Thinking of buying a 8300HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Thinking of buying a 8300HD

Hello. I currently have basic cable with a dta50 on one tv. 

My my father is visiting and I want to get sports net and TSN for him on a second tv. I found a 8300HD for sale on Kijiji for $80. Will that allow me to get the channels. (I know I need to call Rogers to authorize any new device and upgrade my subscription). 

What is the difference between the 8300 and next Box? Can the 8300 record? 

Any advice welcome. 

***EDITED LABELS***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Thinking of buying a 8300HD

The 8300HD is almost 15 years old.  It can record if the hard drive is still working OK. You will only get the channels to which you subscribe - as you noted you will need to upgrade your package.  The Nextbox 2 (model 8642) is newer, however, it is very slow and most people hate it.  The Nextbox 3 (9865) is the latest HDPVR, unless you move to the IgniteTV package where the PVR is "in the cloud".

The SA8300HD could be made obsolete at any time since it's so old.  I doubt I would pay $80 for it.  It runs SARA firmware, which some people like, instead of Navigatr which the Nextboxes use.  I would purchase a 9865 if I wanted a PVR (which I have done).

Here's a summary of the various boxes.  I created the summary before IgniteTV (IPTV) was widely available:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/8642HD-really-SLOW-is-this-normal/m-p/416264#M45267

Is the cabling already in place for the second box?  Does it have a good signal?

Here's a checklist for buying used:

1. Call Rogers with the name of the seller and the STB serial number before purchase. This is to ensure that it's not a rental and is properly in Rogers system (as a third-party STB) and is allowed by Rogers. Have the seller show the STB in operation if possible. This is especially important if it's a PVR because the iHDD could be bad. If they can't demo, then the price should reflect that.

2. Ensure the seller deactivates the STB or tells Rogers they're selling it so that you can then activate it.

3. You must call Rogers when you get the STB home to authorize it.

4. You must have the cable properly connected and a good signal to the STB for it to function/boot.

5. Sometimes another call by the seller is required after the buyer has the STB in his possession and is trying to activate it (due to Rogers Computer issues - there must be some difference between the "check" and the "activate" steps in Rogers' computer system). Sometimes, if you call to activate, and the CSR says the box has not been deactivated, if you know the seller has made the call, if you insist that it has been deactivated, the CSR will often activate the STB without another call by the seller.

6. You cannot use a STB that is not a Rogers Ontario STB.

7. In the event you wish to incorporate the STB into a WHPVR (Whole Home PVR) setup, a truck roll (service call) will likely be required.

8. Sometimes we get questions about "moving" a STB from one subscriber to another without calling Rogers. This is against the Terms of Service with Rogers, they can find out (monitoring location), and both people could be in trouble with Rogers.

9. Note that there are some smaller Rogers areas in Ontario that utilize Motorola STBs. In those cases you need to purchase the correct Motorola STB(s) and it doesn't have to be a Rogers box, but beware of scam sellers. You cannot use SA/Cisco in a Motorola area, or vice versa.

10. If the seller is not a "customer in good standing" (bills all paid, etc.), then Rogers may have a lien against the STB, so calling Rogers before purchase, as discussed in point one, is very important.

11. Digital Terminals (DTA-50) are usually considered rentals and should not be bought/sold

I'm a Senior Advisor

@microyslike @57 said, you will need a cable TV package that includes the sports channels you want.  I don't know if your "basic" package is an old one or one of the current ones.  I have a grandfathered VIP package and can get Ch 22 (Sportsnet 0), Ch 30 (TSN4) and Ch 54 (Sportsnet 360) with my DTA50 and most of the other sports channels with my SA8300's.  But you can't get VIP anymore so have to choose between the Starter, Select. Popular and Premier packages. I can't see right now what the channels are because the Rogers site is pushing Ignite instead.

As for the SA8300 PVRs, I have 3 of them. The first one was a refurbished SA8300SD I got as a promotional freebie in 2009, second one a refurbished SA8300HD I bought from Shopping Channel in 2013 and another SA8300HD which my daughter gave me more recently when they cut the cord. All of these PVRs have been working great and I have a spaare hard drive tucked away in case one fails. Personally, I would be okay with paying $80 if I needed one, provided it was shown to be working.

However, You don't need a PVR unless that's what you want.  You'll find ordinary Rogers cable boxes for less. As for the newer Nextbox PVRs, like 57 said, the 2.0 is extremely slow with the Navigatr software and we still see complaints with buggy firmware updates with the NB3.

As for the SA8300 SARA interface being obsoleted ahead of Navigatr, only Rogers knows what it will do. There have to be many thousands of PVRs out there running SARA. One day it will all be IPTV or cloud based like Ignite TV, but with people people cutting the cord in droves,  Rogers would lose a lot of customers if their PVRs stopped working. I for one would leave and go Android.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much for the advice. I will give it thought
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for all the detailed advice. Since I want to keep my account in good state I will certainly follow your advice.