UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

How about Markham?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When will Richmond Hill get Navigatr?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @KWoo  RogersMargaret wrote in the thread on Navigatr that:

"Hi Community,

Starting tomorrow, we’ll be rolling out the new Navigatr software to all NextBox cable customers in communities surrounding Toronto – Newmarket, Aurora, Bradford, Ajax, Oshawa, Bowmanville, Oshawa, Whitby, Brampton, and Mississauga. 

We’ll keep you posted on upcoming Navigatr updates to the rest of our cable footprint, in addition to notifications customers will be getting by mail, email and text."

So where do you live?  Does the axe fall on you tomorrow?  Or do you have another week to wait in dread of being infected with this firmware from where they don't know how to design PVR interfaces?

I'm a Senior Contributor

That is WONDERFUL news!

Perhaps I have a lemon? I really cannot watch TV anymore.

Downloading -> stalling [ERRATIC BUTTON BEHAVIOR] -> rebooting -> "movie channels unavailable at this time"; VODs are undefined (the only fix according to Rogers telephone support is to wait) ->

… and as a grand finale the BOX shuts off to conserve my energy!

Interspersed are my searches sometimes returning results: 6 BOXES across the top of the page and 6 top fifths of a second row of boxes just below.

Unfortunately, the result boxes offer me NO info including the fact that I may not get the channel in my package [but I can buy it in what looks like 1 EASY STEP (that a 2-year old could do)]; or it may be in French which I don't understand); or it may have nothing to do with what I was searching for to begin with.

I have to click on each box - noting that the arrangement does NOT seem to be in any particular order (day, date or alphabet, time etc.);

Comment about the searching: After scrolling across 1 row, the boxes seem to jump to me (which I cannot describe but they do not stay in place, clicking on the boxes moves the box) Whatever it is, I find it FAR too confusing to follow and it feels unnatural.

Other benefits: Reminders don't happen ->

And just now, once again - The box has shut off to conserve my energy (I assume I will be delighted when I get my new hydro bill)

The above are some of the reasons I keep asking why is Rogers doing this? Seemingly Self-destructing and being happy about it??

I finally thought I figured it out last night and concluded that all of this (LOUSY NAVIGATR “GIFT”) is actually a psychological experiment.

Thank you

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in Toronto and got the threatening e-mail today.

It ended with : This upgrade will come to your NextBox automatically over the next few weeks.

The suspense is killing me.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@YtanyaY wrote:

That is WONDERFUL news!

Perhaps I have a lemon? I really cannot watch TV anymore.

Downloading -> stalling [ERRATIC BUTTON BEHAVIOR] -> rebooting -> "movie channels unavailable at this time"; VODs are undefined (the only fix according to Rogers telephone support is to wait) ->

… and as a grand finale the BOX shuts off to conserve my energy!

Interspersed are my searches sometimes returning results: 6 BOXES across the top of the page and 6 top fifths of a second row of boxes just below.

Unfortunately, the result boxes offer me NO info including the fact that I may not get the channel in my package [but I can buy it in what looks like 1 EASY STEP (that a 2-year old could do)]; or it may be in French which I don't understand); or it may have nothing to do with what I was searching for to begin with.

I have to click on each box - noting that the arrangement does NOT seem to be in any particular order (day, date or alphabet, time etc.);

Comment about the searching: After scrolling across 1 row, the boxes seem to jump to me (which I cannot describe but they do not stay in place, clicking on the boxes moves the box) Whatever it is, I find it FAR too confusing to follow and it feels unnatural.

Other benefits: Reminders don't happen ->

And just now, once again - The box has shut off to conserve my energy (I assume I will be delighted when I get my new hydro bill)

The above are some of the reasons I keep asking why is Rogers doing this? Seemingly Self-destructing and being happy about it??

I finally thought I figured it out last night and concluded that all of this (LOUSY NAVIGATR “GIFT”) is actually a psychological experiment.

Thank you

Awesome!

Can't wait to get updated to NAVIGATR!

Thought I was getting updated this evening when a message popped up about 8:30 that it was doing a software update and may require a reboot.

Why is this happening at 8:30 instead of the middle of the night?

We were in the middle of watching a recorded show, so it switched to the last live channel watched.  We could display the guide and list of recorded shows but could not switch to anything else.  Since I could still do some things I went into the settings and did a reboot, expecting so the new NAVIGATR guide when it rebooted.

