UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Sailorman u can use this kludge to browse non fav chs. set guide to all or subscribed, and now when u use guide u can toggle between all or subscribed and fav by pressing  on the guide button a second time.

BUT if u ever touch the fav buttom again you are back to square 1, the guide settings go to fav default.

Also someone says the guide subscribe setting doesnt really show only subscribe.

Also an update. my box survived the nightly software updates and turns on/off without rebooting and the guide kludge settings remain

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @Jack22  You may find it helpful to do what I do to keep track of programs I want to record - and that is I have a file I've created in Outlook that lists each day of the week, with a list of each hour of the day - and beside that are the programs I want to watch and the time and channel they are usually on - and I constantly update this list as new TV programs start - and other series end.

It is A LOT OF WORK to keep this list up to date, and takes many, many hours - but it helps make sure I don't miss anything - because there are at least SEVERAL hours of programming that the PVR fails to record every week - and I have to carefully watch it and go record the time shifted time the TV program plays again if the box misses a show, or find it playing later in the week - because playing many things using VOD is PAINFUL - especially the programs that DON'T allow you to FF - and it's made 100 times worse when the 3 and a half year old bug nails you when you try to go back 10 seconds in the program - and sometimes VOD shunts you right back to the beginning of program.

Others have posted about this annoying 'bug' that has existed for years and has not been fixed.  It makes VOD very punishing to use and the last resort.

And many of you may find the type of list I keep helpful in trying to keep track of TV series that shift the day and time they air.  I noticed that MANY of my programs are now playing at different times now that January has arrived - and events like speeches in the US will shunt the time of your regularlying airing TV series.

@OLDYELLR said "I do believe you've hit the nail squarely on the head. That's the only explanation I can see for all the defective boxes being recycled back into the system. The testing of returned Nextboxes must be about as thorough as the testing of Navigatr before it was released."

Yes.  I too worry about defective boxes being put back into circulation.  I suffered for months with a defective box, and I couldn't get answers from Rogers tech support about WHY the problem was happening and what to do to fix it - so I spent hour after hour searching, and I EVENTUALLY found hints in this forum and on the digitalhome.ca forum that allowed me to finally figure out that the problem I was having could ONLY be permanently fixed by doing a complete "Restore Factory Settings" - and that would erase all my programming and Scheduled Programs and Favorite channels.

And it took me many more hours of research and hour upon hour of searching here and there and everywhere before I FINALLY learned that even the Factory Restore would fix the problem for longer than simply rebooting the box - but the problem WOULD eventually return - and I'd lose all my programming again - and spend HOURS putting my Favorite channels back on the list and spend HOURS more putting my Scheduled programs back onto the PVR.

So I took my box in to be replaced - and I stressed what I had learned that this box should NOT simply be erased and sent back to some other unsuspecting poor user - but I didn't get any sense whether the guy behind the desk at Rogers would simply put the box back into the pile to go back to someone else after their tech dept. did a simple Factory Restore.

The real question is - are boxes that were working (reasonably) reliably more likely to mess up now under Navigatr?

@billmcintyre wrote:

Hi @Jack22  You may find it helpful to do what I do to keep track of programs I want to record - and that is I have a file I've created in Outlook that lists each day of the week, with a list of each hour of the day - and beside that are the programs I want to watch and the time and channel they are usually on - and I constantly update this list as new TV programs start - and other series end.

It is A LOT OF WORK to keep this list up to date, and takes many, many hours - but it helps make sure I don't miss anything - because there are at least SEVERAL hours of programming that the PVR fails to record every week - and I have to carefully watch it and go record the time shifted time the TV program plays again if the box misses a show, or find it playing later in the week - because playing many things using VOD is PAINFUL - especially the programs that DON'T allow you to FF - and it's made 100 times worse when the 3 and a half year old bug nails you when you try to go back 10 seconds in the program - and sometimes VOD shunts you right back to the beginning of program.

Others have posted about this annoying 'bug' that has existed for years and has not been fixed.  It makes VOD very punishing to use and the last resort.

And many of you may find the type of list I keep helpful in trying to keep track of TV series that shift the day and time they air.  I noticed that MANY of my programs are now playing at different times now that January has arrived - and events like speeches in the US will shunt the time of your regularlying airing TV series.

That sounds like a full time job. What is the pay like?   I certainly don't have the time nor patience for all that, .... but if the pay is good I might find the time.  Smiley Very Happy 

@jays77  Yes - almost a full time job - but maybe everybody else has a better memory than I do - but are you able to remember EVERY show you like to watch, and when it is on (which day and time) - and will you automatically notice if Navigatr doesn't remember to record one of your shows this week (because maybe the TV listing has it under a slightly different name, or the program starts at 9:01 rather than 9 pm - so the PVR can't be bothered to record a program you love).

I don't know about you guys - but if a program suddenly stops showing up in my list of programs that are recorded - but it's one of the shows that I HAVE set as one of my Schedule Recordings - well I'm likely to NOT notice that it is missing - and may not notice for weeks.  I guess it's the way my memory works - but I tend to totally forget about things that disappear.  I don't know if other people have memories that work slightly different than mine.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre catching your favorite series coming back off hiatus and new series replacing others that have ended can be stressful. I often catch the announcements when FFing through commercials. Returning shows I've scheduled to record "first run on this channel" usually come back, but that's not 100% reliable if the Rogers Guide misses "new" tags. I also use the Zap2it guide to search for upcoming episodes.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Like many, I find I have to keep tabs on shows that I schedule to make sure they are recording as new epsodes appear. I've been using "TVShow Time" for this purpose.  It's available on iPhone, Android, and a website (http://www.tvshowtime.com/en). Highly recommend this site/app.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Do you actually think the *new* system will be improved?

NB 3.0 (the "up"grade) HAS changed my viewing habits from being an AVID TV watcher to NOT watching TV AT ALL. That's it - so I guess it is not totall;y false advertising?

But the "improved" part needs to be redefined.

As for the "energy saving feature" I've given them the ultimate - NO use whatsoever. (As long as I remember to shut off the TV after completing the SEVERAL cycles of BOX OFF <-> TV ON | and vice versa.

The inability to coordinate both (the box AND the TV) has gotten WORSE with the "up"grade

I have A LOT of remotes all with same results...

I Plan to Stick Around

How can I find my scheduled recordings which are more than a week in the future? The old guide allowed me to see them. Can this feature be reinstated.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@collinsg wrote:

How can I find my scheduled recordings which are more than a week in the future? The old guide allowed me to see them. Can this feature be reinstated.

On what old guide was this?  You can only see scheduled recordings if they're in the guide, and RTN and Navigatr only have a weeks worth of guide data....