not be available at this time. It should really be an option under the settings menu, like it is in many TV user menus, however, Rogers may not give you that option.

Hwaiting
I Plan to Stick Around

What happens when you are running a combo of boxes (4250HD and 8642HDs) still on SARA?  The last time an upgrade was attempted, all my boxes failed to upgrade or work (I think they were sent into a continous boot loop).  I had to call in and I think Rogers had to stop pushing the upgrade for things to get back to normal.  

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

Hopefully you will get lucky and avoid the update again.
TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

@Hwaiting

Your boxes on SARA shouldn't be affected. I have 2 X 8642s still happily running on SARA and a 9865 Nextbox 3 which has gone through the various iterations of RTN and Navigatr with no change to the other boxes. Nor would I want it to.

Hwaiting
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, that's good to know.  I had thought all boxes in the household had to all be on the same system.

SilentJ
I've Been Around

I've had the same problem of the system shutting off after a few hours without use. Phoned Rogers, and while the lady was nice, did not have any quick solutions. She said I would hear from Rogers via email in the next 48 hours. Later that night, get an email saying the problem I reported had been resolved, however the next morning, the box wasn't responsive and I had to reboot again.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

@SilentJ wrote:

I've had the same problem of the system shutting off after a few hours without use. Phoned Rogers, and while the lady was nice, did not have any quick solutions. She said I would hear from Rogers via email in the next 48 hours. Later that night, get an email saying the problem I reported had been resolved, however the next morning, the box wasn't responsive and I had to reboot again.

This is due to an AUTOMATIC power-saving feature. It cannot be edited or disabled.

The only way to keep watching is by hitting okay when the <VERY DIFFICULT TO DISCERN> warning appears on the TV screen.

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@boxed_in
Do you have a PVR (9865 or 8642 recorder, aka Nextbox 3 or Nextbox 2) or just the digital set top box (4642)?

The new Navigatr interface MIGHT be barely acceptable with no recordings to manage, but for a PVR user it's a step back to something a little worse than what Fred Flintstone had with Bedrock Cable.