However, to my disappointment, it rebooted with the old reliable RTN guide!

Will have to wait a little longer!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

What happened to Pickering? 

Steve
I've Been Here Awhile

This time last week (prior to the enforced march to Rogers Navigatr), I was able to off-load shows recorded on my PVR to my VCR seamlessly with no picture issues.   Since the enforced march to Rogers Navigatr, I am now experiencing massive picture blipping issues (eg. no vertical hold) as soon as I press "record" on the VCR.  What the heck did you do to my previously trusty PVR with this new software and can it be fixed?

Also, please note that,as a long-time customer, I am extremely unhappy with this new Navigatr software due to the loss of functionality for general management of both saved and scheduled recordings.   The original software that was utilized until this enforced march to Rogers Navigatr was much more practical for people who do not need or want mobile tablet devices and if Rogers insists on continuing this death march much further, I may ultimately be forced to consider switching service providers.

Awaiting a satisfactory reply.

@mfait said "Awesome! Can't wait to get updated to NAVIGATR!" and "However, to my disappointment, it rebooted with the old reliable RTN guide! Will have to wait a little longer!"

mfait:  after you've been 'upgraded' to Navigatr - please come back to the forum and tell us what you think of it.  So far - I haven't heard of ANYBODY who prefers Navigatr to the old (current) interface (although Rogers CLAIMS through their spokesperson in a recent newspaper article that people prefer Navigatr 4 to 1 over the old interface. 

Please tell us if you believe that after YOU'VE used it.

I'm sorry to tell you @TJCvcr - but you should NOT expect any 'satisfactory reply' from Rogers any time soon.

We've been bouncing around this forum for 6 months begging Rogers to give us the CHOICE to go back to the old interface (called RTN).  The answer has been NO.  Not possible.

And we've been asking again and again and again - WHY are you doing this to us?  Rogers HAS REFUSED TO EXPLAIN why they are implementing Navigatr.  ABSOLUTELY NO EXPLANATION as to WHY!  None.  Zippo.  Zilch.

Some of us have speculated.  I initially thought it might be more compatible with the shift to future IPTV methods of Rogers giving us TV.  And the new 4K box IS running Navigatr.

But some have speculated that the change is due to one company buying another company that produced the firmware/interface.

But STILL - after 6 months NOBODY at Rogers has given us ANY explanation about why we have to endure Navigatr.

And almost EVERYBODY who has used it says the first version(s) of Navigatr are everything BUT an 'upgrade.'

My personal opinion (a little bit conspiritorial) - is that Rogers is INTENTIONALLY crippling their PVR.  (sorry to repeat myself guys) but I think Rogers makes money off commercials and they and their business partners don't want us to skip commercials - so they DON'T WANT TO GIVE US A FUNCTIONAL PVR that helps us FF through commercials.

And many of you will be aware that 'content producers' - which is NOW what Rogers is - in addition to just being the 'pipe' that downloads TV programming to us - well - content producers have fought tooth and nail against consumers skipping comercials and making copies of their programming all the way back to the VCR.  Many of you will remember a bunch of companies try use the courts to make VCR's illegal.  And the same thing has gone on ever since with so many battles on so many fronts.

I'm not convinced that Rogers has CHOSEN to not give us a reliable easy to use PVR.  And even if this choice is by neglect - Rogers managers have NOT hired enough competent programers and they have definitely not made good DESIGN CHOICES in the way the PVR works.  It's been about 3 and a half years since the Nextbox 2 was released - and it REMOVED about 15 very useful features that were present with the SA 8300 box.  Now (the first version of) Navigatr has REMOVED more functionality and ease of use that the old/current version of interface firmware (RTN) offered us.

But more than this - the 3.5 years old Nextbox STILL has many, many problems and bugs and terrible unreliability that Rogers managers have CHOSEN NOT TO FIX.

Any company that operated in a truly free choice marketplace would go out of business offering such a terrible product.  And we are angry that we don't have the ability to really switch to some other companies.  The only other company is also an aligopoly - and they treat us similarly badly - BECAUSE THEY CAN.  Customer service with these two giants has been described as horrendous by many people.

Welcome to this forum TJCvcr.  Thank you for identifying ANOTHER feature that Rogers has chosen to take away from us. 

You are NOT ALONE in your outrage at Rogers - and the choices they have made - and inflicted on us.