UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@Hodge01 wrote:

ANSWERS, APPOLOGIES and things to be CORRECTED in a timely manner.

I think I can speak for all of us and say

Put us back to the previous software versions, at least they worked!!!!

Amen to that - you're certainly speaking for me.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, Archer, I have had recorded programs vanish before my eyes, even with this new nonsense update.

Checked a recording this morning to be sure it was there - went to watch it this afternnon and it was gone.

Other scheduled recordings, and I check them before I go to sleep, are there but in the morning nothing has recorded.

Also, have to reboot each morning to get the piece of garbage going (along with 2 other boxes) and also several times during the day just to continue watching the tv.   If one more of these people monitoring this site say what a wonderful enhanced experience this new updated Navigatr is I shall spit!

I'm a Senior Contributor

I can do without the apologies. My time is very limited these days with my new "VOLUNTEER" WORK AT ROGERS - the pre-alpha testing of an attempt at coding without any of the preliminary (conventional) steps (that were found necessary in the past to create even semi-functional results) along with chasing after 1 of my 6 remotes to hit okay in time, is a full time <unpaid> job (IMO);

Each verbal apology takes at least 30 seconds; this multiplied by at least 30 times (Minimum) has used up 15 minutes! That is a coffee break!!!

Anyway IMO they are not sincerely sorry. "Talk is cheap" and "actions speak louder than words" really do apply here. (I think)

If I lose any of my videos I don't know what I would do. They all took so much effort (and time) since getting the BOX to record until the very end seems challenging to the manufacturer(s). I'd record as many of same as possible hoping at least ONE would finish when the movie did.

With the *new* navigational layout / features (mistakes), I find it especially hard to keep track of each copy.

Thank you

I Plan to Stick Around

@stoneball wrote:

A Rogers person said earlier "If the box doesn't take the update correctly, it can cause these symptoms. ..."

I would predict when all is said and done, that this is the main issue. Updates are tricky at the best of times and doing them on the fly as rogers does it at any time of the day is a recipe for disaster. I have probably even rebooted/unpluged my box in the middle of updates unwittingly. 

Anyway just a personal update, after many days of updates, reboots, no on/off function, freezes etc, the box has been stable and working nicely for a week or 2 now.   

and I spoke too soon because at the stroke of midnight the set freezes in the middle of a program and a minute later starts to reboot... who knows what monster I will get now....

took 14 min to reboot/upgrade and now seems like before, time will tell

and now the 2am upgrade "Thank you for your patience"...eleven min but no reboot,,,

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Jack - at least with your PVR barely working you will be exposed to fewer of the MANY Rogers commercials that are FILLING the airwaves right now bragging about how great Navigatr is, and how PROUD Rogers is to introduce it to us - and they BRAG about how much easier it is to find programs we want to watch - and how much faster to find programs.

So you must be confused.  Smiley Happy

Your TV viewing experience has been 'enhanced.'

Don't you know that your PVR is now 'new and improved.'

Rogers says Navigatr is wonderful.    We must all be very confused if we don't agree.

I mean - why would Rogers keep telling us again and again and again how much better Navigatr is - if it isn't?

I've Been Around

Just had Navigatr installed on our NextBox 3.0. Having a problem with the remote. It stops working and the only way to get it back is to reboot the NextBox which is a gigantic pain. Anyone else having this problem and has anyone figured out how to fix it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Last night we were recording the hockey game and after it had been recording for an hour or so began to watch it (so we could skip commercials etc.).  Part way through the recording the remote froze and we could not pause, rewind, or fast forward.  Other shows were scheduled to record during this period.

When the game was over we pulled the plug. When the PVR came back up I checked the recordings.  The hockey game recording ended towards the end of the first period.  Another show that started recording also ended abruptly.  Another show that was scheduled to record while we were watching the game did not record at all.

I had hoped that perhaps the freezing was related to the 4 hour inactive timeout but this was not the case last night - my PVR was actively being watched.

Unacceptable.

I've Been Here Awhile

I was one of the first to get Navigator and earlier this week I received the fixed version. I was pleasantly surprised with the fixes. Not withstanding the tiles user interface, it looks as if many (if not all) the bugs have been fixed. The fonts are bigger and easier to read. The tile now shows the scheduled recording date (if applicable), the sort and filter options are retained even after you exit the list, when a recorded program is finished, it stays on that item so that you don't accidentally delete an unviewed program.

So, overall I think I can live with this version. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey folks. So my guide recently updated a few days ago. In addition to all of the other issues that I have seen discussed here, like the auto shut off, my closed captions no longer work properly. I have hearing problems so they are necessary for me. When I turn on the TV or change the channel, they work ok but are delayed. But after 5 minutes they turn to gibberish and then stop working all together. Is this a glitch with the update or my box? Has anyone else experienced this?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi mpfc75;

Unfortunately, when the box becomes "unresponsive" it stops recording and no remote controls or the box control will work...you can continue watching whatever station or show you are on, but have no more control before you do a reboot.  I've talked to Rogers daily about this and apparantly we should be referring to this problem as "unresponsive" not freezing.  They consider freezing the picture itself freezing...I only mention this because they told me they have to send my problem back again (now on day 4 of this nonsense) to the engineers, as they have been investigating "freezing" not "unresponsive".

I noticed yours happened while you were watching the PVR...mine too.  I am wondering if Rogers has the sleep function set for the TV guide and channels only...i.e. if you don't change the channel or push a button in "Guide" mode, the whole thing goes to sleep.  I know this sounds ludicrous...but it seems very coincidental that they introduce the sleep thing and so many of us are having the same problem of our box becoming unresponsive.  I wonder if this sleep function is programmed wrong and is at the root of our problem?  AM HOPING SOMEONE AT ROGERS IS READING THIS AND TAKING THIS COMMENT TO ONE OF THE PROGRAMMERS TO EITHER FIX OR RULE IT OUT AS A CAUSE.  I'm not a big believer in coincidents, and obviously something is terribly wrong for so many of us to have this same problem.