Timing of NextBox Downloads/Updates

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Timing of NextBox Downloads/Updates

I have been seeing a disturbing trend over the past weeks and months - my PVR is being updated and rebooted at VERY annoying and inconvenient times, i.e. during the day or worse, in prime time.  We have a NextBox 4K PVR but I think this is happening on our NextBox 3 PVR as well.

It used to be that Rogers' practice/policy was to do updates in the middle of the night when disruption would be at a minimum, but my experience of late is that this has gone out the window. Just tonight, again, at about 10:15 pm right in the middle of a show we were watching and recording, the box froze, went offline, and then went through a "ldr" process, full re-boot boot and then load. Totally screwed up the recording of course and also the live show. 

Why is Rogers doing updates or whatever the heck else they are doing in prime time???? VERY ANNOYING! 

If this was a one-off I would just ignore, but it is happening all too frequently. Anyone from Rogers with an answer? 

*Edited Labels*

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Timing of NextBox Downloads/Updates

It is a great question, because it certainly is outside the norm.  Personally, the first thing I would do if in your situation, is contact tech support directly and try to get clarification, and have them check signal strengths.  Maybe the updates are not taking properly during the night time hours resulting in spontaneous reboots.

Just a thought, but then again, another possibility is that since they are working the Ignite TV platform testing side by side with our current technology, this work has the potential to bleed over into the old technology - the apps like Anyplace TV, manage PVR, are examples, of technology from the new project changing how our current technology works.  At some point, they all have to interface with each other as long as they are running dual platforms for TV.

That is pure supposition on my part, only Rogers can tell us that, so personally, I would go direct to tech and see if at least your own issue is being dealt with, or is it occurring elsewhere.  Discussion is great here, but only by getting our tech concerns directly to tech can they get to know the issues out there, and to troubleshoot them and flag issues that may be broader in scope.

Good luck with it,  I am always up at 3 and 4 am, and it drives me crazy when a reboot occurs at those times, even though I know it is coming.  Spontaneous ones across all my boxes would drive me nuts.

Bruce

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have noticed that the guide isn't updated either. Apparently, there is no information past this coming Monday at midnight

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BSwrote:

I am always up at 3 and 4 am, and it drives me crazy when a reboot occurs at those times, even though I know it is coming.  Spontaneous ones across all my boxes would drive me nuts.

If you set a recording for say Stingray channel 726 (or other Stingray channel) for that time, then the box will not reboot when recording.  These recordings take up very little hard drive space and can then be deleted say once a week.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rgottinger : As stated by @BS,  I suspect you have a poor signal at your home or in your neighbourhood and therefore the IPG is not being properly updated. It may also be the cause of your other issues.  See the following post on the topic of poor signal.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

Rogers is also currently rolling out new firmware (see recent thread in this forum) which may impact downloads, etc.  Again, poor signal quality can cause problems with the downloads, rebooting, IPG, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

To provide an anecdotal example that happened off our green connector box in front of our house today related to signal issues and performance of our neighbour, but also has potentional impacts on the 5 other homes connected to the 8 port tap to each house.

The home next door had a tech over for over 2 hours - I went out and talked to him about what he found and any implications for us.

He had done a signal test from the junction box to the neighbour's home - signal was high and he expected to put in a filter to reduce the strength -

He found that it was high because it was feeding 5 homes, and there was a huge amount of equipment in the neighbour's home, which I knew already - so the signal had been raised to that connection box to the homes to deal with getting signal to all of us.

He found that there was connectors and splitters that were older and replaced them all, and the signal issues in their home was a result of that - as he put it, coax is a very old analogue method of transmitting signals, very prone to signal loss with each connection, cable to cable extender connector, spitter, the jacks on the cables, and any crimping of cables, and proximity to interference.

So all fixed, I asked how about us - we occasionally have had issues on and off for a long time, they come in but it returns.

His answer was that we probably needed filters to be put in to reduce the signal strength, but phone in and have a tech come by after they check signal strengths.  He indicated that given age of home, we may have the same issues of connectors - the connectors in the house are all installed by them, the cable by the builder, so you may end up paying for work in some case if they have to replace cables.  Splitters and junction points are theirs.

But he also pointed out that given the reality of the load from our neighbours, we may have performance issues when they all run at the same time, and if all four homes are running along with them - back to the old story of shared connections.

He talked about the direction in all new builds is fibre to the home, connected to a modulator to take it back to cable, but each home is on their own individual signal, and no signal loss due to bad connections.  As he said, you don't get signal loss on fibre.  But he also said, that is 2 - 4 years away in established neighbourhoods, and they don't have enough equipment in place.

He also said that they will be implenting a mesh wifi model soon, currently in testing, I think he said, Amplify (the one below Plume - Bell got proprietory options on that and price for Rogers at this time will probably be in 5 - 10 dollar per month range, or as he said, you can always buy your own from most suppliers now.  Pricing based upon 3 year cost of the product to buy outright.

He also pointed out that issues can be equipment, backend equipment on the network, the broadcasters, the boxes in the home, the layout of your home, and so forth, but most often is poor signal on coax, because the reality is that we are pushing digital across an analogue wiring technology reliant upon mechanical connections that are prone to loosening, age, and corrosion.  As he put it, coax is over an 80 year old technology and has not changed in terms of the cable itself and connectors, boosters, and filters in that whole time. 

Just an anecdotal - so yes, he confirmed, most often signal strength, and most often somewhere in the coax from the node to your junction box, to your demarc, and then into your home and the equipment.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

I own my Nextbox and this is happening most frequently. It must be the signal and since Rogers is introducing Infinity, they asks me to upgrade. I am not comfortable with going to this new Infinity since it works on Wifi and if signal is bad, both internet and cable goes down. To this day, I’m having problems with my cable and shutting it down does not work since the download goes through but none of the channels work. I pay so much money and yet getting sub par service.
I Plan to Stick Around

They still haven't figured out how to do this without nightly service interruptions? I'm glad I switched to Bell.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As discussed in post 5 of this thread, the download problem is usually due to a poor signal. If you use the link in post 5, you can check the signal yourself or call Rogers and have them check it for you, at your home and in your neighbourhood.

Although it hasn't affected me because I always ensure that I have a good signal, the nightly downloads that do affect some people can be avoided by setting a series recording for that time - say a music channel like 726, which takes up very little hard drive space.  Then delete those recordings once a week or so.  PVRs typically start their downloads/updates after a recording has finished, after their "scheduled" download/update time.

Each provider has advantages and disadvantages.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having this problem too tonight - my 4642 box rebooted and downloaded twice in a 30 minute span around 10pm eastern.

I've noticed that navigating menus and channel changes are also very slow with this box.