To the Ignite and beyond

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

To the Ignite and beyond

I have been a Rogers customer for about 20 years. I had Cable TV, Internet and 3 cell phones with them.

I have an HD-PVR, two HD receivers and the required modem/router. I had the PVR-for-Home system, when you can watch on any receiver what is was recorded with the PVR. My setup was pretty good and I was happy with it.

I could skip over commercials while watching my recordings, pause in the middle of the game, go back to watch a nice play, jump to live broadcast, etc.  With the Rogers-Anywhere app I could remotely set up my PRV to record whatever shows I forgot to set up for recording when I was at home. That happened a lot, especially with the Champions League games starting at 2:45pm. At 2:40pm I would somehow remember there was a game (or two, or five) and, being at work, I would "tell" my PVR: hey, pal, record these games in this time slot plus the show after it to cover for the possible extra time. When I got home the game was waiting for me. That was pretty cool. For this reason, in time, I rented-to-own my devices and after a couple of years I stopped paying rent for my hardware.

Internet was solid, stable, the only sore point was the router which was a pain to customize. Rogers even introduced Shomi, a sort of On-Demand service that had a decent library of movies and TV Shows and it was expanding. It was competing with Crave and Netflix. My wife loved Shomi.

Life was good for a while, I was paying the bill (a rather big one) and Rogers provided the service. Then, for some reason (I know: $$$), Rogers decided to ruin my mojo.

First, they took away my ability of setting up my PVR remotely. If I forgot to set up a show or a soccer game for recording in advance, I would miss it completely. This had been the main reason I owned my PVR. I called them and they told me bluntly that it was an executive decision to drop this feature because the company "is going in a different direction". 

Then they revamped the GUI on my PVR. It looked like and it worked like it was designed in some teenager's basement. All users could tell right away very minimum testing (if any) was done before launching it into our PVRs. We lost some recordings in the process. Some users PVRs were messed up entirely. I called them again and asked them to do the right thing and undo the update until all the important bugs were fixed. I even reached the "office of the president", whatever that is, and, again, I was given the polite and condescending "executive decision" speech.

Then I got an email announcing the premature end of Shomi as a result of... you guessed... an executive decision.

During the years there was the usual riff-raff of channels coming and going but, curious enough, the trend was this: the interesting (for me) channels were going away and some garbage (for me) channels were added. Actually, the channel lineup was increasing but its quality was decreasing. The interesting channels became available in a different package, for a fee.

Not to mention the specialty channels, like SportsNet World or BeIn Sports, that had an outrageous price from the beginning. Only bars and other businesses could justify it, not a normal (in the head) soccer fan. But, crazy enough, I got them for a few months.

Every one or two years I had to call the loyalty department to ask (beg) for the special deal-of-the-day, something I had to do to keep my bill in check and to still be able to watch what I wanted to watch. Most of the time they did not decrease my bill, maybe even increased it a little, but gave me a bit more or some temporary perks. In time, this became an embarrassing and degrading process, where I pretended to cancel and leave Rogers, and they pretended to accommodate my demands.

And then, my soccer loving friends, we got the coup-de-grâce: TSN lost the Champions League, Premier League and Europa League rights to DAZN. What we had in our cable TV package “for free” (we did not have to pay extra) was gone and we had to pay extra to get these competitions. All of a sudden, I realized that the value of my Rogers cable dropped tremendously, for me there was hardly anything to watch anymore.

So I got DAZN and an Android box to go with it. I quickly realized that the service wasn’t bad at all: decent picture quality, live games, recorded games, highlights, excellent commentators and pundits, nice snippets of soccer history, Serie A games, NFL games and other stuff. Then I added Netflix on my box. And another window opened, this one mostly for my wife.

And we still held on to cable TV. There was still hockey on it to be watched, more Maple Leafs to be disappointed with. After all, Rogers and Bell teamed up and bought this team to put some exciting live-games TV content on their TSN and SportsNet channels. Sounded like an excellent and very profitable plan (for them).

Strangely enough, I started to lose interest in Maple Leafs just when they showed some weak signs of improvement. The highlight, for me, was the Hockey Night in Canada’s “Coach’s Corner”. Half hockey, half life, perfect format, pure entertainment!! Then, boom, SportsNet fired Don Cherry over some BS. I really didn’t like, nor understood, this executive decision.

