UEFA Sells Canadian Broadcast Rights for Champions League Soccer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UEFA Sells Canadian Broadcast Rights for Champions League Soccer

Regretfully it is too late! Losses easily evidenced so far: 1. No more Canadian commentators-and they were very good!2. No between halves commentary. 3. Streamed signal is not cable-far more unreliable

I've Been Here Awhile

@Pauly wrote:
I just want to comment on this from a non partisan non biased view. As a TV customer yes it bothers me that a company like DAzN was able to out bid both canadian sports networks for exclusive rights to Champions League.

This not only hurts viewers but it hurts establishments like restaurants and bars.

Now here the good news. It will back fire. If u remember, DAZn did this for football 2 years ago and everybidy was pist they could not watch NFL Sunday Ticket on ANY cable company. So eventually after all the complaints from disgruntled customers the TV rights for sunday ticket came back to every cable company. So a win for cable companies and their customers.

I suspect DaZN knows there will be backlash and will give in but they want to shake up the tv industry even if its the wrong way but it is for their own political gain.

So just to sum it up. I predict it will come back to cable next year after all the complaints against DazN.

Not only will it not come back but TSN and Sportsnet will no longer broadcast the English Premier League games as of next year.

I've Been Here Awhile

@tpietrzak wrote:

Simple solution . I will never sign with DAZN to watch Uefa soccer . If nobody signs with them - soccer will be back on cable

Except Canadians lined up to subscribe and DAZN confirmed their Canadian subscription forecasts have been very accurate.

I've Been Here Awhile

Apparently TSN and Sportsnet will no longer be broadcasting the English Premier League either as of next year, so no point for me in paying for these packages anymore. If I had wanted I could have watched the games online for free (Seriously, people are paying to watch sports online?) but I wanted the TV EXPERIENCE! Bottom line it's a loss for Rogers, Bell, DAZN, UEFA and me. And it still remains a mystery how a company that was formed 2 years ago was able to outbid two Canadian broadcasting giants.

I've Been Around

That's incredible....I am only watch "soccer" and tennis, about sports on my "hundred channels" from Rogers. I pay for that and now it would be only tennis...Rogers has hundred channels with the programing on the time...that is not fair!!! 

Which one would be our option??  pay more for the same channels? Greed, greed,...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I could care less about the loss of Brittish Premiere League, however im glad we still have Seria A soccer on TLN TeleLatinoNetwork. Which rogers has no say in since they are not the broadcaster

I Plan to Stick Around

I understand exactly what you're saying - I used to watch TLN as well as I lived in Italy and understand the commentary perfectly. What I was mentioning was NOT the Premier - as a British vasal and Colony of the British Crown, the limeys are still throwing us the Premier League. What we lost is all the UEFA games!! We always had them and the WHOLE world has them in their cable packages - not this region north of the 49 th in North America. Champions League!! Europa League!!We all know that country against country means nothing anymore!!UEFA is the absolute best of the best - where Ronaldo and Messi and Mbape and the other transplanted best ply their trade for billions of hard currency!! Gone - all gone - with a stroke of the pen by thecable TV partnership Bell and Rogers - the "de facto" Canadian Cable TV Monopoly. "Rights" sold in Canada not even to a cable outfit, but to a "streaming" outfit out of the corrupt UK!! DAZN!!!??? They are very chic - DAZN stands for THE ZONE??!!  I paid my money - I paid my yearly150 bucks and for sure they'll jack it up next year!! As a last example - this very week - the week of Monday December 10, 2018 - we have our last for 2018 - Champions League Tuesday and Wednesday(today) Europa League tomorrow(Thursday Dec 13, 2018) If you cannot watch live - you miss it!!Its streaming, baby not cable - better have a good streaming box or :smart " TV!! What absolutely fascinates me is that there are very few who yelled and screamed. Very few who protested.

I Plan to Stick Around

This has zero to do with the issue I have raised.

Sheep wait patiently to be sheared . Then, they follow the leader over the cliff!!

Sharman and Dichio and all Canadian boys at soccer TV cable of Rogers and Bell are out of luck.

I hate the pompous commentary of the UK streaming DAZN studio - our Canadian boys so much surpassed them but they've also been sold down the river with the lot of us!! How can someone who cares about Canadian soccer even suggest that selling rights to foreigners for soccer in Canada - the single most high level competition world soccer has to offer - is an acceptable solution and either pay up or shut up?

I Plan to Stick Around

DAZN is your only option to watch the best soccer in the world! Nobody disputes that it is - it has Neymar and Messi and Ronaldo and Mbape playing against one another for real money not for the lie that national pride is these days!! Pay or go without - and be happy with the British Streaming commentators as opposed to the Canadians. 

I've Been Here Awhile

@kioui98 wrote:

@Validemi wrote:
It won’t hurt Canadian soccer but it hurst is that we paid Rogers to krogerfeedback watch champions league. Simple I just got back from Europe and my bill for Rogers’s is over 200$ and I’m canceling it right now and then you go complaint to UEFA

I think, DAZN obtained the broadcasting rights to UEFA soccer games in Canada simply because they were willing to bid more than Bell or Rogers.  It is a straightforward commercial decision.