UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Hi @molly222

I'm sorry to hear about the experience that Rogers is putting you through.

I wonder, if maybe, the problem you're having is related to the other issue some are reporting about the box going into 'sleep mode' because the energy saving feature is locking the box up.

This is only speculation on my part, and this may certainly not be related to that issue - but once the box is working - how long is it before it doesn't?

You may want to scan this forum for the posts I mention about people saying their box shuts off to 'save energy' since the most recent Navigatr update.

IF this is the cause of the problem, you might notice a message flash up on your TV before the box shuts off.  But this will mean you will need to spend your time watching the TV screen like a hawk.

Calling Rogers tech help MIGHT also be helpful.  Some of their tech people are quite sympathetic.

Good luck - and know that you are not alone and many of us feel your pain.  (I don't know if knowing that makes you feel any better.)

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi again @molly222

Here's someone else who I think is having the same problem you are:  (starting on page 34)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/243074-new-rogers-navigatr-firm...

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi ,

Well me too - I am beyond furious and upset

But on an upnote, the UNAFFECTED box in my house was having issues tonight (it rebooted; froze; and had MAJOR delays) etc 

So as billmcintyre said it might be something else.

I was wondering what would happen if EVERYONE HERE rebooted simultaneously at a PREDETERMINED time tomorrow? (And did so by unplugging for x number of seconds or minutes?)

Possibly it would *shock* the boxes into semi-functioning?

Anyone else?

I'm Here A Lot

I tried to call in to support to try reauthorizing/rebooting from their end, silicone sally now only says to unplug to reboot. There used to be a choice in the phone support to get authorization of the netbox which I hoped would fix this but no it is not available. I am going to now call when rogers is open as customer support on phone not available at this time, since when did rogers customer service only work 9-5??? Thanks again rogers, improved again. NOT!!!!!

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks billmcintyre for the suggestions...I don't think it is the "sleep" issue as it actually happens while I am watching and I don't get any messages to warn me...it just out of the blue becomes unresponsive.  The link you sent is very helpful though as it appears many people in that forum are discussing the same issue...so far no-one has any fixes though.

Re:  YtanyaY...I am wondering if your suggestion may actually be one of the problems...with so many people continuously rebooting, is it overloading the Rogers system?  Although at this point what do we have to loose?

At this point through the Rogers forums and other digital forums, I am counting at least 13 people with this exact same issue...whether you call it "unresponsive" "freezing" or the turn on/off problem...which is how mine initially started on day one...now on day 3 I realize it won't turn on/off or change channels because it goes into "unresponsive/freeze" mode.

I plan to see if any of the overnight reboots fixed anything...call Rogers one last time...then maybe cut my losses and either switch or just cut the cord altogether and watch online.

Real shame...I've been a Rogers customer for 35 years...it's not a matter of the money I'm paying for no reliable service...if they would actually fix it, I would pay more...who ever thought watching TV would become this complicated?

I Plan to Stick Around

molly222 I feel your pain. I had exactly the same kind of issues but with the last "improved" Navigatr software. I'm not sure but I think it may be a combination of software and "firmware" that actually controls the functions of the box. If the new software doesn't play well with the firmware in the box you have issues like freezing. 

Mine eventually sorted it self out. If I were to recommend anything it would be to try and do regular controlled restarts  (before the box actually freezes). Settings-->Troubleshooting-->Restart Desktop Box. That will allow firmware updates to happen if they are there.

What is really frustrating is that Rogers ( who moderates this site and therefore knows the issues) can't come up with some mechanism to allow customers to get past the useless first line support or at the very least send an email to customers like you who are in obvious distress telling them that hundreds of other users have the same problem and they are trying to fix it.

Worst customer support / customer relations of any company anywhere.

I've Been Here Awhile

Same thing happening to me. I'm assuming its downloading new updates every couple of hours since its got new pictures on the recordings screen each time i turn on the tv.

Problem is when i go to turn on the nextbox, it will not turn on....just the time is displayed. I have to unplug the box and then seems to be okay until the next download. Seems like its in the middle of download or not finishing the reboot process??

I Plan to Stick Around

Exactly what's happening to me as well...although I can't imagine that Rogers is downloading every 2-3 hours just for the sake of adding some more pictures. I'd rather be watching a show than looking at a new picture and having to reboot every time!
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi SDRF

"What is really frustrating is that Rogers ( who moderates this site and therefore knows the issues) can't come up with some mechanism to allow customers to get past the useless first line support or at the very least send an email to customers like you who are in obvious distress telling them that hundreds of other users have the same problem and they are trying to fix it."

It doesn't help me if 100's of others are having the same issues: They appear to have been having them since July (2015)! That's 6 months of *time* to attempt fixes (although IMO the basic interface is ONE BIG FLAW with NO tangible SOLUTION and they should redo allof it - get a new company to PROPERLY PLAN and eventually WRITE a program for people who use TELEVISION).

"Worst customer support / customer relations of any company anywhere."

I am not in business but even with lemonade stands (as a kid), the good lemonaid sold better than the watered down lemonade - the watered down lemonade stands eventually went out of business.

IMO the action / inaction of the company would be a good example as a teaching model on what NOT to do in business.

I haven't called them recently but when I have about this (today's its 3 week "anniversary") the technicians have not even been able to FIND the information!

BUT they are ALL VERY SORRY...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I opened up my PVR guide and tv guide this morning to find the newest update to the system.  My first impression is that it is very confusing and is a lot more difficult to use.  To me this is a setback and not an upgrade at all.   There may be some some features that are an improvement but I haven't found one yet.

1. Using the PVR recording guide has removed many features such as looking up recordings or set recordings by channel and other ways.  The older version had 4 ways to review your upcoming recordings, now there is only two.   

2. Using the recorded guide is now in thumbnails rather than a line by line text.  Not sure why they decided to use thumbnails.  Thumbnails are good if there are pictures of the show or movie but there isn't a picture in the thumbnail so all it does is use up a ton of real estate of your screen for each recored show and it takes forever to navigate through all my recordings.

3. The previous version allowed you to go forward and back in the Alphabetical sort from A to B etc and also A to Z.   Not now, you can only go forward from A to B etc.  So if you have lots of recordings like I do, it takes a long time to get to the ones at the end of the list such as the WXYZ shows.

4. If you go into you recorded shows and delete it, then it boots you back to letter A shows rather than where you left off, say and letter M etc.  This is very frustrating to navigate back to where you were and carry on.  

It also doesn't allow you to always back up to where you were, it will boot you back to Letter A shows each time.

5.  When you look at your recorded shows, it doesn't tell you what channel it was recorded on so if you want to look at the tv guide or if by chance you have two recordings of the same show, you don't know what channel to go to to find out what channel recording you would like to delete.

6.  Now I have several thumbnails for the same shows, some as many as 6 thumbnails for the same show recorded at different times.  Some shows have all of the recordings bundled into one thumbnail but some don't. 

7.  Its really a bad update.

Come on People, you can do better than this, did you not run Beta versions through user groups for a while to figure out where your shortfalls are?   It doesn't appear so because I found several problems with this update within moments of using it.   And its not just because I need to get use to it, this is a down grade in technology, NOT an upgrade