cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of NextBox Downloads/Updates

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have been seeing a disturbing trend over the past weeks and months - my PVR is being updated and rebooted at VERY annoying and inconvenient times, i.e. during the day or worse, in prime time.  We have a NextBox 4K PVR but I think this is happening on our NextBox 3 PVR as well.

It used to be that Rogers' practice/policy was to do updates in the middle of the night when disruption would be at a minimum, but my experience of late is that this has gone out the window. Just tonight, again, at about 10:15 pm right in the middle of a show we were watching and recording, the box froze, went offline, and then went through a "ldr" process, full re-boot boot and then load. Totally screwed up the recording of course and also the live show. 

Why is Rogers doing updates or whatever the heck else they are doing in prime time???? VERY ANNOYING! 

If this was a one-off I would just ignore, but it is happening all too frequently. Anyone from Rogers with an answer? 

*Edited Labels*

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Timing of NextBox Downloads/Updates

Generally i think they try to do them later, in the 2am window.. but have seen many reports of people saying 10pm+
(or even durring the day, if its a major update).

Unfortunately with these series boxes, there is no choice in when to do the updates.
As well.. the speed of the box..  Thats a long, ongoing story as well.
They tried to update and mondernize the guide a little.  Unfortunately, the boxes are a little 'old' tech wise, and like running new software on an old computer... can be a little slow 😞
There is not a huge amount that can be done now.. its not like there are a lot of new boxes, etc too.. Cisco got out of the game for the boxes..  not many making boxes on that platform anymore 😞

Most providers in canada and the US are trying to more over to newer stuff.. over to IPTV based services.
Where there is much more technology advancements being done.
Rogers new Ignite service is that way.   
The new box, you can actually CHOOSE the reboot/upgrade time!

But there are many things to consider moving to a new service like that (you can read up on the threads on the + and - of changing)

KADC
I Plan to Stick Around

The forced daily updates to "improve our viewing experience" have no regard for scheduled recordings. I've been complaining about this since virtually day one of the NextBox 3.0 and it's fallen on deaf ears every time. You would be hard-pressed to create a  worse user-friendly  experience if you tried. Even Windows, the world's most complex operating system, doesn't require daily updates and most of those don't cause all the programs to shut down followed by a ridiculously long reboot cycle.

No-one at Rogers support has the slightest clue about what exactly is being updated or why it needs to happen every day, and the only solution they have is to cluelessly recommend swapping for a different unit. It's like they're challenging their users to cut the cord when they should be doing everything in their power to retain this lucrative portion of their business.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

Greetings @KADC!

You might be interested to learn that we've resolved this issue with Ignite TV. Since it records to the cloud, you would not experience a recording interruption if your box reboots. The Nextbox records to an internal hard drive so there is no real way for us to work around any interruption to that box. 

If you're interested in upgrading, feel free to message us @CommunityHelps. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

KADC
I Plan to Stick Around

No way around recording interruptions? How about don't force the NextBox to reset while programs are recording. Years of daily updates and it never occurred to anyone to add three simple lines of if/then/else code to check if the system is in use? Wouldn't it be better to service your existing customer's problems to retain them rather pushing them to alternatives where the sea of competition runs vast and deep?

Regarding your Ignite TV suggestion, how do you get around what happens when there's no Internet connection when I want to watch TV? A rarity most of the time, certainly, but when you can't connect it's also the time you most want to be able to watch TV and with backup power even an electrical outage isn't a problem. (It reminds me of the potentially dangerous problem of not having a traditional Bell landline in your home and relying solely on VoIP and/or cell service.) 

Getting further away from the issue but on the topic of customer retention and remaining profitable, I don't understand what market Ignite TV is supposed to appeal to. 

As for your PMing process, I was left waiting for slightly over two hours waiting for a response Tuesday before I finally received a message that it was outside of customer service hours which I thought was supposed to be 24/7, so thanks, but no thanks. Fool me once, etc.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"