This output is blocked.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

This output is blocked.

I keep getting this message in the middle of my screen saying..this output is blocked.

WHY????

I then have to unplug the cable box wait for 5 minutes then plug it back in and the message is gone.

That is until the next day then repeat.....repeat....definitely a pain.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: This output is blocked.

Maybe we can figure it out.. if you give a little more info..

WHAT box do you have? 

And how it it connected... via what type of cable.. then into WHAT? (direct into TV.. into a switch box.. into a AVR, etc).

I'm Here A Lot

I have the Explorer 4290 cable box..

The HDMI is plugged into my tv and then into the cable box..

The white cable cord is plugged into the back of my tv from the box

As you can see I am not tech smart...this all started when I got a new tv

and connected everything the way it was on my old tv.

The tvs are of the same make and similar model just this one is newer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What's the make and model # for the TV?  I wonder if its an issue with the tv being turned on before or after the cable box is turned on?  In theory it shouldn't make a difference, but, if the tv doesn't isn't in a standby mode when its "off", that means that it powers up from a complete shutdown.  Maybe the cable box isn't happy with that as it might expect to see a live HDMI receiver at the other end of the HDMI cable when it turns on.  Just speculating.....

I'm Here A Lot

When I got to bed I do shut off the tv only...then when I get up I turn it on and up pops the

blocked message.  Then I unplug the cable box wait for a minute plug it back in and it is fine.

I will try what you said previously tonight and see what happens.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the whole analog..digital thing that rogers is doing now.

I don't really know if I have analog or digital but I would assume it is digital..

Maybe you could help me with that one too......LOL

I'm Here A Lot

Sorry the tv is an LG 32 inch flatscreen....it is a newer model than the one I exchanged it for.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The analog/digital thing.. has nothing to do with it at all.

I am GUESSING.. that it has something to do with turning the TV only off when not at use.

You will want to make sure to turn off BOTH the TV and the digital box when not using.
When you turn the box off.. its just a standby mode.. it doesnt have to fully boot or anything.

But i am GUESSING.. that for some reason with it left on.. something is pickug up an HDCP (copy protection on the HDMI) issue, and blocking it.

I used to have this ocassionaly on a 8300 box, when it was running through a HDMI switch box on my old TV.

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I will definitely shut both off tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning.

I really hope that this will work because it is quite a pain having to do the other things every day.

Thanks again and if it doesn't work I will be back on here tomorrow morning.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would you be able to find the specific model number for the tv?  With that I can look up the manual to see what it says about the standby mode versus a complete shutdown.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@yellowsunflower wrote:

I have the Explorer 4290 cable box..

The HDMI is plugged into my tv and then into the cable box..

The white cable cord is plugged into the back of my tv from the box

As you can see I am not tech smart...this all started when I got a new tv

and connected everything the way it was on my old tv.

The tvs are of the same make and similar model just this one is newer.

Why do you have both HDMI and a coaxial (white) cable plugged into your TV?  That's a little redundant.

You'd need cable from the wall to the box, then HDMI from the box to the TV.  While it might not get rid of the blocking issue, it'll cut one unnecessary cable out of your system!