UEFA Sells Canadian Broadcast Rights for Champions League Soccer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

UEFA Sells Canadian Broadcast Rights for Champions League Soccer

Outrageous behaviour - Rogers cuts off soccer - makes you fork out 20 bucks a month for DAZN

Nasty surprise - Champs/Europa Leagues started this week and not on TSN. Soccer on TSN took a major hit, a clear statement that if you want it you must pay 20 bucks a month plus 13 % for DAZN. I am am amazed nobody mentioned this - like sheep following each other over the cliff, Canadian soccer fans either pay or gave up the best games in the world!?

*** Edited Labels ***

Re: UEFA Sells Canadian Broadcast Rights for Champions League Soccer

Greetings @Cacat,

We certainly understand how such a drastic change to your cable TV viewing would be a bit of a shock! Especially if you are used to curling up on your couch to enjoy a good soccer game.

We regret to advise that UEFA has sold the Canadian broadcast rights of the Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, and Europa League to a video streaming service effective as of June, 2018. Unfortunately, these games are only available online and not available through any TV service provider in Canada at this time.

Our sincere apologies for any disappointment. ☹️

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I'm a Senior Advisor

This, literally has nothing to do with the cable arm of Rogers.

TSN is owned by Bell. If you're angry at them, go to their message board to complain.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Complaining to TSN also wont get you very far either. Just because TSN had the rights prior does not mean they are guatenteed tv rights indefinately. Broadcasters like TSN and Sportsnet Ontario make bids to UEFA who is the one sellng the rights. They happened to choose DaZn we dont know what the reason is because these negotiations are confidential and not disclosed to the public. Complain to DaZn who runs the streaming service and to UEFA for sellng to a non conventional provider.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just like a very old cigarettes commercial from the States - Canadians who care about soccer decided to switch rather than fight. No wonder this British Crown Colony has made the World Cup tourney just once. I predict they never will again. Imagine having the best competition not on TV. Incredible for me but, sheep will meekly pay!

I'm a Senior Advisor

You seem to be under the impression that Rogers is getting money from forcing people to DAZN.

A) the main culprit here is UEFA. They own the product and seek the rights. For some reason, they saw fit to bypass Canadian TV and sell rights to DAZN.

B) Rogers has no stake in DAZN, so there's no benefit to them that this is happening

As someone rightly pointed out, your complaint is with UEFA. Take it up with them that they're forcing you to pay.
I Plan to Stick Around

Not what I’m saying at all! It was a cynical corporate decision that’s all. Something is offered at a price and corporate entities bid for it to resell it to Canadians. Media monopolies in Canada have once again sold Canadian soccer fans down the river. Not at all remote from saying that they kicked Canadian soccer in the teeth once more.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Given that Canada doesn't play in UEFA, I have trouble understanding how this hurts Canadian soccer or how it keeps us from the World Cup.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cacat wrote:
Not what I’m saying at all! It was a cynical corporate decision that’s all. Something is offered at a price and corporate entities bid for it to resell it to Canadians. Media monopolies in Canada have once again sold Canadian soccer fans down the river. Not at all remote from saying that they kicked Canadian soccer in the teeth once more.

We actually are not privy to the negotiation discussions behind the UEFA and it's actually really bad idea to assume or speculate the true reason why the rights were sold to someone else.

In my experience of working with contract negotiations, it can be quite funny to read spectuation from the public why one company did not get the bid, and the fact that I KNOW the true reason when I worked in that industry but can't disclose it, the public is wrong on their speculation but im held by a NDA so I often can not go write on forums to correct them, and because of that their bad speculation keeps growing and people start to believe that is the reason why.

I Plan to Stick Around

This is the harbinger of not understanding the dynamics of soccer when you live here in the British Crown Colony in North America. EVERYBODY who knows soccer follies UEFA and FIFA. Everyone is following the aging superstars they send to play here. Everybody knows that, by far, the highest example of soccer is played by the best players in the world and each and everyone of them plays Champions Cup. Not showing it hurts all involved in soccer education in Canada and shows those who love the truly universal sport that they are SECOND class when it comes to soccer education and knowledge, plain and simple.
Topic Stats