Not late after this, I called Rogers and told them I only want the basic TV package. They told me that I had to switch to Ignite TV, to get their new box and to forget about my old PVR and other receivers. All this for a fee, of course. Then I said I will cancel cable all together since it’s not worth the price but I still want to keep Internet. They said that if I want to keep the Internet I would have to keep basic TV (meaning I will pay for basic TV) because it’s on the cable! After this mess I decided I had enough, I tried enough, I paid enough and it was time for another executive decision.

So I made the call and I cancelled cable and Internet, leaving only the cell phones on my bill.

The loyalty department tried to show me the light and put a lot of effort into keeping me as a customer, and I appreciate them for this. They offered me Internet (at a crazy speed I will never need) for half price. They said they can give some credit for my old PVR and receivers. Then I got some more calls from Rogers “ambassadors”, all very nice and courteous employees, all offering “new promotions that just came up this year”, just in case I have buyer’s remorse. All this came too late.

The switch had been made and I always keep my word. That’s how I ended my Rogers story and I became more savvy in the process. No hard feelings, just disappointment!

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: To the Ignite and beyond

Excellent post!!  I too will be doing the same at the end of the month!

Highlighted

Hello @sorinst,

Thank you for your post and for being so honest and forthcoming with the Community. It sure sounds like you've been on quite the rollercoaster ride over the last 20 years! That is certainly a lengthy amount of time to be with one provider and we truly appreciate the loyalty shown. 🙂

We are really sad to hear that you've decided to put an end to this chapter in your life, for the time being. 😔

We do our best to provide products and services that benefit our customers and meet their ever-changing needs. I admit that it can be difficult to please everyone continuously, but we do what we can. We are always open to feedback and suggestions from our valued customers as this helps us evolve as a company and become better.

I'm truly sorry for any disappointment caused over the years and hope that there was more positive than negative during your time with the Rogers family. We hope that one day you can reconsider your decision and perhaps give us another go! We'd love to have you back on board with us once more. 

Kindest of regards,
RogersLaura

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I’ve never fully understood this about Rogers (or any of the other providers for that matter). When customers leave, they leave for a reason, and oftentimes it’s too late for them to return if contacted by their former provider, especially if they’ve already signed a contract with another provider. Take care of your existing customers and they won’t leave to begin with. This was Natale’s moto when he worked at Telus...why not run Rogers the same way? It’s almost discriminatory to give certain customers (“win back”) a better plan than other customer for a fraction of the cost.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@sorinst   Great post.  Thanks for sharing.  I have noticed that most of my time is spent watching Netflix, Prime, Youtube and DAZN.  I would really just need to add the NHL.   With all the problems I have had with Ignite and the overall cost of my services, it may be time to look into what you did and save money.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

I'm hearing and reading stuff lately that digital cable as most of us have now will soon be a thing of the past to be replaced by the next technological wonder that will cost us all big mazooma. Is it Rogers Ignite? If so, how long before they make that obsolete? All very confusing. I'm old and probably won't care in a few more years. Thirty years of being a Rogers customer doesn't seem to matter.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi Cap07,

This is certainly true.  It already has happened with Analog Cable. Do you remember how cable TV was in the past? where all channels were sent to your TV in Analog format and you did NOT need a converter box? this was analog cable, and it was great but its completely gone now no cable provider is offering it. Digital cable was created for a reason, to get more networks delivered to us and more features like Paper View, Video on demand, HD content and music stations.    Digital cable also has its limitations and IPTV is the successor to it, and its here for the long run.  Ignite TV is IPTV technology.  Other cable companies are already use IPTV such as Bell here in Canada, and Comcast in the states.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They are no longer signing up new people for digital TV anymore.  
Well they do, I think for TV only customers (no internet), but thats it.

That being said.. doesnt mean that digital cable will disappear immediately.
There was what, a 5-10 year, from the very initial talks of stopping analog, before it actually disappeared. 
And that, more than anything, was due to the broadcasters no longer sending in that format at all.. being too costly to convert it all the time.
There is nothing to STOP sending digital cable immediately.. other than it is a little older, less likely to see any real advancements in it, etc.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

When IPTV (Ignite) arrives at my house, what will we see? Will the PVR/digital box be replaced by another device? Will we be getting TV through the internet via our current modem? Seems like that means everyone has to have unlimited data.

Will we be having to add something like this?1280px-Mview_IPTV.jpg

Rogers is offering me ignite bundles to replace my current TV package. They look expensive. Might have to give up watching TV if it becomes too expensive.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

All of your "old" boxes go out the door - modem and tv.

Ignite TV brings in a new all-in-one modem that handles all signals (TV, Internet, Home Phone).

Then, each TV gets a new box to stream the TV signal from the modem.

So, in short, you won't have any less boxes, just different boxes.