TiVo and DTA50 or E940

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

TiVo and DTA50 or E940

I got my analogue to digital letter today. I'm a TiVo user and I don't want to give it up.

Has anyone been able to change channels on a Rogers digital adapter (DTA50) or a standard definition set top box (E940) using the IR cable (blaster) that comes with the TiVo Series 2? If so, I'll bite the bullet and order an adapter. Otherwise, it seems safe to ignore the letter and do nothing. I'm on basic analogue service so all that all I will lose is three channels that I never watch anyway.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: TiVo and DTA50 or E940

you will loose 3 channels now, then you will loose 10 later, then another 7, next thing you know, you will have no analogue.

if your tivo can be programmed to control a scientific atlantic converter box then your good to go, just check the manual to see what code to program it with

I'm Here A Lot

@Pauly wrote:

if your tivo can be programmed to control a scientific atlantic converter box then your good to go, just check the manual to see what code to program it with

I don't want to pay an extra $8.53 per month (4.56+2.99+tax) for an E940 to find out it doesn't work and be stuck on digital with no TiVo.  I'd rather use the TiVo with the DTA50 adapter if I can.

Looking for a reply from someone who has actually done it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i never told you to pay anything extra. i simply told you what programming you need for your tivo to do to make it work, please do not put words in my mouth, im simply here to help people.

my advise will work regardless if u OBTAIN the FREE DTA-50, or if you buy or rent the e940.  I mentioned nothing about how much you should pay because that is totally up to you, its your decision, your call.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi Pauly,

I know you are trying to help, and thank you. 

You referred to "a scientific atlantic converter box" which would be the E940.  The DTA50 is a newer device made by Cisco and probably uses different a different code and IR frequency. (And yes, I know that Scientific Atlanta was bought by Cisco.)

I know how to do it in theory, but I'm looking for a reply from someome who ACTUALLY has a TiVo Series 2 WORKING with a Rogers DTA50.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would not the tivo support more likley have a list of what their thing will work with?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have not done it, and I don't have a Tivo, but a quick search suggests that the Cisco DTA-50 is also used by Comcast and other cable companies in the U.S., and that the correct setup code for it is 10104-B (unlike most other DTAs which use code 10104). That should be enough info for you to set up your Tivo.

Find people who have actually done this here:

Tivo Forum

And check the Tivo Support page for this topic here:

Tivo Support

I hope this helps.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The DTA-50 and the E940 remote are all interchangable, there is no difference, they use the same ir code. they are all owned by cisco

I'm Here A Lot

I found a couple of instances on the web where people in the U.S. have TiVo working with a DTA50.  One  of them is here.  Hopefully, the differences in firmware do not affect the IR settings.

Clearly, my best option is to do nothing until I lose a channel that I care about.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So the answer is you can use either box with your tivo. one will give you basic channels, while the other will give you premium channels. its totally up to you. if you want specialty channels like rai international or mediaset. then get the e940. otherwise get the DTA-50