TiVo and DTA50 or E940

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: TiVo and DTA50 or E940

It works!

The DTA50 uses code 10014, which is in the TiVo IR database for Scientific Atlanta (so Pauly's suggestion was on the right track).  Thanks to everyone for your input.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Curmudgeon wrote:

It works!

Great news!

Just curious ...are you using an IR blaster that sticks to the window in the front of the box, or an IR connector cable that plugs into the IR port on the back of the box?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its most likely the Tivo has its own IR blaster, since the code he found is used by the Tivo to change channels of an external tv coverter device which is the DTA.

I'm Here A Lot

@Brucemartin2010 wrote:

Just curious ...are you using an IR blaster that sticks to the window in the front of the box, or an IR connector cable that plugs into the IR port on the back of the box?

I'm using the IR blaster that sticks to the box: the one that came with the TiVo unit.  I have both emitters stuck on top extending in front of the window, one on either side of the green power LED.  The placement didn't seem to be critical while I was setting it up.

I've Been Here Awhile

My 3 year old Tivo2 hookup has 2 inputs:

• Path One - from the Rogers E940 digital converter
  • Path Two - straight from the cable at the wall.

With the recent analogue to digital switchover I can no longer see/record some channels (e.g. BBCC) via Tivo and some others (e.g. Vision) are slightly fuzzy.

When my DTA50 arrives (on back order for 6 weeks and counting) will I be able to use it on Path Two by attaching it between the wall and the cable in location on the Tivo box? Does this give me the same dual tuner capability (recording 2 shows simultaneously) that I've had in the past?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, the DTA would go in that order.

Wall jack - DTA - TiVo - TV

But as for your other question, no.

The DTA, only outputs one signal, so your TiVo only will be able to record one feed.  Also, the tuner in the tivo is no longer used.. you would just leave it on channel 3 on the tivo, and you have to change what channel you want to record on the DTA.
Unfortunately, this pretty much iliminates using a TiVo anymore for scheduled recordings.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

I've Been Around

I want to ask the RE's if they can help with the issue of connecting the Rogers Digital Box to my TiVo?

I have tried on two separate occasions to connect; through instructions from 1) the box and 2) TiVo's technical support - to no avail.  Then I was told I needed some kind of sensor wire, which would fix the problem of fuzzy station reception on mostly the Canadian channels.  However, this would apparently result in my only being able to record 1 program at a time.

Can anyone help me ... I am technically illiterate (I do my best) and I'm desperate to be able to watch Coronation Street without all the fuzzy snow on the screen?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The DTA, generally shouldnt make the picture any 'snowy' than it would if you were going right out of the wall.

Are you only getting this snowy picture when its through the DTA, then TVIO, then TV?
How about if you just do DTA to TV?

IF its still blurry there.. could be that your signal is bad.  Might be fine for analog.. but for digital, isnt quite good enough, resulting in the snow.

IF its clear with the DTA then straight to the TV.. its the way the TIVO is doing it.. that could be the issue.

But yes.. PERIOD, you would only be ble to record one thing with the TIVO.. and you have to make sure the DTA is ON and set to the right channel, before you left.

Really... almost ANY recording devices (VCR, TIVO, DVR's, etc... really are only designed for old school analog recording.. which has been on the way out for years (why you dont see many of these devices anymore)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm not sure if the 10104 upthread is a typo, but I wanted to confirm that I got an ancient TiVo's IR Blaster driving a Rogers E940 (SD digital box) last week by setting the code manually to 10014 as posted more recently (-A and -B work). For some reason it failed all the "Scientific Atlanta" tests before I did that. I may have had the transmitters too close to the E940.

Of course my "dual tuner" TiVo is now effectively a "single tuner" but I'm still on an analogue CRT TV and Rogers Digital Lite plan, so the TiVo is miles ahead of recording with a DVD recorder. I'd never driven an external box before (packed up the TiVos when analogue disappeared) and was mostly watching live, which is incredibly frustrating nowadays. Smiley Happy

Setup was straightforward based on my postal code, though TiVo doesn't seem to recognize that WPBS is on #64 but insists it's on #97, so I'll have to record manually I guess.

Pretty low-tech but for $16/mo (Rogers Digital Lite cost) I can record and have access to the great TiVo interface. Old technology can still be useful! Smiley Happy

Thanks for this thread, I couldn't have set this up without it.

=aw