UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Molly222

you are absolutely correct. After having gotten through to someone who seems to be aware of what is going on (presidents office) I have been advised that all of these "freezing" issues and lack of access to on demand  are related to software bugs. They are not related to the hardware. System Reboot and factory reset will not help. They have no ETA other than hopefully by the beginning of February. Not good news I know but at least seems to be accurate information. I advised that they need to communicate this and ensure wrong information is not being given by techs who are obviously not fully informed. Very frustrated but trying to remain calm as it gets a better response and better communication. I have been without on demand since November and like so many others the update this week just added the freezing problem. Also has anyone noticed more of an issue of the recordings "fluttering" during playback. Not sure how else to describe it but is another new glitch. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Gerim 

Glad you got through to someone who knows something. A real feat! 

It just amazes me they they continue to roll this out with no fix in the forseeable future.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Those of you who are having issues with power on or any other problems that the rest of us do not seem to have, should consider binge watching recordings that you cannot find anywhere else and then do a factory reset.

I say this, because as a software developer I know that testing Navigatr is best done on a clean machine. We have to assume that some testing was done by Rogers and these fairly obvious issues were not seen or they would have been fixed (one would think). So, their testing was likely done on a clean (factory reset) machine.

Those of you who had the previous buggy update since summer probably got the PVR into a state where a clean update is not possible. Instead you now have some gremlins remaining from an unknown state of the previous version.

I got my NB3 into a continuous reboot state with the previous version and I had to do a factory reset. All was well until I got the new update. Right after,  I could not power the machine on. I cold booted once and so far no problems with power on.

The longer you keep using a corrupted version, the more likely it is that you will be forced to do a factory reset, because the machine will be completely unusable.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @molly222

Thank you for your excellent summary of the 'freezing' problem in post 180.

Your posting of a complete explanation should save many people who read this forum lots of trouble.

To fall for the tech's suggestion to do a complete factory reset not only erases all saved TV programs, but you then also have to go back in and set up your scheduled programs and your favorite channels.   To do this if it's NOT absolutely necessary is not acceptable.

I think Rogers should lend those afflicted with this freezing issue a second PVR at no cost during the duration of this problem - so that you hopefully have a greater chance of at least one of the boxes working, and you can start to record some of your more important shows to the new PVR and specifically watch those ones - and this may also allow you to go through your existing box (when it IS working) and go through your recordings and weed out the less important ones - just in case in a few weeks Rogers figures out that it WILL be a significant benefit to do a complete system restore.

I'm Here A Lot

Just wondering if anyone has tried leaving the box on all the time to keep it from freezing up so that it will record our programs while we are at work?

Please let me know if this works.

Hey Rogers, keep pushing out this down grade! Great job. But I think you are going too slow. Bigger pushes out to other regions is what you need to do. Hurrry it up. Get Navigator out to everyone, its great!!!

Keith

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Hodge01
Yes, I tried leaving the box on all the time so it would record programs...unfortunately it still at some point will freeze...when it freezes it stops recording.

One helpful tip that I have is to reboot right before you are going to watch and/or record something...you may get a few hours of recording/watching until the next freeze.
I Plan to Stick Around

My PVR is left with power on all the time especially overnight. Was advised by Rogers that a machine with power on has a better chance of getting smooth updates. Obviously not the case but also has not impacted the freezing issue. Power on when I go to bed and frozen machine when I get up. Also normally happens at other times during the day but only when watching playbacks not while watching live TV.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for letting me know. That is somewhat of a work around but unacceptible under my standards. I pay rogers like $80 per month and a very (not fustrated any more) but mad customer. They are very lucky I am away with work right now in the US. My wife emails me daily on how to make the tv work, I don't need this stuff right now.

UNACEPTABLE Rogers

Keep pushing the update tho. Good Job.  Tick everone off, your while data base of customers and don't to forget to hire more phone techs!!!!

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi .

If you figure out how to keep it on longer than 3 hours (before it's energy saving SHUT OFF feature goes into action),  PLEASE let me know!!

I'm Here A Lot

I WANT ANSWERS,

1. When is my box going to be fixed?

2. Why am I responsible for testing the software?

3. When am I going to be paid for testing YOUR software!

4. Do you feel its right for the stress you are causing me and the shows I am currently missing.

5. There should be an email sent to everyone in the effected area with some guidence and info on whats going on!

By the way, don't PM me, everyone here wants the same info I'm looking for.

ANSWERS, APPOLOGIES and things to be CORRECTED in a timely manner.

I think I can speak for all of us and say

Put us back to the previous software versions, at least they worked!!!!