Trouble with hd and digital boxes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Trouble with hd and digital boxes

I have multiple TVs and have an hd box on one tv, a digital box on another and hdpvr on third tv. Now none will work. I had multiple splitters and reduced the number since I did not need as many cable lines. Once reconnected in the original configuration nothing works. The tv with the hd box and digital box say no data and the hd pvr tries to reset but nothing happens but a rotating circle. Any ideas on what to do ?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Trouble with hd and digital boxes

Sounds like somehow in all the changes/removals.. you have removed something NEEDED, for the source to those TVs, etc. 😞

Not knowing your config.. hard to say what/where (where the splitters were.. if all near where it comes in.. or elsewhere, etc) to start.

At least if you remove everything extra.. all the splitters, etc.. so its pretty much just basic lines.. you should be able to get a tech out to help set up everything properly..
(i say remove all you can, etc.. just as if the problem was INTRODUCED by a splitter non rogers provided, etc.. they can charge you for the call 😞 )

I'm a Senior Advisor

Are you using the same splitters that worked before, or new ones? You need bi-directional splitters, at least 900Mhz. More expensive satellite splitters won't work. I've had Rogers in because I thought I was getting a weak signal and the tech replaced someof my splitters and connectors no charge.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i beleive the ones that rogers installed for me, are 1200mhz

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

My Rogers 2-way splitter shows 5Mhz - 1Ghz and 3.5db. I have no idea how to interpret the numbers, though. It splits one line coming in and goes to my Nextbox and an SMC modem/router.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mine is 5-1200
One two outputs have 3.5db and the 3rd has a 7
The 7 goes to my bedroom, which is the one with the poorest cable Run/signal.
My understanding from the tech was that the higher number let a stronger signal through.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

Thanks, so I take it that 3.5 or 7db means the splitter is amplifying the signal. I also have a Monster splitter, which I'm trying right now to see if it changes my signal readings at all. It shows -6.5db at each of its outputs and has a range from 5 to 1000mhz. I have noticed lower dbmv readings on the Nextbox but, curiously, my modem readings haven't changed at all. All the Nextbox signal strength readings are in a normal range and displayed in white.

I'm a Senior Advisor

No, a splitter reduces the signal. A 2-way splitter has 2 outputs, each attenuates (reduces) the signal by 3.5db. A 3-way has one 3.5db output and two 7db output because there's another 2-way splitter inside. If you piggyback on to a 3-way splitter, do it on the leg with the 3.5db attenuation, not on the 7db legs. I even have an amplifier in my rats's nest so I don't run out of signal. It's a bi-directional one I got from The Source a couple of years ago for about $20.

I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought it meant attenuating as well, but got confused when Gdlitty said he used the 7db output for a longer length cable which made me think it was being amplified. That now leaves me wondering why my Monster splitter says the outputs are -6.5db. Maybe its labeled that way to make it clear the signal is being attenuated, which would make sense..

I'm a Senior Advisor

I suspect the 3.5db and 7.0db values are avererages. Really good components could be a bit lower.